Premiums rise faster under Obamacare than previous 8 years...combined!

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by wygator, Mar 18, 2014.

1. dangolegators

dangolegators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +678
    I was referring to the eHealth link that the story in the OP is based on. According to this report, deductibles are down.

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/af...emes/ace/price-index/data/quarterly-index.pdf

Of course that doesn't follow the narrative you want, so I'm guessing you'll declare that the part of the eHealth report that shows premiums are up is right, but the part that shows deductibles are down is wrong.
  2. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,374
    I am currently without insurance and have been since Dec. and have been shopping since then. I can personally tell you I can't get a comparative plan to what I had in terms of premium and deductible. That is my personal story, so what am I to say? You seem to think things are better for everybody and it's simply not the case.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...tibles-26-higher-make-cheap-rates-a-risk.html

Tell me again about narratives pal, me and my family are in the middle of this and I have to foot the entire bill for my insurance.
  3. dangolegators

Ratings Received:
    +678
    Your Bloomberg link is from mid November. Got anything more recent? The eHealth link is much more recent and shows that deductibles are down. As for your situation, not sure what kind of health insurance you had before. I'm guessing you live in NJ. The eHealth link shows that family premiums in NJ have gone up by an average of about $100 per month, but that the deductibles in NJ have gone up by an average of about 3k. Nationwide, deductibles have gone down by more than 3k according to eHealth, so I guess you just have the bad luck of living in NJ (in more ways than one). With the ACA, there are winners and losers. Sounds like you're one of the losers.
  4. surfn1080

surfn1080 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Why don't you actually read the link and actually comprehend the details...

I am sorry but you continually in most of your post pick and choice what you want to believe and try to spit it out as facts....
  5. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Dangol, do not care what some article says. I know from too many other articles and our insurance agent who reps for UHC, BCBS, Aetna....deductables have gone up substantially nationwide. Insurance companies had to do this to compensate for having to cover pre-existing conditions and chronic illness folks and to try to hold down premium costs.

Skyrocketing Deductables are the 3rd leading complaint about Obamacare right after High Premiums and non functioning web site. Fourth and Fifth leading complaints are choices of docs and hospitals.
  6. dangolegators

Ratings Received:
    +678
    Yes, I am aware that you don't care what some article says if it says something you don't want to agree with.

It varies drastically by state. In some states, average deductibles have gone down significantly. And according to the link from the article in the OP, deductibles have gone down as a whole in the US. Not saying it is correct, but that's what the link that all you guys wanted to agree with (when you thought it was just about premiums going up) says.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatorman_07732

Ratings Received:
    +4,374
    Oh, so now you see my narrative which happens to be true about deductibles going up? Now please tell me why I should give a flip what someone else is paying in another state when it has no bearing on my situation? Before you accused me of fitting into a narrative when you had no idea of my situation.
  8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,641
    And wait till the new government tax, of all people's insurance policies, hits home. Or did Obama do order another gerrymander/madate?
  9. dangolegators

Ratings Received:
    +678
    It's still your narrative. Try not to get so upset about it...
  10. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,584
    So is the other side admitting that there are "losers" in this finally? Oh, wait, I guess since it's still for "the greater good" that it's okay? Wasn't that what the whole ACA was supposed to be about, to help those who were in the "loser" category with the insurance coverage/premiums?

It's gone from "everyone will save" and "everyone will keep their doctors", to "well, only a few of you will get screwed...sorry", and we're waiting for the rest of the fallout since your Fearless Leader keeps delaying/changing things to save as many elections as possible. The issues are widespread and to dismiss someone's situation as "you're just one of the losers" is ridiculous and smacks of hypocrisy from the ACA side.
  11. gatorman_07732

Ratings Received:
    +4,374
    Are you for real? It's my personal experience and it's been proven as such. You're just trying to wash the egg of your face :cool:
  12. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,491
  13. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +987
    According to this article, it's the exchange policies that have higher deductibles than employer plans:

This is bad news for the Obama administration, which has routinely pointed out that premiums on the exchanges are less expensive than comparable employer-based policies. While premiums may be cheaper, out of pocket costs on exchange plans tend to be higher. A survey by HealthPocket.com found the deductibles on the exchange plans were 42 percent higher than employer based policies. But now, insurers say Obamacare consumers can expect to experience sticker shock from both premiums and deductibles.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +987
    We have yet to be fully impacted by the new insurance premium taxes:

Insurance companies, faced with new Obamacare fees and taxes meant to help fund the law, are planning to pass along the added costs to consumers. This includes the multibillion-dollar annual “Insurance Providers Fee,” which took effect in January and is assessed to each company based on its share of annual premiums collected by the entire industry. This new fee is expected to raise $8 billion this year and more than $100 billion over the next decade.

Until now, however, the financial impact of the fee has been unclear. The conservative American Action Forum crunched the numbers and found that individuals with employer-based plans are likely to pay an extra $77 this year as a result of the tax. Families with employer-based coverage would have to pay an extra $266. The study said these amounts will increase to $139 for individuals and $476 for families by 2018 and will continue to increase after that as well.

See more at: http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Artic...se-Tax-Obamacare-Premium#sthash.ofbeE050.dpuf
  15. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,465
    Probably going to have 12 million Americans insured on Exchange plans in 2014. Countless others on parent plans.

An unqualified success.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
  16. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,354
    Then why the delays? The plan is to delay unqualified success?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. dangolegators

Ratings Received:
    +678
    I guess you don't actually know what 'narrative' means.
  18. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,465
    Extra carrot time before the stick kicks in.
  19. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    You are speaking of Medicaid, where there will be approximately 2.5 M newly qualified all paid for by us. We will only have approximately 1 M previously uninsured, who actually will 'buy' a policy through the exchanges and we will be subsidizing 80% of those. Yes we kept kids on parents policies.

But only you would call the disruption of the healthcare system, hundreds of billions spent on regulations, websites, 10s of millions of man hours, way higher prices and of course millions losing docs and hospitals, an unqualified success. I guess you would call our Foreign Policy an unqualified success as well. Obama was more concerned with his NCAA picks than he was the Russians annexing Crimea.
  20. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +389
    He sounds like another example of obamacare delay strategy syndrome.