Prediction Time

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by BengermanV, Feb 5, 2014.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,758
    Are you assuming we don't have the talent on offense to be competitive, or Roper can't coach competitively in the SEC, or both?
  2. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +547
    UGA, Bama, LSU, and SC will all have new quarterbacks but great running games so hopefully our run D will improve dramatically because we should have a good enough secondary against newer QB's.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,234
    Good posts fellas.

Where are the fullbacks Joyer & Ajagbe???

H-back should be added because you will see them in that role.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +786
    The reason for my somewhat lofty goals for us as a team (9-3, which usually wouldn't be considered a great season probably would be next year with our schedule) is based one two things:

1. We will improve.
    2. Alabama, LSU, Georgia, South Carolina, and maybe Missouri all got worse.

Each of those teams lost long time QB's, and it's rarely an easy transition after that's happened (with FSU being the exception this year). LSU lost a TON on both sides. Alabama did too, but they have rolled in such strong classes that I doubt the turnover will be too noticeable for them. Georgia lost Murray, a good amount of defense, and some lineman. Don't see them having a great season if they have to rely on Gurly and Marshall to carry them the whole way. South Carolina is going to have its firth down year since Spurrier got there, I think. They lost a ton of talent. Missouri will probably be close to the same. They lost their best RB and their starting QB.

We on the other hand lost a whopping total of 6 starters on both sides of the ball. Watkins, Powell, Jacobs (?), Roberson, Purifoy, and Patton. I won't count Easley because he wasn't playing anyway. So lets dissect this a little bit. Which of the above players will leave a position worse off than it was when they were in it?

Possibly Watkins, though, we have INSANE talent at safety. I'm not worried at all. Powell is a great talent but was way off last year. I re-watched most of our games, and unless he was beating guys on an edge rush, he wasn't doing much of anything. Jacobs might hurt just from a depth perspective, but we have better talent at DT than we did without Easley last year. Roberson will probably hurt -- though, Tabor is really THAT good. He's as good as Hargreaves was coming into school last year. Purifoy was a tremendous playmaker on defense. We are going to miss that, I don't doubt. It is worth noting that Brian Poole was stealing a crap ton of playing time towards the end of the year, though.

Everywhere else, we should get markedly better.

QB: Driskel healthy +1 year older, Harris/Grier > Staver/Murphy
    RB: 2014 Taylor/Jones/Brown/Lane > Taylor>Brown
    WR: Dunbar/Fulwood/Robinson/Bailey/Debose > Dunbar/Patton/Burton/Fulwood
    OL: Can't get any worse. Chaz Greene, our best offensive lineman is back. Moore/Garcia get to slide over to guard. Huge class this year and last year of lineman will provide depth.
    TE: Can't get any worse. Lets hope Colin Thompson or Goolsby make an impact. I think they will.
    DE: I love Fowler/Bullard, but they need to rush the passer better. Not sure if that's Champ's fault or their fault. Anyway, 2014 Fowler/Bullard/Willis > Fowler/Bullard
    DT: Cummings/Orr/Holley/Brantley Jr./Bostwick > Jacobs/Orr/Cummings. Too many guys were redshirted last year, IMO. We were killed up the middle one Easley left, and Brantley/Bostwick could have provided warm bodies at the very least. Both guys are very talented, and will be ready to play this year.
    LB: Anzalone/Morrison/Rolin/Ball/Davis > Kitchens/Morrison/Davis/Ball. I really, really like Davis. He came on too late in the season to make a huge difference, but he will this year. Need to get Anzalone and Rolin healthy or we are going to have shallow depth here again.
    CB: Hargreaves/Poole/Tabor/Washington < Roberson/Purifoy/Hargreaves/Poole. Not really any debating this one. I think we'll be fine, but that group was absolutely shut down last year.
    S: Neal/Washington/Gorman/Maye = Watkins/Gorman/Riggs/Maye

I'm also extremely worried about our kicking game. That has to be straightened out this year. We had an extra scholly towards the end, and I wish 'Champ would have used it to pick up a kicker.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. BengermanV

