Prepare for the no-huddle offense!

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by BengermanV, Dec 1, 2013.

1. coach

coach Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +183
    Use whatever metric you want. It's not close. There is no discussion neccessary.
  2. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,143
    What's frustrating to me is that if our starting defensive front seven had not been riddled with injuries and were full strength for this game, fsu gets maybe half the completions they made because Winston would have been under heavy pressure all day. Well, that is when fsu's OL wasn;t hard-pressed to hold as much as they did Saturday.
  3. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +200
    Makes sense . . . in the short term. Go to an offense that Driskel can run for the next two years. But what then? This has panic change written all over it.

But hey, I don't mind as long as we get an OC that can actually run it. Might be the end of Grier though.
  4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,845
    Grier is quicker than Driskel... he'll probably be a better fit. Quickness is more important than straight line speed in being effective as an option running QB, as well as getting your feet set quickly to pass out of option looks.

And there are plenty of athletes in Florida that can run this style of offense. I think that becomes one of the decision points in what schemes you are going to run... whether you will have the athletes to run them.
  5. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +520
    Spread doesn't necessarily mean we're going to be running the option. NE, Seattle, and San Francisco all run variants of spread offenses.
  6. lenoxpaul

lenoxpaul Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    For those in the know, based on the personnel we have returning, are we still more suited for a spread/read-option type of attack?
  7. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,845
    True enough. But we know Muschamp wants to be able to control the game with the run especially to close out victories, and he is very turnover averse. I expect our spread to be more run first than pass first... more of a quack attack or Malzahn approach than a Mike Leach type attack.
  8. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    IMO that is the better strategy. Alvin Bailey and Chris Thompson should be able to motion into the backfield for a read play. Kelvin Taylor will do great with more space to run. Jeff Driskel usually makes good decisions with the read too (he did fumble a few times with Gillislee though).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,845
    Cook is a big time recruit for this type of offense as well. The more guys we have like the ones you mention and Cook, who can stretch the defense, the more room everybody has to make plays.

I haven't been completely sold on Driskel on the decision making aspect in the read option, but when he gets some space with the ball, he can definitely eat up chunks in a hurry and make some big plays for us. Not sure how much he practiced it either, though. Reps will make a difference for sure.

I do think he is very comfortable throwing the ball after moving to space, and with half field reads like he'll probably get a lot of in this type of offense.
  10. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +520
    I'd much rather have an Oregon style offense too. People think they pass a lot but they actually run it more. As long as we can power the ball when we need it I'm all for it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    IMO with the personnel we have going into 2014 we can run any type of offense
  12. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Driskel did pretty well reading the lineman on option plays. I can't really remember him getting clobbered on the wrong read. I have no idea how they let the back know if they're keeping or not. It's a mystery to me

I really liked the bootleg keepers last year too. Sealed it vs A&M. Using the QB to run has always worked well for us, consistently
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,552
    Hey, it's whatever the recruits want to do.

After all, it is up to them.
  14. sevmonster

sevmonster Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +66