Purifoy - Fake FG

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by ufrc86, Sep 28, 2013.

1. ufrc86

ufrc86 Member

Ratings Received:
    +63 / 6 / -1
    That fake was all on him. He had outside contain and got completely sucked in. I hate to knock the kid but I don't think he has lived up to the hype this year. He gambles too much in coverage and seems to be a pass interference call waiting to happen. I hope we get Roberson back soon as I sure feel a lot more comfortable with VH3 and Roberson as our corners.
  2. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +309 / 9 / -5
    Why would the guy we have most effective at blocking kicks be responsible for outside contain?
  3. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +90 / 0 / -0
    Agreed. From the limited camera shots I saw. He was hangin on jerseys and getting worked on a Fake FG. Best play of the night for him was the decoy reverse.
  4. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +428 / 16 / -3
    It would depend on the scheme....if he was going for the block then Powell or somebody else may have had contain. I know it looked like he was the outside guy, but that doesn't always mean he had that responsibility. Would be interested to see what the coaches say, although they probably won't identify the culprit.
    I will say, that kicker had pretty good wheels,,,turned the corner and nobody could catch him
  5. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +237 / 21 / -11
    he pulled a Janoris
  6. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +428 / 16 / -3
    Jannoris clearly had contain on the LSU fake, he just got sucked in. But he was not going for the block at all.

Purifoy looked to me to be going for the block off the snap, if so then somebody else would have had contain. But it is possible he just got overly aggressive.
  7. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,462 / 31 / -8
    I have noted on each of the game threads that he has at least one pretty big brain fart in a game. And they do NOT make him look like NFL material. I do not know what his responsibility was on the fake but it looked like he had outside contain.

I hope he isn't pulling a Will Hill and is biding his time towards getting eligible for the draft.
  8. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +114 / 25 / -9
    I can't believe the guy who's job it is to run at the holder as fast as he can as soon as the ball is snapped (he has no read, no key) is also charged with slamming on the brakes and spinning around and chasing down the fake from behind.
  9. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +428 / 16 / -3
    It wouldn't be. So the question is, was that his assignment or did he just get overly aggressive and freelance?
  10. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +154 / 14 / -4
    Was that REALLY the UK kicker on that play? And if so, why was he wearing #88?

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  11. flgatr1

flgatr1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +202 / 10 / -9
    When will we EVER stop a fake punt or field goal? It would seem to me that on every punt and fg, someone should shout to watch for the fake. Funny thing- ever since LSU nailed us with the fake, at every home game I shout it out to watch for the fake. Seems the players and coaches should do the same.
  12. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,157 / 44 / -9
  13. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792 / 48 / -13
    I know probably everybody on the planet tries to call the play before it happens. But honestly, I was screaming to watch for the fake. I knew they weren't going to beat us straight up, and would have to resort to gimmicks. Sure enough, they pulled it off. I sat there laughing at the screen. I bet this entire board was expecting the fake.
  14. GATORDONE

GATORDONE New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    He's a little overhyped but he's solid I guess
  15. donnydsp

donnydsp Member

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My question on the fake FG is whether it was legal. It looked like the holder had his knee down and touched the ball to the ground before flipping it to the kicker. If that happened, shouldn't it have been a dead ball?
  16. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +134 / 6 / -2
    No. LSU has done this also. The holder always has his knee down and the holder always puts the ball on the ground. If what you say is the case, then the ball would be called dead on every single field goal or extra point try.

The reason it is not called dead is there is an exception to the rule when there is a holder. The ball is alive in that situation.
  17. donnydsp

donnydsp Member

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Gator40. I appreciate the explanation. Before I posted, I though about your point, but I thought it also would make sense that once the placeholder set the ball for the kick, it would only be dead if he picked it up again.
  18. fathertime

fathertime Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    its pretty bad when your field goal kicker is your top rusher and only scorer.
  19. slayerxing

slayerxing Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +209 / 8 / -2
    Most other teams in the country would kill to have a corner like Purifoy and we're doggin him. Hell, most of the rest of the SEC would take Purifoy without hesitation. Did you watch that defensive shit show in Athens today?

Purifoy is solid, and very athletic. Roberson is the best pure cover corner we have, IMO. Poole is a beast, and Hargreaves is unreal. UF easily has the best set of CB's in the country, and as long as Riggs and Watkins continue to protect the back end better, probably the best secondary in the country.
  20. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +353 / 16 / -2
    He either wasn't supposed to rush the punter, or someone else blew the assignment, or its just a terrible scheme on our part.

Purifoy is actually in a 3 point stance on the LOS. I wouldn't think he would do that if he was playing containment.

#14 & #21 are the only two safeties on the play, playing left and right respectively; everyone else is rushing. When UK sends a WR out, Watkins picks him up, leaving NO safety to that side.

I don't know whether Powell or Fowler were supposed to back off and play containment, but it looks to me like UK was expecting us to play like that and just out-schemed us.