Ratings Received:
    +786
    I didn't see a ton of H-Back being used with Roper. I'm sure they will be used to some degree next season, but he seemed to prefer going 2-tailback than 1 TB and 1 HB. If Joyer is going to be used next year, they are going to have to let him carry the ball more often (which is fine by me, I love the way he runs).
  6. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +278
    Quarterback: JD
    Running Back(a): KT
    Running Back (b): Lane/Jones
    WR X: Fullwood
    WR Y: Dunbar
    WR Z: Robinson
    LT: DJ
    LG: Max
    C: Dillard
    RG: Moore
    RT: Green
    TE(a): Thompson
    TE(b): freshman/Burke

RE: Bullard
    DT(a): Cummings
    DT(b): Orr
    LE: Fowler
    OLB: Morrison/Ball
    MLB: Davis/Anzalone
    OLB: Rolin/McMillan
    CB(a): VH3
    CB(b): Taber
    CB(c): Poole
    SS: Neal/Harris
    FS: Harris/Maye/Gorman

Idaho: W
    Eastern Michigan: W
    Kentucky: W
    @Alabama: L
    @Tennessee: W
    LSU: W
    Missouri: W
    Georgia: W
    @Vandy: W
    South Carolina: W
    Eastern Kentucky: W
    @Florida State:W

Breakout Player (Offense): Adam Lane
    Breakout Player (Defense): Keanu Neal

Over or Under (Gator Offense Top 50 Nationally): Over (Top 50 yes)
    Over or Under (Gator Defense Top 15 Nationally): Over (Top 10 definitely)

Best WR: Fullwood
    Best RB: Taylor/Lane

Will Treon Harris or Will Grier get playing time? Harris
    Will any of our halfbacks reach 1,000 yards? Lane
    Will the same QB start all year? Yes
    Will a TE emerge? Yes

Will the Gators win the SEC East? yes

If you can't be optimistic in the offseason then there is really no point to watching in the fall.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +6,758
    I'm feeling that we'll see H-back as well for a few reasons.

1. Joyer and Ajagbe are versatile players who can run and catch the ball as well as block (as you noted).
    2. Our TE situation sucks from a traditional inline pass catching TE perspective. Hopefully Thompson comes along and can bolster that, but so far we haven't seen it. We'll probably still see it in some situations, but without more than one guy who can play that role effectively, it is risky to plan on that in your offense. Even if Goolsby and Lewis are great, they won't be ready to play that role at the SEC level, but I can see them perhaps contributing more in the H-back role now or in the future.
    3. We are potentially very strong at RB, and Jones is a big versatile back who could also excel in an H-back role, and get more of our talent on the field at the same time.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,234
    @BengermanV I agree with you on how Joyer runs. I think we will see Roper adjust his offense to fit the team. I'm not sure about Hunter but I know Gideon was told he will be playing in a h-back role. I'm going to try and get a sneak preview of the playbook. ;)

I forgot to add that Gid played RB in high school. He can run the ball as well.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  9. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +6,758
    Lots of good points here.

I think H-back as already noted can turn a weakness on offense (TE) into a strength.

At DT, we have a chit ton of big, strong young talented guys... somebody will step up alongside (or past) Orr and Cummings. Really like our talent at all levels of the defense, but am concerned with experience at Safety. Gorman needs to be a smart leader there. Look for Harris and Neal to step up too.

On the OL, we should have talent and depth for Summer to work with. Looking to see a huge turn around, as long as... we get reliable QB play. JD needs to step up and own this offense. He has all the tools. Now is the time.

Finally, I agree with your concern on kicking game. That has to get fixed or we're going to lose tough winnable games on this schedule.
  10. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,024
    The roster and depth chart are strong looking at 2014. Its all on the coaches at this point.

There are 10 very winnable games on this schedule, and even FSU and Alabama aren't so far and away better than Florida that UF shouldn't have a chance.

So saying 8 wins as a prediction cuts the coaches some major slack, but honestly, if I had any faith in the coaches, with this roster, I would be saying 10 wins and a SEC east division championship.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. BengermanV

Ratings Received:
    +786
    I think you'll like what Roper brings to the table. I've said it before and I've said it again. Muschamp has nailed two out of the four major pillars of being a head coach: In-game defense, and recruiting. The other two, in-game offense and player development (really only offensively) are two that can be helped a lot by getting a good O-Coordinator. I watched a lot of Roper's tape, and it's an offense that can flourish here. I had an issue with the Pease hiring because it relied heavily upon winning every single 1 on 1 battle on the play's side of the field. If you can't, the play collapses.

