Previous Government Shutdowns

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorchamps0607, Oct 9, 2013.

1. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,731
    Sigh ... how is it this complicated? Multiple articles stating the parks and monuments were closed, pictures supporting it.

The difference (ostensibly, I don't even know if this is true) is that there was nobody STOPPING people from going there. I assume there is now. That makes it no more open than me being at a park after closing hours.
  2. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,228
    While I have zero doubt the administration is playing politics, 2 points.

First, the Lincoln memorial was vandalized a few months ago. I am sure that is being considered.

But 2nd, that was pre 9/11. Does anyone want to give a terrorist a soft target with that much symbolism and no protection?
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,279
    Construction sights are always 'barricaded.'
  4. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979
    Sigh... The only one who appears to be confused here is YOU, OBOB...

The rest of us have already figured that out, and have moved on. I would recommend that you do the same?
  5. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    It's ok OBOB just tell them, long as my b*tches love me.
  6. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979
    Indeed. There are a LOT of ex-OWS thugs out wandering about just looking for a place to symbolically dispose of their feces, and to deface merely for the enjoyment they take in such activity.
  7. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    OBOB, why do I have to talk like you're stupid? I know you normally like to argue this stuff but this really doesn't seem like you are the one actually posting these responses. I mean, this is really elementary stuff and I know you're a smart guy.

Now let me explain it for one last time, please try to follow along, everyone else seems to have been on the same page.

I posted an article with a picture showing the Lincoln memorial open to foot traffic during the first day of the second government shutdown. Are we still on the same page? I wanna go slow so you get it. Ok, good.

You posted a link and a picture from the first day of the FIRST shutdown during 95, just so you're in the know, there were two shutdowns that year. Now, I think we can all see that you're picture would have been relevant if on December 16, there was a similar picture with a similar barricade, there wasn't.

So what does that teach us, exactly? That tells us that there is no reason to restrict foot traffic to OPEN AIR (please read that a few times, let it digest) during a shutdown. Can we agree there?

So now that we have established the fact that our government, IN FACT, did allow foot traffic at OPEN AIR portions of those monuments in 1995... We can then address my question, which in the OP is clearly asking about OPEN AIR (again please read that a few times, grab a dictionary if need be) monuments being barricaded and completely closed off to any foot traffic?

Hopefully we are now on the same page, it really shouldn't have come to this but here we are. Just for one more little reinforcing detail, because I KNOW you're going to come back with "it wasn't open"....