Pre-tiring muscles. Good. Or bad

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by jaxbeachgator, Jul 15, 2012.

1. jaxbeachgator

jaxbeachgator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Would like some opinions from folks knowledgeable on the subject. Is is a good or bad thing to pre tire a muscle group before you work out. What I mean, for example, on a day that I normally would work chest muscles by doing bench press etc. I will go into a side room in the gym and do multiple sets of varying types of push- ups. After 15-20 minutes of push-ups and some other core work I then go to complete chest work in the weight room.

I sure can't lift as much on those days that I do this.

Just don't know if this is a stupid thing to do or not. I just enjoy doing pushups and like to start workouts with them and other core exercises.
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,297
    I'm just not sure why anyone would want to do 15-20 minutes of pushups. :wink:

But yes, pre-exhaustion has been around for a long time. However, it was originally envishioned as a way to shorten a workout. Typically, you'd do one set to failure of an isolation exercise like, say, chest flies, then immediately follow with bench press.

It's obviously not a good strategy for increasing strength. It is, I suspect, good for hypertrophy.