Pre spring football questions...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Feb 13, 2014.

1. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,325
    I'm not sure I understand. The rehab process got him suspended? Can you clarify/expand on that?
  2. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,128
    That was always my question about last year. What was going on with conditioning that enabled or at least didn't do more to prevent injuries? Were they too eager to put weight on players, to make them stronger at the point of attack, than to make them flexible and stronger in ways that protected them from injuries?

IMHO, I know it was a year ago, but I think UF ruined Matt Patchan's career at UF. You have to wonder when a player whose father played college football looks like he's finished, then goes on to play for another D-1 program. His worst injury actually happened in the weight room. How much bigger and stronger did we need him to be? He was the most promising pure SSDE we had in years before that next class came up. What did we do to him trying to make him a prototype OT?
  3. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,128
    I'm guessing that if the university had not caught enough positive drug tests, the admission that he was in drug rehab may have forced their hand. Too bad. A kid right out of rehab needs his teammates and is someone the team can rally around. He also has some new found wisdom and maturity to share.
  4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,587
    It's so tough to tell from the outside, that I hate to make any assumptions, but we had a very unsusual run of luck with injuries last year.

I always thought Patchan was just a cloud of bad luck... He got shot before he ever set foot on campus. Had a scooter accident, too, right? And reinjured himself in rehab, a couple times.

I really did like him at SDE tho. Good point.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,209
    We used the same S&C two years ago. I chalk it up to bad luck to an extent. I have my own theory but I'll wait until the little bro is gone before I discuss it here.

Patchen is a head scratcher. If you google his dad, he seemed to be injury probe too. I remember reading an article about his dad being injured when he was with the Eagles (I think that was the team).
  6. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,086
    Fan22, according to Pat on gsports, he was saying this years s&c was so brutal that it left one player crying. Was Pat being accurate or just being over the top? It seems to me, that this year's team is going for strength and speed vs trying to be hulks. With our O of last several years we were to be a smash mouth running team that seemed to require more muscle and holding blocks longer. With our new OC it seems to be more speed and conditioning where holding blocks for a long time isn't necessary. Is this accurate? Also, I gather your lil brother is on the football team, what position? Is he saying this years training is harder? I wonder with having a losing season if this has something to do with outworking our opponents. Also, is this team better motivated after last years embarresement?
  7. g8rfan22

Ratings Received:
    +1,209
    @gator34654 To be honest, when they are conditioning it wouldn't surprise me to see some of them hurting but I can't confirm the crying. Pat may have been exaggerating, but then again it's possible. Your thoughts are pretty accurate. Changing the offense requires a different type of training to some degree. The up-tempo offense will require more cardio training/fast paced training. I know more about the offense because that what my bro plays. They are working on crisp tight routes and footwork, even the FB/H-Backs.

They are hungry and that's good. We have some good young players and some great experienced players.

I'm excited for them. Call me crazy but I'm very optimistic about the upcoming season.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,162
    My three questions.

1. Will we actually be unpredictable on offense?

2. Do we get to watch more than 1/3 of a practice..not including the orange and blue game.

Will T-rob wear his superman cape to practice.
  9. g8rfan22

Ratings Received:
    +1,209
    1. I hope so
    2. The closed practices don't bother me (I get to go to some of them). It helps keep things in-house when necessary, ie: "tweaks" & scuffles. The media can really get firestorms going when it isn't always necessary.

JMHO
  10. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,023
    I hate the unpredictable question. There were plenty of times the offense was unpredictable. Saying the offense isn't predictable is a revisionist response. The issue was a major lack of execution. I think a better question would be, "will the gators actually execute on offense?"
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,086
    I have no beef regarding watching practices, then again I live a great distance. As long as they are improving and are being well coached that shows on game day I'm ok. One of my biggest concerns is having a back up qb ready. If JD goes down again, we have to have someone capable of running the O. I anticipate an improved O, how much is the big question.
  12. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,162
    The other teams knew the play we were gonna run before we did....always run on first and second down, throw with a third and long...behind the line of scrimmage...In the rare event we got a first down, an undisciplined flag of some sort would be thrown, back us up..and warm up the punter..
  13. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,172
    The playbook is the OC's little secret. Don't tell anyone. Especially Boom. Boom thinks we only have two plays. When we call one of the other plays, a walk-on will get a special signal and distract Boom from the action by spilling coffee on him, tripping over his shoes and falling into him, blowing a tuba into his ears, etc.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,278
    I think Matt was a classic case of having to much weight on a frame designed to hold less, gotta have the joints that are thick enough to carry the load. On another note, I would rather have seen Ingram as a wr as opposed to a te. He was a freak athlete, that had more of a gazelles body.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1