Problems I saw in the Toledo game (non passing game thread please)

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Sep 4, 2013.

1. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +376
    I think 4 is far and away the most important for overall team performance, because Muschamp's coaching approach requires a dominant defense, and if your backups are not "good enough" that will kill you in the long run.
  2. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +596
    I'm happy to hear the disagreement on my memory of the starting Dline. I hope your view is the more accurate one.
  3. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    That is interesting, and not being combative, but that is the one that worries me the most.

We absolutely need our punter to be a weapon. We will have to rely on him a ton when we start playing good defenses.

By far the most disappointing player on Saturday.

His average was way better than he punted. He had a 53 yarder that traveled 32 yards and the Toledo returner blew it.
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,979
    Here is the way I look at it: how likely is it that an All-American, school record-holding punter would become a detriment a year later? I am sure there is precedent, but it is probably rather rare and ordinarily related to injury.
  5. neisgator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    I think that is logical. We will certainly know in 72 hours.
  6. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +537
    Exactly. He just had a tough day. He's got enough of a resume now that one should expect him to be fine.
  7. Tipmoose

Tipmoose New Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    My complaints are almost completely with place kicking. I didn't care for the kickoffs to the 10 yard line. I would prefer they just be kicked into the endzone if possible. I was never a fan of the supposed 'coffin corner' kick we tried under Meyer. And I didn't care for the ugly FG miss which should have been a chip shot.
  8. gatorowen

gatorowen Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    We're not kicking the ball into the end zone for a reason. The new rule brings it out to the 25 instead of the 20. I don't remember them getting past the 25 too many times.
  9. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +840

Couldn't disagree more on #7. They have a running QB who literally couldn't run anywhere because our DL consistently caved in the pocket without getting out of their lanes which also caused him to change his launch point which is why his passing was so miserable.

I mean, last year he average about 5ypc, but against us, only 1ypc. Last year he completed about 60%. Against us, 44%.

Our DL did a fantasic job, IMO.
  10. Bear1974

Bear1974 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +220
    I would not prejudge based upon one game. Your sample just be based upon the first 3 games of the year.

Kicking may very well be an issue - too early to tell.

Punting is a non issue - He was doing odd ball punts on purpose trying to be cute with it. Given the results I don't think you will see that in the future.

Sometimes the DB's did not want to tackle in the open field and sometimes they did but again won't judge it because first game.

Not worried about DL.

We have no BJames and since we lost our KO guy to ACL then what you see is what you are going to get.

Some of those offside penalties were the result of the center doing stupid things with the ball presnap which never got called by the ref. But yes penalties need to be mitigated.
  11. neisgator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    With our defense, I would think Muschamp would rather deal with the 25 yard line than the unknown yard line. If you are kicking it to the 10, you aren't stopping them short of the 22-23 yard line.
  12. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    Replay of Toledo game getting ready to come on Sun network.
  13. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    I've seen this statement before, particularly during the Toledo game thread, and have never understood it. Why would a coach prefer to give the other team a shot at a good KO return rather than an automatic start at the 25 yard line? If the return guy catches the ball at the 5 or 10 he's going to get to or close to the 25 anyhow. And if he's good he'll sometimes go much farther than that. When I watch a team that can kick it into the end zone, that's what they do - time after time.

The short kicks didn't hurt us against Toledo but we're going to face teams much better at KO returns than they were.
  14. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    This would be 100% correct.....I know a lot of people think we should get 7 or 8 sacks every game. Truth is if you rush the wrong QB playing in a quick pass system you won't get there anyway....Leon Orr did a good job of shutting down the screen passes that they were trying to set up and the Dline did shut down most of their passing lanes. We also limited the QB runs that often keep a defense on the field too long. Defense these days is more about being disciplined and less about "spectacular" plays.
  15. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Think punt my friend....the ball is kicked much higher giving the returner less time to look at his lanes and gives kick coverage more time to close the distance between them and the returner.....this is the reason we use so many "athletes' on the KO return team....if you look at the guys we use most are in the 4.5 40 range so it doesn't give the returner much time to decide what to do when you factor in the hang time of the kick.
  16. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,759
    When I made this thread I did it so we could have a discussion about something else. I am not really worried about our punter, the other things I am a little and hope we can get things cleaned up.
  17. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +192
    Totally disagree. With our athletes, the best strategy is to kick it high and inside the 5 and nail them inside the 20. Please remember that we kick off further up the field than we did under Meyer, meaning that our athletes can almost get under a high, short KO now like they do a punt.

If your kicker cannot kick it high, however, just kick it out of the endzone.
  18. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +230
    Austin is going to be a stud. He is young an getting used to kicking before big crowds, but I have confidence he will be money for us once he finds his groove.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  19. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,759
    If Duke Johnson is back returning Kick offs this game should we kick it short and high or kick it in the endzone for a touch back?
  20. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,239
    How many teams or kickers have never missed a field goal for a season?