Predictions: the 2014 Florida Gators

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, Aug 3, 2014.

1. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +239
    5-7. And enough improvement that foley gives him a two year extension.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +811
    I would think turnovers are more detrimental to a team that plays like a Muschamp-led team due to there being less possessions. I think the most telling stat would be turnovers per possessions. Averaging only 1 turnover per game would be great, unless you only averaged 3 possessions per game, then it would be terrible! :D

Got any time to run those numbers, Worm?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,655
    Well, considering since 1990, we had:

Shane Matthews
    Terry Dean
    Danny Wuerffel
    Doug Johnson
    Jesse Palmer
    Rex Grossman
    Chris Leak
    Tim Tebow

Dontcha think being the worst of that group may not be all that bad? That is a pretty nice list of quarterbacks.

Perhaps that is a product of the gameplan. I remember when people whined about the "dozens" of bubble screens Zaunbrecher made Rex throw (he only average 2-3 per game). That was also the gameplan, and when Rex freelanced the long pass plays, he lost the games for Florida with multiple horrible interceptions. Yet Rex was a great deep passer.

Wow! You know the man inside and out! I am amazed...

But would Chris, REx, Jesse, Doug, or Terry do this. perhaps you don't know them as well...ROTFL!

And the hits keeeeep on comin'! Haven't seen this much love for a quarterback since Leak in 2006, with his laundry list of faults...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,655
    Oh, I'd say his USCe rosters were as good or better than our 1992, 1999 and 2000 rosters. Otherwise, why didn't he tear the nation up offensively?

Hell, Frank Beamer's offense works best when you give him THOSE tools...LOL

He had college players at the level of Jesse Palmer and Doug Johnson, and didn't do as well at USCe. His quarterbacks weren't duds. That's a myth.

So how did Muschamp, with a 4-win team, beat Tennessee, a 5-7 team that beat USCe?

How so? We did it in 2012.

Spurrier went 9-4 twice with nowhere near the injuries and attrition Muschamp had last year. It took him seven years at USCe to lose fewer than 5 games at USCe. What makes you POSSIBLY think he would have gone 8-4 and 9-3 without our MASH unit? That is ridiculous!

Agree, but since when does the head coach micromanage his coordinators? I've heard for years that Spurrier left his DCs alone, which was why the fans always blamed the DC for any problems, rather than the had coach.

If you say so, Mr. Murphy...
  5. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    With Muschamp following through with getting the experience level up at DT, I'm changing my prediction from 7-5 to 9-3. From GatorZone:

Q. How much has Leon Orr matured and developed since you have been here?
    COACH MUSCHAMP: He needs to be very productive for us. That was something when we lost Dominic inside last year, we really suffered. So he's a guy that he understands what's at stake for him right now. He missed spring with a wrist injury. Feel like he's come off that pretty well. He needs to play well. I think he's ready for the opportunity.

Q. How much are the redshirt freshmen defensive tackles going to contribute this season?
    COACH MUSCHAMP: They are going to have to play. That is the bottom line. Jon Bullard, he can play inside and out. Jay-nard Bostwick and Joey Ivie, Caleb Brantley, all of those gays are very, very capable of playing well for us. Being a guy that at the end of the day, give us 18 snaps, give us 15, 18, 20 snaps. It's a 70 snap game, be able to divide that with two others guys and let the bigger guys play 45, 50 snaps in a game and stay fresh. Especially in the heat, early in the year, rushing the passer, playing some up tempo teams, we're going to have to be deep in the defensive line. You like to be able to play 10 to 12 guys. I think the talent is there, maybe the experience is not and that is something we need to get done.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,778
    I've had my concerns about JD's performance and voiced them often enough in the off season.

Also saw him improve in some areas last year prior to the injury. And his athleticism for the position can't be denied.

I see no reason why he wouldn't continue improving his own performance, along with benefiting from a system that fits him better, and better talent around him.

I think he's going to have a good year. The real question is how good. Hope he makes plays when we need them to win games, and otherwise does a good job protecting the ball. We'll win a lot of games if he does that.

Bottom line though, now is the time to support these guys and let them play. The reports out of camp are great on team attitude and chemistry. You expect that this time of year, but it really sounds legit. I'm all in to believing them, and supporting them.

We'll see soon enough what kind of progress they've made when they hit the field.
  7. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,655
    Yeah, but they're in the SEC! Oooooooooooooooooh!

No chance in Hell. An x-win SEC team is not better than an X+2 ACC team. We would have probably gone 5-7, as Savannah State is so wretched, even the Gators would have beaten them.

Something about applying different standards to different coaches. I have a lot of experience here seeing the double standards on display.

So what you are saying is that Meyer and SOS can have seasons with as many as ten multiple turnover games, and it's OK because they still win them. You would then probably say that the reason for all the turnovers under them is that the players made errors on the field.

And you would be right! But that goes for ALL coaches. Not just non-Hall of Fame coaches. I don;t cut slack for legends.

So if somehow Driskel has a Grossman meltdown game, it's Boom's fault?

I love it when you're rational...:D

Again, if it happens to one, it happens to all. I cannot damn Coach A for doing _____ while forgiving Coach B for doing the same thing. I don't differentiate.

