Put on your maize and blue,

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by EZE2005, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +326
    Lol, but so true. The panic in there in the first quarter was hilarious. I wouldn't want to be in the trenches with many of those posters.
  2. clt_gator

clt_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +114
    Louisville won't lose. And they're worse than OSU.
  3. jisgator

jisgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +114
    You could coach that team to an unbeaten record with that unbelievable joke of a schedule. That's why he has no stress, there's nothing to stress about when you only really need to coach for 1 game a year.

And if you want to know what kind of coach Urban Liar really is, take a look at this article...

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...-violation-recruiting-drugs-program-will-musc
  4. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    They had a losing record the year before he arrived. Yes their schedule has been considerably easier than ours was or is BUT.....they had a losing record the year before he arrived and its looking very much like the bowl game of the 2nd year will be the first game they could realistically lose. I understand some are bitter but there reaches a point where you've got to give the guy his due.
  5. Tipmoose

Tipmoose New Member

Ratings Received:
    +59

Dang skippy. I'd root for satan himself if he were playing tOSU. Yes, I hate the Liar that much.
  6. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +166
    I don't care much for OSU but I care even less for FSU. So I root for OSU and every other undefeated team that's ahead of FSU in the rankings.
  7. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +771
    I won't root for fsu against anyone unless it somehow helps our cause.
  8. jisgator

Ratings Received:
    +114
    Bitter is the wrong description at least as far as I'm concerned. I wanted Meyer gone once he quit the 1st time. I just lost all respect for him once it turned out that his entire so-called health episode was nothing but a big lie. Then if it was even possible to lose even more respect for him, I did when he tried to claim that our football program was "broken" but took zero responsibility for breaking it. Well who else broke it if it wasn't him? Either it was his fault because of the way he ran the program or it broke because he didn't pay any attention in that last season. Either way, the condition he left our program in, the manner in which he left and the way he ended up at Ohio State was nothing short of disgusting.

Now Meyer has proven that he can take over someone else's team and improve them but he's never stuck around anywhere long enough to show that he can sustain it.

As I said, any of us could coach that team and win with that schedule. Let's see what happens when he has to beat one of the top teams in the nation then let's see whether or not he can actually build a program for the long term or if he even stays around long enough to try.

As far as his ability to coach football is concerned, he is a good coach. I don't think anyone disputes that. He's just turned out to be a bit of a fraud.
  9. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +771
    I've said before that I believe that Urb is a program builder, but not a program sustainer. Wait until osu's expectations grow out of control and he can't deliver like he did at UF. It won't be esophageal spasms then.
  10. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    I just don't buy the part about his health concerns being a "lie".
  11. jisgator

Ratings Received:
    +114
    Maybe it wasn't, we'll never know for sure. You have to admit though that he walked away from UF twice and really should not have come back after the first 'retirement'. And if his health and family concerns were valid, I have a hard time believing that they all of a sudden got resolved when the OSU job became available.

He made it seem like his concerns were life and death and if they were it's just a wee bit fishy that that was no longer the case when the opportunity came to coach the buckeyes.
  12. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,632
    He did have health concerns. The 911 call is on record, can't make that stuff up. He DID go to the hospital. However, the fact that he went to OSU so quick, kind of annoys me. If the pressure to win was so bad, and it was causing so many health problems, why would you go right back into the pressure cooker? He took a whopping one year off. And now he's doing the EXACT same thing he was doing here. I guess, in that year, he took care of all family issues and learned how to manage stress from work. I want his therapist! Lol
  13. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    Who says they got resolved? Maybe that's just what he wanted to believe when he convinced himself it would be OK to take that job.....
  14. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,834
    Forget it! No way will I cheer for that "that school up North!"
  15. jisgator

Ratings Received:
    +114
    That's my point.

When Urban walked away the first time, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who was more supportive of him that I was. I always believe that family and health come first. But I also believe that Urban is one of those people that actually believe the stuff he spews out. I don't think that he thinks he did anything wrong to UF. I also think that he truly believed that he did have a health problem at the time. But to all of a sudden within a year have all of that resolved as you said is a little suspect to say the least. But he convinced himself that it's all good so in his head I guess it is.
  16. phatGator

phatGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +355
    When people mention his "broken" comment I have to put it in context. He had just walked away from the greatest job he'd ever had. His own life was broken. He might have really been trying to help WM the best he could. There is no record of him laughing after saying it. There is no evidence he intentionally "broke" it. UM is prone to hyperbole or exaggeration. Witness the Braxton Miller greatest player comment. I always let some air out of most comments he makes.

We have to be careful about time compression. These events did not occur over a period of days or weeks. He did not leave UF for OSU. Tressel was still coach when UM left and would still be there today if not for some underpriced tattoos. People mention how "short" his time away from coaching and the miracle cure. He was off a year. That's a long time. When the problems stem from handling stress that's plenty of time to learn better ways to cope. And as previously mentioned, it is possible he hasn't fully learned. But the job unexpectedly came open at the team he idolized as a kid and where he began his coaching career. I saw his wife in an interview say he was going stir crazy being out of coaching. I can imagine sitting in the ESPN booth watching other coaches on the field involved in a game might have been hard.

Right after he took the OSU job I read a fascinating interview. The interviewer was riding along with UM and his son driving to see an Indians game in Cleveland. UM said once as a kid in little league he struck out looking and his father made him walk home. He said when he called his father to say he didn't want to play minor league baseball anymore his father said not to bother coming home, just call his mother on Christmas. I cannot comprehend growing up with that pressure to succeed. But it explains a lot for me.

I take a different attitude than most people here. If someone gives his all to the Gators I celebrate the successes and tend to forgive the failures. So I appreciate Dickey, Pell, Hall, Spurrier, Zook, Meyer, and Muschamp. I think UM has his faults, but I still savor the utter joy of the 2006 BCS championship. And then to follow it up two years later with another one. Yeah, that covers more than a multitude of sins for me.

Oh, and thanks Urban and Steve Addazio for recruiting and signing Tyler Murphy.
  17. jisgator

Ratings Received:
    +114
    You make some very fair points. I think a lot of the feelings that a lot of us have for Urban come from how he handled the situation overall. Walking away then coming back only to not really be a coach who was fully invested in 2010. Stating that he had to reevaluate his entire life for his family and his health only to walk right back in to a similar pressure situation at OSU that he had at UF. Leaving our program in a shambles and he did leave the program in shambles. The comments about never wanting to put in another school's colors.....

He talks too much and rubs people the wrong way with HOW he handled it not necessarily why he did what he did. At least that's the way I view it.

Hey I don't like that Spurrier took a job where his success is directly dependent on our failure but at least he was honest about the whole thing.
  18. phatGator

Ratings Received:
    +355
    I understand your feelings on it but he didn't walk "right back" into the pressure. He did have a year off and the return was with his family's blessing. For his health and family's sake he might have been a fool to take the OSU job but that's their business. I don't think the team was quite in shambles because the next coach went 11-2 in his second year.

We'll just have to disagree. I'll thank him for the wins and wish him well, unless he leads his team against the Gators and then I'll hope the Gators pound them into the ground (the same for SOS, by the way).

Also, was SOS entirely "honest" about leaving? There was the press conference reason and then there were all the back story reasons. But those situations are always complex. I have no problem with either case.
  19. Tipmoose

Tipmoose New Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    Shelley, your constant defense of your 'devoted' husband is admirable. Hang in there girl.
  20. phatGator

Ratings Received:
    +355
    Could you come up with a new joke. That one was worn out years ago.