Program at a crossroads

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by EZE2005, Feb 5, 2014.

1. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +520
    I think we can all agree that the class was outstanding, then add in the fact that we just came off 4-8 season, its very impressive. I have been saying this long before yesterday, but again, in this class most of our top rated recruits were defense. I think defense wins championships and love that it is the pillar of our team, but we have to have an offense that can score 30 a game( i can't imagine anyone disagree).

Due to the lack of offensive output and instability with our O-Coordinators, those 5* guys are weary about coming here. Its hard to blame them after you watch the steady decline through the last 3 years. UF has finished worse than 100th in total offense 3 years in a row, thats scary. Of course its not always about stars, if you develop a 3*/4* they can become electric but again; we have not proven to be able to do that either so it is a tough challenge to sell guys on the offense. The proof is in the pudding, while we all are happy to have Harris, Worton and Sousa; FSU was more than happy to trade them for Cook and Lane. And please don't act like we don't want Cook and Lane just because they are 17/18 yrs old that played UF and the coaches. If they decided to come tommorow this recruiting forum would be estatic.

This is why the OP was spot on, this is a crossroads sort of year. If recruits see improvements, excitement, and a better chance to shine nationally(because i can't imagine one player that wasn't embarassed about this year) then maybe those 5* guys come our way. All we need to show is improvement and stability and we have already put us in the mix for better offensive players. Its not like these guys don't want to come here because of the school, were in the mix with alot of these guys because UF is UF. Show improvement this year and we will reap the benefits down the road.
  2. Crusher

Crusher Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +153
    Not sure I concur. I'll say very good (an A) on D but 1 LB and 1 Buck LB/DE short of outstanding (A+). On O I'll give it a B or good. I thought last year's class with all of the receivers and 2 RB's was better, maybe a (B+).
  3. jaxgator1991

Ratings Received:
    +520
    Sure, but we didn't need those defensive positions after what we got last year, I expect the 2015 class to be fill those positions. I think the rest of my post pretty much tells you I agree with offense. However we needed O-line and we got it in bunches, that was #1 importance. Last year's class had talent at RB and receiver, with a few solid redshirts that we don't know about yet. So it wasn't terrible, it just sucks to miss out of 5* guys that wanted to come here and we scared them off. Overall we addressed positions of need very well and overall top 10 throughout ranking services; pretty outstanding coming off that season of embarrassment.
  4. Crusher

Crusher Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +153
    I disagree, UF had to resort to a walk-on LB playing against GSU last year. Additionally, we just lost our starting buck LB/DE to the pro's 1 year early and didn't replace him. You need a lot of LB's when you run a 3-4, and a complete whiff in any one class is not good. As far as 2015, I don't count my chickens until they hatch.
  5. jaxgator1991

Ratings Received:
    +520
    Understandable, the one thing I don't doubt is Muschamps ability to get defensive guys. He's got a solid track record of making studs and putting them in the NFL. I'm not concerned about 2015 on the defense yet. Agree that its not good to whiff, however if were going to wiff, its good to do it on a year after we just stocked up pretty well the year before.
  6. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,774
    I think it's hard to call it a whiff, when you don't recruit LBs by design.

We are very confident in the guys we have on campus. Taylor, Morrison, Ball, Davis, Anzalone, McMillan, Rolin, and Powell... that's 8 guys for 3 spots... when we play 3 backers. We are very often in nickel and only playing two LBs.

Buck is a unique position - part LB, part DE. We have Fowler, McAllister and Sherrit there, plus I think Rolin could fit that very well.

We have numbers for this year and next. We just need to develop them, and follow with a good class in 2015.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +990
    So Powell is staying now??
  8. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,774
    Sorry - meant Fowler for Buck. Just fixed it.

We do have Jeremi Powell at LB.
  9. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +990
    Thx, I got excited for a second!
  10. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    I'm totally amazed that so many intelligent Gator fans are soooooo obsessed with recruiting! C'mon guys…its not who you recruit, its how you coach them! We are always going to have a terrific class based on the talent in Florida, and the recruiting ability of our coaching staff! We will get our fair share of great players! If we coach them up like SOS and Meyer did…..we will win titles! If not….Saban will win. Pretty simple!
  11. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,774
    It's definitely both who you get and how you coach them.

Don't think we get either of our last two championships without Harvin and TT. Both of them were critical - even in '06.
  12. roflcopter

roflcopter Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +200
    Moss was critical in 06
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1