Problems - Discipline and otherwise

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Gotitsussed, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Gotitsussed

Gotitsussed Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Do we have a discipline problem? Does our coaching staff pay enough attention to detail? Here are some random thoughts. Turnovers, of course that's #1 but...

1. Why do continue to have momentum killing penalties and more penalties then our opponents overall? If you look at the best team(s) in our league, they don't have those problems. It boils down to discipline. The best don't have these problems.
    2. Why do we have players celebrating/gesturing during the game? In many cases, when we're being outplayed or even after tackling someone who just gained several yards. The best don't allow their players to do this. It can be controlled and channeled into > focus.
    3. Why can't we develop some short 3-5 yd passing routes for 3rd down situations? Stick it in someones gut with a one step drop.
    4. Why do we go for 2 after our first score when we don't need to reveal a trick play and your kicker has virtually no game experience? He missed a chip shot last week. Let him get some reps and build confidence. Save the tricks for later in the game or season when you need the 2pts.
    5. Receivers - no separation? Precise rout running and QB timing on ball release. Yesterday, we have two situations when the receivers were not looking at the QB in critical red-zone situations?

We have strong talent, just look at our recruiting results the last few years.

Take advantage of the those things you can control. Win or lose with class.
  2. Tito22

Tito22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +154
    1. I agree. We always do something stupid to end or seriously deter drives. Since our coach doesn't want to blow anyone out, these mistakes get magnified.

2. Disagree. Trash talking and swagger is part of the game. Our defense has every right to s--t talk. They own. Our offense on the other hand...

3. No idea. Maybe our QB can't hit that pass. He isn't the most accurate QB out there

4. Cause our coach wanted a fail moment.

5. Disagree. Solomon went over 100, Dunbar had near 100, I think Burton had around 60. I think our WRs played well. That last Driskel interception Burton did turn and look for the ball. Problem was JD jumped the gun and threw a horrible pass anyway. By the way JD is very inaccurate on the roll out, take that s--t out the playbook
  3. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    I don't like all the Jawing our Def does.......Just play ball.
  4. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,133
    Now this is something I agree with, that there is a certain lack of discipline on this team, and poor execution is a direct result. If WM wants UF to be like Bama, then maybe he could get some more pointers from his mentor Nick Saban on execution.
  5. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +850
    Have you ever seen film of our coach playing for our #1 rival? Hard to find anybody who jaws more than he did. Our team is an extension of him. All emotion and very little composure.
  6. eastowest

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Our team....None of the OFF. players act that way
  7. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +842
    We are the most undisciplined team I've ever seen.

It's outrageous.

And it negatively impacts our performance.

Something needs to be done and I'm not talking about suspending players.

I'm talking about changing the culture.

This should be job #1 in my book.

Coach Muschamp....are you listening?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    I agree that it's a problem, but I don't think it's the biggest problem. IIRC, most of our penalties have come on D this year. I think being a little bit over-aggressive helps in the long run.

I will agree though on the offensive penalties... I can't stand false starts. Nothing irks me more than turning a 3rd and 1 to a 3rd and 6. :(
  9. urbangirl

urbangirl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +79
    Wonder if Boom would consider letting one of us address the team on what we see? Coaches seem to look at things from their perspective. Wonder if these players "see" it the way we do? Wouldn't take more than say 10-15 minutes. The results could be interesting.....to say the least. For instance; I'd like for the team/coaches to know our group left Jax @ 2:45 AM Saturday(my son's HS football activities prevented us from going down to Miami on Friday PM). Arrived in Miami @ 8:15 (two stops along the way). Met friends for breakfast. Left car @ friend's hotel and rode in to the game with them (btw.....great parking; parking area in front of Shula statue). Sat through game, endured lousy concession service, didn't leave early.....oh no sir........team has to be there so we STAY to support, endured a wave of unsavory home team fans upon exiting game (btw......the "home team" fans sitting in our section surely weren't season ticket holders.........it was the GATOR section for crying out loud; betcha they won't be there for the next game), stopped for a bite to eat on way of getting the hell out of Dodge ( I mean Miami), one stop for gas and back home by 9:50 PM. Couldn't stay over night due to one of our party works for the Jaguars.....opening day 9/9. Now, there's discipline......no be pulled over by FHP (saw a few of those going and coming) for vehicular infractions. I'd do it all over again (and have for many years, Lord willing many more), but coaches/players must be cognizant of the fact we fans are disciplined enough to be present at games (near/far) and endure a lot of crap they're shielded from. I'll step down from my soap box.
  10. urbangirl

urbangirl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +79
    BTW.....#73 is a flag machine. For crying out loud, stay set until the ball is hiked!!!!! It's Football 101. It's not as if our OL just started playing the game of football. They've been playing the sport for a number of years.
  11. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    Good points. Some thoughts:

1. Very true. Alabama and Georgia were ranked #27 and #33 respectively in "fewest penalties against" last year. We were #102 out of 124.

2. I'm not sure about this one. Most teams seem to do a lot of unnecessary celebration after fairly routine plays.

3. Good question. Could be expanded to ask why we don't throw to the RBs past the line of scrimmage in other situations too. I have to assume our RBs don't catch the ball well but I thought that was supposed to be one of Jones' strengths.

4. Complete mystery. I'm not sure I've ever seen a team go for two after their first TD early in the first quarter with the score 7-6.

5. Hard to know whether this is on the receiver or the QB. QB might have thrown the ball too soon or had the play confused.
  12. gatorfan96

gatorfan96 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +162
  13. keefer

keefer Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,696
    We had a receiver leave early!! He doesn't even go off of the snap count, he goes off the movement of the ball! Now that is not being focused.
  14. eastowest

Ratings Received:
    +158
  15. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,202
    Good thread. You have to start with discipline and I see no improvement from last year.

We seem to be on the same path based on the first 2 games.

Muschamp doesn't seem to be getting his message across because the same penalties continue. I don't know what else he can do because he keeps saying this has been drilled into their heads.

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about UF's 10 penalties which was half the penalties Miami had.

What would you do?
  16. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    ACC Refs.

The penalty on Clay Burton was absolutely ridiculous. The play was not over. Sure it was away from the ball, but it was downfield and the defensive player was moving toward the play.

Easley's passer roughing penalty was on a play that was not much different from multiple hits on JD.

Holding is always in the eye of the beholder. No pun intended. Some of the beholders have crossed eyes.

Moore got called for holding. I do not recall him getting called for motion; at least no more than once.

UF had 4 penalties within the first 7 minutes or so. The officials set the tone early.
  17. g8r925

g8r925 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +389
    I agree with the discipline issue on the team, I saw the same team that played UL and UGA on the field saturday.
    • Like Like x 1