Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Proud of my university!

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ldgator, Apr 26, 2024.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sasse is in the “I’m getting great press so I’m gonna keep speaking publicly phase”.

• Like Like x 1
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Maybe the upside to this is he decides he wants to do politics again and he'll just leave of his own accord to lose a GOP primary to a guy named Chudwick Burgens running on reopening the Pizzagate investigation

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Israel doesn’t speak for all Jews across the World. Never has, doesn’t try to. Israel is a place where all Jews are welcome. Your understanding of the Jewish State is misguided.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Well, when I criticize Israeli policy and Zionism as an ideology and get called "anti-Semitic" I beg the differ

5. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Being complimented by Christina Pushaw is a badge of shame

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    The issue is that Palestine was never a State. There have been communities (not in what is Israel-proper) that referred to themselves as Palestine, but it was not a self-governing, Nationalistic State, where the people called themselves Palestinians. Israel was reborn, by the blessing and law of the entire world-body, following WW2. It is not going to go away.

And make no mistake, these protests are not about a peaceful co-existence (because most rational people would certainly look for such a solution). Hamas and its ilk is not seeking its own state to sit side-by-side with Israel, they want Israel erased. That’s not me making stuff up, that’s in their charter, literature, elevator speeches and o their hearts. It’s in the literature that the Hamas-supported student protests have in their encampments. That’s what the dip-weed, so-called student-protesters are claiming in their interviews.

The protests have nothing to do with peace and harmony. They are about the erasure of the Jewish State.

Here’s an example of the filth that the so-called students are advocating:
    University of Texas anti-Israel encampment sees Hamas propaganda, weapons

7. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Yiy still don’t have an accurate understanding of Zionism. And if your criticism of Zionism is that there should be no Jewish State, then maybe the self-inscribed labels you put to yourself are dead-on accurate.

As for Israeli policy, I’m not onboard with certain of their current government’s policies, but there’s no way there can be a change in leadership during the War. And that is another topic altogether.

8. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Neither was Israel for that matter? Not sure why this is a big deal one way or the other. There were Palestinian nationalists negotiating with the British at the same time as Zionists after WWI. The British favored the Zionists, probably not for the most savory of reasons, just the hierarchy of Anglo racism at work.

9. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    There's a reason why liberal Zionism is dead and buried, its full of contradictions like yours. That's why they have disappeared in Israel electorally and are increasingly coming under fire in the Democratic coalition. Say what you will, but the right-wingers that rule the country certainly have a clearer vision and have realized they can offend and defy American/international sensibilities with impunity.

Last edited: May 8, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    This is still ahistorical erasure. There were administrative units of empires referred to as "Palestine" for hundreds of years. Palestinians existed and referred to themselves as such. It was not a word invented by the British or in the aftermath of their rule.

The assumption that all protests are in full agreement with Hamas is how one views out-groups rather than an accurate depiction. Out-groups tend to be viewed as being entirely cohesive when they don't tend to be so. Hamas is terrible (and its foundations are found in all of the horror of the region for the past 80 years, including events like the forcible removal of many of their families by militias and the IDF so that Israel could be majority Jewish as well as the military attacks on Israel to expel that government and, at times, the Jewish people, from the region). But you can't claim that every protester agrees with the complete elimination of Jewish people from that region. In the same way that there are people in Israel that would eliminate all Palestinians from the region, which doesn't mean that Palestinians or their supporters should suppose that is all Israelis. It is important in examining conflicts like this not to entrench into in-group/out-group mentalities.

Last edited: May 8, 2024
  11. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    There is no “liberal Zionism.” There is Zionism, which is straight forward. I’ve said it before, Netanyahu is not my guy, but he fortuitously sat as leader when Hamas invaded in October 7.

12. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I am obviously not speaking for every protester on every campus. I am speaking about the messages that they keep screaming, which boils down to the protest that there is an Israel, when they want Palestine in lieu of Israel.

13. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Like most politicians, he has a talent for making empty promises. "UF will always uphold speech and assembly rights ... ." Let me know when the clock starts on that "always." Certainly hasn't started yet.

14. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    There definitely is (like any ideology there are different strains), and it was pretty dominant in Israel until the late 70s when the Likudists finally put the old labor coalition out of power.

15. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    If some folks are protesting the existence of Israel, that's their right. Filing lawsuits to shut them up or retaliate against them violates that right and is an abuse of the legal system.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I suspect that, if you spoke to them individually, you would find that many might interpret their own words in a different way than you are. I'd imagine that there are a variety of positions amongst even protestors, ranging from a two-state solution but without the mass slaughter occurring in Gaza right now (regardless of justification, it is hard to argue that a lot of civilians are being slaughtered and protesters likely put the blame primarily on Israel for that), a single-state solution in which everybody lives in the same country, to a single state solution with forced expulsion as some sort of payback for the expulsions in the late 40s, to, at its worst, expulsion or genocide on the other side.

17. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    There are different versions of Zionism. Some Zionists believe that Zionism includes the forcible expulsion of non-Jewish people from the river-to-the-sea, to use the phrase utilized by Palestinians (I believe they utilize a slightly different phrase with the same meaning). Others believe in a two-state solution in which there is a Jewish and a non-Jewish state, with, at times, dramatic differences as to where the borders would be located or how a Jewish state would treat non-Jewish people both within and outside of its borders. There are numerous opinions as to what Zionism entails and doesn't.

18. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Debating the conduct of War, which by definition is tragic and horrific, is fair game. I’d be in favor of removing all borders, everywhere. But I don’t think humanity has evolved to accept that. And so while we have borders, we will have war.

19. ldgator

ldgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    As he should, IMO.

20. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    What “Zionist” believe in the forcible expulsion of non-Jewish people? That’s not Zionism, that is unacceptable fundamental radicalism. And at the expense of repetition, Israel has MILLIONS of Arab-Israelis, who live and contribute in every way of life (judges, legislatures, lawyers, teachers, professors, businessmen, etc).

• Winner Winner x 1