Pulled Butt muscle

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by PIMking, Aug 5, 2012.

1. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    I've been rigerously training for hockey and strech my butt muscles by crossing my left leg in front my right leg, then while keeping my right leg straight I basically go down like I'm doing the splits were my left knee is touching the ground and my right leg is straight back.

I was mowing the lawn two days ago (very big lawn) and I felt a twich in my left butt cheeck. It was sore but didn't seem like I pulled the muscle then. I streched it a few times later that day and it felt fine. Then yesterday I used a chair to grab something off the top shelf and I used my left leg to step up putting all my weight (165lb) on it and that was when I felt the pull. Ever since that point it very sore when I walk and god forbid have to squat to pick something up.

My question is what kind of treatment can I do? I have another practice tomorrow night and taking the night off isn't going to happen. I haven't played in 3 years and I need as much ice time as possible and I've played with worse injuries like broken foot, sports hernia, broken finger. Can I tape/wrap it? ice it? what should I do?

thanks
  2. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +111
    This will help
    http://www.oddee.com/contrib_16152.aspx
  3. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +845
    No charge for that, PIM. If you want medical advice you may have to shell out some bucks.
  4. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    lol

I will be on the ice in a few hours and this aught to be interesting to say the least. it's a little tender but nothing terrible and hopefully I don't aggravate it at all. I don't know if I will make the team, when I was done playing 3 years ago I had a few nagging injuries that didn't have time to heal. I had a terrible shoulder dislocation that kept bothering me and hip and knee joint pain that finally got to heal with the time off. However during that time off I did absolutely nothing. So I did lose weight but didn't do anything to keep active really. with where the pain is I think it's more of the upper hamstring area than the butt itself.
  5. Chirogator

Chirogator Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Something that may help is getting a baseball or lacrosse ball and pinning it between the sore area and a coffee table and just rolling around on it (like a self deep tissue massage). Another thing to consider is that this injury may have occurred because the muscle injured (most likely your hamstring or piriformis) was being asked to do more than it should due to under-functioning glutes. A good exercise to reawaken the glutes is the Cook Hip Lift (YouTube it). Try doing that a couple times per day on the affected side and that may keep the injury from reoccurring.
  6. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    It was my Hamstring and I was sidelined for 2 weeks then another evaluation. But by that time try outs will be going on and I wont be ready. Oh well there is another year, the trainers looked me over said that since I haven't played in so long my mind and ole hockey sense was going to fast for my body since it wasn't in shape yet.

I made it about an hour into practice that night with some terrible pain, no slapshots or hard wrist shots since all my weight is planted on that leg and all the pressure goes right to that area. The first slap shot I took I heard a pop and thought I tore it. I went off to be looked over and they said if it was a tear it was minor.

I will just start working on next year now and bulk up about 15 pounds of muscle and just tear some heads off next year. Hopefully by then I will be playing in good colors (orange and blue) and not crimson.
  7. holloffamer

holloffamer New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Or you can also use a coke or beer bottle. Ouch. Just the thought of that hurts.