Preliminaries Over - Season Begins Next Week

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by themistocles, Feb 8, 2014.

1. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +695
    Seems like a weak philosophy. College football is completely done a week into January.
  2. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +900
    I read Dooley's opinion about our back loaded schedule and thought it made sense. Then I noticed that Kentucky is front loaded this year, so who knows? I think the real reason our schedule is back loaded most seasons is that we always play both games against Kentucky in the second half of the season - once for ESPN's "Rivalry Week" and once to end the season for CBS. It's hard for games against the rest of the league to balance those two contests.
  3. GeauxGators05

GeauxGators05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    I like our chances in every game we play. Where we have struggled is against teams which have dominating guard play where we have had matchup problems. Our 3 point shots are not consistent enough but when Scottie is hitting and he opens up the middle for Patric, we are a tough team to guard. Patric backs down from no one due to his size and strength. If we get PY into foul trouble, it will be interesting to see how well we can hold our own with C Walker thrust into a role with more minutes. We won't know until we get there. Kentucky can play lights out at home but they are young and have moments where they play a lot more like a group playing one on one rather than flowing like a team together. Lately, they are working more cohesively and are turning into a more dangerous team. Both games next week will be hard fought battles. One thing about this Gator team that is for certain, we are tough and we will fight to the buzzer.
  4. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +326
    UK has to play the #3 team twice in the back half of their schedule.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gaturguru

gaturguru Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    Possibly 3 times if they play us in the SEC Tourney
  6. Brodeur

Brodeur Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +88
    I know losses are inevitable in a college basketball season, and splitting the two road games this week would be okay. But if UF is a legit top 5 team they have to win a tough game or two on the road. UT and Ole Miss, while solid teams, are still unranked. They aren't that good.

If UF loses both, the chances of ending up with a #1 seed grow extremely slim and this team probably isn't as good as we hoped yet.
  7. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,548
    I'm just glad that this year in the rotation we get UK at home the last game rather than traveling to Rupp.
  8. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    I totally agree, but we haven't been blowing the doors off of all our seemingly weaker opponents, like Arky, Bama, and Missouri. But even if we are a truly elite team, losses can happen. The 04s lost quite a few games during their two regular seasons. Since there are no true road games in the NCAA tournament, losing a few on the road doesn't damn a team in the post season.

But I still agree with your original premise. I also think that top 5 teams should be beating teams like Bama and Mizzou more soundly at home.
  9. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +977
    The negativity grew swiftly in this post. If we don't get a #1 seed it isn't a big deal. As long as we get seeded high enough to have a favorable draw and end up in Orlando.
  10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,336
    This UT game is huge. With a loss, we are heading into Rupp with first place in the conference on the line.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Brodeur

Brodeur Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +88
    Lol, that's fair. I wasn't try to be negative, just state that we should expect to win most of these tougher road games coming up (sans UK). And I agree any top 3 seed with a good draw through Orlando would give UF a good shot at the FF, which every fan wants for these seniors.

I guess I was thinking back to some of the Bracketology threads where we had fans complaining about teams like Kansas and WSU being ahead of UF. If UF belongs on the top line with or ahead of those teams, they need to win some tough games (yes, I know WSU doesn't have any tough games).
  12. Droppingin

Droppingin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +866
    If we frustrate uk, I think their youth will show and their offense will be discombobulated.
    If they have one of their good games we are in for fight.

Not too worried about the ut game. They only have two good players. We may not blow them out like last time but should win without to much trouble. By that I mean by 5 to 7 points.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  13. Droppingin

Droppingin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +866
    One factor I thought of: its a long season and all teams are feeling the fatigue and grind including us and our competition. Our advantage is four seniors who have been there and done that and although they are ground down too, they know where the wall is and will take it more in stride.
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,112
    Exactly. Look at the top teams and they all have flaws, bad losses, etc. It is also stating the obvious that our national title teams themselves lost to inferior teams on the road in February, too, yet we seem to forget it every year. Nothing, absolutely nothing that happens right now will have any direct correlation to what happens on the court in the NCAAs.
  15. Gatorhead

Gatorhead Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    Gators play very good defense, the Bama game notwithstanding. While I don't expect UF to finish the conference slate unbeaten I expect the Gators to be in every contest late in the game.

My hope is UF wins the regular season title, a very realistic expectation given where the team is right now.

While UF has been to the elite 8 three straight years this group brings to mind the 06 and 07 squads in terms of
    depth, length, athletic ability and cohesiveness.

While not the best of three point shooting teams this squad certainly has the ability to get hot from behind the arc so hopefully we see a couple of good shooting games in the upcoming Ole Miss, UT and the 2 KY games.

Of course nothing is a given in the dance and certainly not a fourth straight elite 8, however defense and depth may allow UF to survive a couple of close games in the dance and advance to the Final Four.

Irregardless of what happens the squad has really had an OUTSTANDING season so far and I
    look forward to the end of the regular season and whatever march madness brings.
  16. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,693
    Stupid because is flipping February already.
  17. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,693
    We beat Kansas
  18. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,093
    The intention is to have more to offer after the NFL playoffs are done. In addition to what REM mentions, it's also a sign that we are important to the league for marketing purposes. They do the same thing with UNC/Duke as they do with us and Kentucky. I love it, it shows value in our program.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  19. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    Update to my major threats list:

@Arky - check
    @Bama - check
    UT - check
    @UT - check
    @UK - Saturday
    @Ole Miss
    UK.

Approx KenPom odds of going undefeated in these games:
    Odds from start: 1.6%
    Updated odds after @Arky victory: 2.7%
    Updated odds after @Bama victory: 4.0%
    Updated odds after Tenn victory: 10.0%
    Updated odds on Feb 8th: 5.4%
    Updated odds after @Tenn victory: 23.2%
    • Like Like x 1
  20. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +702

Quite a jump! Looks like the game Saturday will be the tipping point if you guys win. Gotta be over 50% at that point. I'm interested in seeing what the opening line is for the game.