PS4 vs XBox One

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by demosthenes, Nov 19, 2013.

1. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +956
    For my birthday my wife just gave me an IOU for one of these two systems since they're currently sold out/not on sale. I own both of their predecessors from B.M. (before marriage) but under the wife's watchful eye I will get to buy only one this time around. I'm really struggling with this since they're so similar (first world problem). I feel like I going to pick one and the old Templar Knight is going to pop up and say I chose poorly.

Generally I bought games for my PS3 in part because online was free. Both now charge so that reason is moot. Cost is not an issue either.

I've started leaning toward the Xbox because I think my daughter and wife *may* enjoy the kinect feature whereas I don't think the PS4's camera is as developed/functional.

Thoughts? Any major differences I'm not addressing? Exclusives better with one system or the other?
  2. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    Once XBOX changed all the weird crap that everyone complained about they basically ended up the same. PS4 had originally wanted to try out some newer different processor but abandoned that when it would be more difficult for the developers to make games.

I am leaning towards PS4 and was actually going to buy one at launch but by the time I had decided to they were all basically gone. Glad i waited as there were a bunch of them that were apparently DOA.

So, by the time I jump in to the next gen I may change my mind. I will keep watching the exclusives to see which system has the ones I like more.
  3. Potzer01

Potzer01 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +206
    The consoles are generally the same. The PS4 ended up with the performance edge. It is a better game playing device this time around. Sony has done this console correctly, learning from their mistakes of last generation.

The wife will prefer the xbone... Being able to easily video conference from the TV is a game changer for communication imo. The machine is 90% of a high end Windows 8 desktop. I don't know much about the cable box functionality but it's supposed to be a thing. The xbone is also going to take some time to get their system software perfected. They're still dropping sdk updates to developers. Games will be patching frequently as a result.
  4. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,573
    I think Xbox still forces you to get the Kinect so Im going with PS4. Their BS lost this customer.
  5. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +956
    Went with the Xbox. Managed to find one at Target on Friday morning. Loving it so far. I actually really like the Kinect. The voice searching and commands are pretty cool and it seems to track really well. I'm actually excited to see what uses developers will have for it. Some may think it's a disadvantage bundling the Kinect but it guarantees developers will use it more unlike the PS4.

I was back and forth between the two but I'm glad I went with the Xbox, especially since I'll be able to play Sony exclusives on my PS3.
  6. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    I agree that the kinect is a positive more than a negative.
  7. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,312
    3rd party developers will develop for the lowest common denominator when systems are fairly similar. That means you'll probably see some really good and innovative use of kinect (which is better, but still sort of a novelty as an actual gaming input device as the hardware isn't quite where it needs to be yet) on first party games and 2nd party exclusive developers, but cross-platform 3rd party games I think will make little use of it beyond some optional input that isn't make or break like the voice commands on battlefield.

The next gen of kinect is what I think will be truly functional, intuitive, and beneficial as an input device, and I would bet that is when Sony steps up with a true useable equivalent packaged in.

I picked up both systems, but all cross-platform games I have purchased on PS4. I picked up Ryse and Forza for XBOne
  8. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +956
    How is Ryse? I can't tell if it is one of those games that gets old quickly.
  9. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,312
    I actually haven't played it yet. I just picked up my XBOne Saturday Night and have not hooked it up yet. As a matter of fact, neither Ryse nor Forza is in my possession yet. Best Buy apparently picked the slowest method possible even though I picked the free expedited option. My PS4 games were here several days before my system was.

I'm still working on AC4 on PS4, though, so I doubt I'll be breaking into it for another week or so.
  10. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +956
    I picked up AC4 too. Haven't opened it yet as I'm playing Ghosts right now.
  11. sacodawson

sacodawson Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    I bought the Ps4, and it is an excellent console. Once you open the box, you will get a 1 month free subscription to PS Plus, HDMI cord, Ear piece $10 PS store credit, 1 month free Music Unlimited, and 5 free game that can be immediately downloaded from PSN. Man, this is a nice treat!

*Walmart has a pre- black Friday sale where all PS4 games are now $49.00. The last day of the sale is Wednesday. The price will be $59.99 on Nov 28.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  12. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,417
    I am still waiting to see more reviews. I have always been an xbox guy but I am considering the PS4
  13. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +956
    I'm really liking the Xbox One. Tried the demo for the jet skiing game and the Kinect worked really well (except for using it to hit buttons before playing). It was actually a lot of fun and can see the how future releases like bowling would be fun too.

Graphics and speed are top notch too. I really have no complaints. After I move in a couple weeks I'm going to try running everything through the Xbox to see how it performs as a media hub.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. deborahtroyer

deborahtroyer New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  15. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +747
    Waiting on H-Hour. If it is truly the SOCOM2 spiritual successor, PS4 wins hands down for me. If not, I'm probably going to migrate to a PC gamer since the NCAA series is dead.

XBone has no shot, not because I don't think it's a good console, but because console lost the last exclusive that was holding onto me (maybe).
  16. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,753
    I ran into a freind that works at a Games Stop. Said ps4's have been flying off shelves. Xbox one is doing "ok". They can't keep enough ps4's in stock. Personally, I haven't bought it yet. I will eventually, though. (Ps4)
  17. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +956
    After 5 weeks the PS4 has sold 2.37 million units and the Xbox One 1.84 after four weeks. It was always expected that the PS4 would outsell the Xbox due to its pricing strategy.
  18. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,753
  19. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +747
    Well, I discovered my better half made the decision for me and got me a PS4 for Christmas.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +865
    That math comes out to...
    PS4 = 474,000 units per week
    XB1 = 460,000 units per week

Not exactly a huge difference there