Put on your maize and blue,

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by EZE2005, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Tipmoose

Tipmoose New Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    Im not joking Shelley. The way you idolize and defend that lying sack of excrement you have *got* to either be married to him or related to him.
  2. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +667
    When it comes to coaching the top programs in football and basketball all of the coaches have a flaw in their character...they have to be corrupt in some way to get to the top..it is the nature of the job and the business. For some reason, we as fans or the media have wished for these coaches to be moral and upstanding people...some coaches are better at acting and are revered by the media like Bowden, Coach K, and Wooden... while others are labeled scum and corrupt like Cal, Tark, Switzer etc.. but in reality they all strive to obtain money, fame, and power...to do that you can't just be a nice guy.
  3. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +305
    I'd like to hear how Billy Donovan is corrupt....or even some stories of him not being a nice guy...other than maybe yelling in practice.
  4. jisgator

jisgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +49
    Very true. What I was trying to say is that he made no bones about wanting to leave Gainesville and didn't make up any weird reasons as to say that he couldn't ever put on another team's colors just to then go and do just that.
  5. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,146
    You made his point, and Leo Durocher's. If Billy were an egomaniacal jerk who screams at refs for 40 minutes and bullies and intimidates his players, we'd have broken through to the Final Four at least one of the last three years.
  6. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +305
    I'll take Billy's two NC's and recent great 8 success. It seems silly to argue Billy doesn't have great wealth, success and power. And, he's not corrupt and a genuinely nice guy to boot.
  7. phatGator

phatGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +325
    If you look at the context of the "colors" statement it was after leaving the first time. The very next day he made the statement and then put back on the orange and blue. So he did live up to the statement, which wasn't even a promise just an expression of feeling. There was nothing forever about the statement. It was about then and there.

I was uneasy about him coming back. I hated that he felt he needed to quit but I didn't trust a leave of absence to be the solution. Turns out my feeling was right. If my foresight was always as good as my hindsight I would be rich enough to buy my own NFL team and make Tebow the quarterback. But that's not the case.