Now, if you said this: "When Muschamp has disaster games due to the ultraconservative style of offense he has, he is not giving himself any leeway. It's one thing to cough up the ball three times with a four TD lead instead of a FG lead. There is no room to maneuver, and his conservative play could lead to more losses," then i would agree with you whole-heartedly (as I often do), and even give you a "winner" or "agree' designator to it.

But by simply pointing out disaster games when in fact (as you readily acknowledged) Muschamp's disaster games are few and far between, at least compared to Spurrier's. Indeed, it was the disaster games that helped him wallow in mediocrity at USCe for six years before finally getting a QB that could take over the games. But even with Shaw, his disaster game against Florida left him here embarrassed by 5 touchdowns.
  8. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,107
    I think we are on the same page here. I maybe just wasn't articulate enough.

What I was trying to get it is perception. At 22-16, the general perception of his abilities is at a point that he can't survive a let down, whether it is his fault or his players fault or whatever, against teams that most people expect UF to beat. I'm not saying I necessarily agree with the premise, but it is what it is.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +816
    Oh, I didn't know you were able to read minds, and you can definitively say that no QBs signees decided to put UF lower on the list in 2011 and 2012 b/c UF had 2 young top-rated QBs on campus.

Yes QBs will come in in the same year, just like Brantley and Newton did, and just like Driskel and Brissett did in 2011.

But you rarely see a top QB sign with a team THE YEAR AFTER a top team signed two top QBs.

That is how it works at the QB position now.

And the only thing "flat out inaccurate" in our exchange is your statement that "If Muschamp doesn't have a roster that can save his job in year 4, that's entirely on him."

Actually Meyer recruited and signed the 5th year players (the 2010 class) on this year's team, and Meyer recruited the 4th year players on this team (the 2011 class) which Muschamp inherited when he was hired in January 2011.

So, while the 1st, 2nd and 3rd year players are "entirely" on Muschamp, the 4th and 5th year players aren't.

Is it any coincidence that the positions where UF is strongest ( DB, DE, TB, WR) are those positions where young players can contribute early, whereas the positions where you most rely on upperclassmen, 4th and 5th year players, OL, DT, and QB, are our weakest positions?

Its almost the time where the roster is entirely on Muschamp, but not quite yet. One more year and then Muschamp will truly own the roster.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    Worm: Now, if you said this: "When Muschamp has disaster games due to the ultraconservative style of offense he has, he is not giving himself any leeway. It's one thing to cough up the ball three times with a four TD lead instead of a FG lead. There is no room to maneuver, and his conservative play could lead to more losses," then i would agree with you whole-heartedly (as I often do), and even give you a "winner" or "agree' designator to it.

I like the way Muschamp responded to a question about what he expected out of the offense. More points. Hopefully, we'll have a bigger margin of error with more chances to develop experience at key positions.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. willymayshayes

willymayshayes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +227
    If he makes it that far.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +420
    Coach Muschamp has succeeded in dimming my expectations.. I don't have a clue as to how we will perform this year. I also don't have a clue as to what Roper's plans are going forward after this year. I've been a supporter of coach, however I don't think we should settle for long term mediocrity. I was all in favor of giving him some more time, but he needs to turn this around quickly.
    I'm hoping last year was an anomaly...
    All this talk about how tough our schedule is happens to be alot of bull. Our schedule is always one of the toughest, and we have always performed and faced up to the challenge.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,655
    You, I and some others here have a tendency to respond to posts in a more confrontational manner.. Debate is what I do as an educator, and my points are often contentious ("was McCarthy right all along?"). I wish i could have Oaktown's demeanor on the boards...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. ThomasD89

ThomasD89 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +270
    It's not "one game." You only get to 5 losses by losing five games. And that would indeed be disheartening.

Which is also another way of saying "less than good" with the added consideration that it is also "not bad enough" to result in an otherwise necessary coaching change.

Also notice that we both agree on "debacle" even though it also means we are bowl eligible.

(And again, all of this with the noted caveat that style matters - we lose due to rotten officiating, crazy ball bounces, mediocre teams that play the game of a lifetime, a hail of toads, etc... that is indeed one thing. We play the sort of disorderly disorganized ball that hurts key players, and screams poor discipline & lack of coaching; the sort that scares away the next crop of possible recruits, and eight or nine wins still might not be enough.)
  15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,137
    The difference between 8-4 and 7-5 is:
    A) five games
    B) inconsequential
    C) cumulative
    D) one game

P.S. Sorry for being a smarta$$. :p
  16. ThomasD89

ThomasD89 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +270
    David St. Hubbins: It's such a fine line between stupid, and uh...

Nigel Tufnel: Clever.

David St. Hubbins: Yeah, and clever.
  17. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,699
    Wow... that is singularly the dumbest thing I've ever read.

The guy BREAKS his leg and he's a prima donna because he immediately attended to it? Every player at every position (outside of Tebow) would have done exactly what Driskel did... except most of them wouldn't have had the guts to walk off the field with a broken leg the way Jeff did.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    I'll second that. But dumb is putting it mildly.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,106
    More cowbell needed on this thread.....

• Like Like x 1
  20. ibgator

ibgator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +704
    I though this was a prediction thread. My prediction is 7-5.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1