1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Problems I saw in the Toledo game (non passing game thread please)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Sep 4, 2013.

1. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    The risk reward of a few yards just makes your argument wrong. Im sorry.
  2. neisgator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Endzone. Period. Always. Only time I am not for it is when we kick off at the 50 yardline do to a penalty on the other team. In that scenario, high and near the goal line.
  3. gatorowen

gatorowen Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    I guess we will know the answer the first time we kickoff Sat. He is one guy you might not want to kick too. I hope we kick off to them a lot Sat.
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,092
    Yes
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    Yep. And on top of that, when they changed the rule, they moved the kicking team up 5 yards closer. They really want to encourage touchbacks, but by moving the kicking team up 5 yards closer, you allow coverage to get down field that much faster. It's better to put a hanging kick that lands around the 5, and if everyone stays lane disciplined, you'll stop the other team around the 15 almost every time.

Edit; this is assuming you have a kicker capable of kicking it high with distance.
  6. neisgator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Wouldn't the fact that they moved touchbacks to the 25 mean they aren't encouraging touchbacks?
  7. MiamiGator79

MiamiGator79 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    I'm worried about the OL depth, one injury and we could be in a really bad situation.
  8. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +862
    Who is injured besides Halapio? Anyone else?
  9. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    The idea is that by moving the kickoff team 5 yards forward, and the touchback to the 25, that even weak kickers will get the ball into the endzone, and would encourage the return team to just take the touchback.

Touchbacks definitely were up last year compared to previous years, but this concept is exploitable, and obviously far from perfect.
  10. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,092
    Depth-wise, we are fine, chiefly because of our versatility. Koehne and Moore have each worked at all five spots, while Garcia and Silberman can do both left guard and left tackle. With Brown and Thurman, that gives us eight; when Halapio gets back, we are at nine.

In terms of stability, we are struggling right now. We only one returning starter back this past Saturday. We need Halapio in a bad way.
  11. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +454
    Issues at Left Tackle. Surprised to see JD get sacked while rushing 3 against our 5. The other issue I think that has been persistent is Roberson getting called for holding or interference. I think he is a special talent, however I think he gambles alot and has to grab to make up for guessing wrong.
  12. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I dont think Roberson actually PI on that play but if we are going to ask our corners to play so much man you have so expect a few PI calls during the year.
  13. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    Are you talking about one of the sacks where he fumbled? If so, Tyler Moore took responsibility for one of them, saying that he missed his assignment on the play. I think he's a guy who won't make many more mistakes like that. On the other fumble, it looked like Jeff thought Mack Brown would pick up the blitz, which he was supposed to do but didn't. Matt Jones is back this week and significantly stronger in pass protection. If you're talking about another play then I don't know.
  14. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +454
    No, not the fumble where Mack didn't pick up the blitz.. that was on the right side.

There was a play where they dropped into a zone, rushed 3 and we had 5 blocking. Their right end did a combo speed/bull rush and went right around/through Humphries.
    Humprhies was having a big problem with their end. I don't remember his name.
  15. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +643
    1) The kicking game should be a concern. He's got a great leg, but that miss was awful. It took Sturgis a while to come around.

2) He'll be fine.

3) I wish I could watch a replay of the game to see what you're talking about. I thought they tackled well for the most part, and they were pretty tight in coverage all game. To me Riggs stood out, but I heard Durkin comment that he wanted us to do a better job of "wrapping up". Anyway, Purifoy missed a couple of tackles in the opener last season, and he turned out to be a fine tackler.

4) Jadaveon Clowney wasn't all that impressive last Thursday. I'd give a young player like Cox a few games before I'd talk about not being impressed with him. I heard that both Cummings and Jacobs had a solid camp.

5) I do like Roberson returning punts. Again, though, I think Patton needs a few more games to prove himself as a returner before you talk about giving someone else a try.

6) Agree. On a positive note, though, there weren't as many on the offensive line. But the penalties have to stop.

Again, you can only take so much from opening day. It's natural to critique, but wise to go off of what the coaches say regarding each player's performance. A lot of these younger guys had really good fall camps, and usually don't start to bust out until that game four/game five mark. They need time to adapt to the speed of the game. You know better than anyone else that it just takes time.
  16. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
  17. reel_gator

reel_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Has anybody considered the talent level of Toldeo? We dominated both sides of the lines for most snaps and this was a game you wanna get out of without serious injuries. Misson accomplished.

This saturday we will see how well our OL plays against an average Univ of New Jersey @ Coral Gables DL that doesnt have that much depth. We will be looking to keep their offense on the sidelines and its ground and pound time for Jones and company....which will also open up the passing.

Duke is a very very good runner and gang tackling will be at a premium...its fly to ball and limit the damage. With our DL & secondary I feel good about turnover possibilities if the Ibis bunch cant run effectively...third and longs will have us ready to snag a few balls.

Which ever team runs the ball the best is likely 90% chance of being a winner if it doesnt lay the ball on the ground. Look for the Ibis's to stack the line to stop the run early on and we will have to try misdirection/trickeration to p/u first downs.
  18. MiamiGator79

MiamiGator79 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    Maybe depth was the wrong word...versatility is great, but it would be nice to play each guy at the spot he excels at most instead of playing musical chairs every time a guy gets nicked up. Is it better to play a more experienced player at a spot he isn't 100% comfortable at, or play an inexperienced guy at his native position and maintain some stability/continuity at the other spots? Obviously I trusted the coaches on this one, just hope we can stay healthy.
  19. neisgator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Great post
    I've been complaining about this for years
  20. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,092
    It all depends. Is the guy with less experience ready to play yet? If not, then you would prefer the guy who is ready to play. NFL rosters never work with a two-deep, some even going as low as eight linemen on the active roster. They shuffle linemen around with impunity, though of course it is much easier because they are more experienced and have a full work week to get acclimated to different positions.

Another way to look at it is to say that many offensive linemen don't have a "native position." Harrison was a guard who moved to center. Garcia was a tackle at Maryland who played guard here on the practice squad. Koehne came in as a prep tackle, then was moved to guard. Same with Silberman. Moore is just a very versatile, smart kid and that is why they can use him at different positions. It isn't like we are making Trenton Brown a center or listing linemen from 1-10, then tossing #6 into the open spot when one of the first five go down. The guys with the capacity to play different positions are the ones we move. We also try to keep them on the same side, if at all possible, which makes communication, responsibilities in protection, even stance easier.