I much prefer and offense that plays like a game of chess. You see the defense, and you make a move to get an advantage. Make the defense think first before they get to react. Gain the upper hand schematically instead of foolishly thinking you can win every battle. There's a reason guys like Malzahn and Kelly are so consistently good. They aren't afraid to admit they don't have the best players at every position on the field, and instead, put those players in a position to utilize their strengths. Roper is that kind of coach.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,024
    Sounds awesome. But, during the Pease hire we heard all about the advantages that we would have on offense. With Pease, we said all the different formations and motions would cause confusion. Well they did... for the UF offense.

I'll believe the offensive coaches can put the players in a position to win when I see it happen. 3 straight years of sub 100 ranked offensives does not breed confidence. Although i will say that from what everyone is saying I am cautiously hopeful that things will turn around this year. The roster is certainly in a good place and if the coaches are even decent UF should be able to field a pretty good offense.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. BengermanV

Ratings Received:
    +786
    I'm trying to remember how I felt about the Pease hire. I think it looked good on paper, but it makes sense to me why it didn't work out now. It's always best to wait and see, but I think Roper is going to be a surprise hire. He and Muschamp have as much to prove as anyone in the country.
  14. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +6,758
    The thing with Pease was that he only had the one good year with Boise, with an established offense and experienced QB. His other stints as OC were about like we saw.

Of course, we can also say that Roper has only does his thing with Cutcliffe, so can he do it on his own / under another coach?

He seems like a strong, well organized guy, so I am hopeful at this point. We won't know until we know. And it may take some time for it to show on the field. I kinda doubt we come out of the gate the way SOS did, but one can hope.
  15. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,032
    Cut has already stated it was Roper's offense. Not saying he'll come right in and light it up but I guarantee he was the right hire.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,032
    I'll don't think he cares about our personnel. He doesn't like the CEO.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +407
    Wrong. I just don't see it on the offensive side of the ball. Injuries or not, just not a believer in the OLine. Davis was a scapegoat. He didn't just fall off the turnip truck and forget how to coach. They have been mediocre talent-wise for a good 4 years. Still don't see the offensive playmakers either. Too many IFs. Defense will be good, but lots of former key stalwarts are gone. But the #1 reason I see 6-6 or 7-5. The QB. John Brantley redux with some wheels. Just don't trust him as a passer and especially decision-maker. But, hey its just a prediction. Not sure why Tebowism is always so bent out of shape. Sorry, I'm not a Muschamp pumper.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,032
    Big difference between pessimist and pumper.

So you don't like the offense, I'd agree, but you don't think either coach was the issue? Muschamp has recruited OL the last two seasons so hopefully that's corrected. All the talent at WR he brought in last year had no chance to produce. I'm giving him this year to prove himself because of the talent and new hires. If no improvement, 9 wins IMO, then he should be gone. I don't see that as pumping sunshine.
  19. MiddleTNgator

MiddleTNgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    Our interior O-line projections are scary. Downright terrifying when you think of how the SEC can produce dominate D linemen.

If that group struggles, it will not matter if Driskel is improved, who is at RB, or WR/TE.

Too much unknown within the league for multiple teams for me to give a schedule breakdown. I think we can get to 8 or 9 wins potentially. Assuming we remain health and get solid play at needed positions.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  20. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    I don't believe those teams dropped off too much, some may actually be better. They all return a lot of key players, and we aren't the only program with players ready to step-up and perform.

South Carolina returns the same amount of starters as us. Their QB has a ton of in-game experience and will be a senior leader on the team. Their running game is going to be very strong to give him help. Their offense is going to be very strong. Defense may be an issue for them though.

Same thing with Missouri, their offense returns 9 starters!!!! They are going to be real explosive on offense, the issue with them, just like South Carolina will be the defense.

Georgia will be the opposite, their defense pretty much returns everyone. Look for them to be real strong on that side of the ball. With Gurley, Marshall, and playmakers at the WR position, I think Mason will be alright for them next season.

LSU and Alabama are the ones that lost a lot of talent, but both teams are always loaded with talent.
    • Agree Agree x 4