Pre spring football questions...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Feb 13, 2014.

1. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    Have the offensive players been given the new play book?

GS indicated in a tweet that the S&C this year has been brutal. Any info?

Do we know at this point if there will be an O&B game or just another scrimmage?

Did Morningwig transfer?

What do kickers do during this time, I can't imagine they do same training, it's not like they need to bulk up or have great stamina. Do they work on kicking I hope I hope I hope.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. proud_poppa

proud_poppa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +589
    To answer your kicking related question, yes, they do S&C training just like everyone else. Each player has an individual workout schedule that they follow, so the k/p's are not going to have the same as linemen do. As for training, yes, some of them actually went to Daytona Beach last weekend to a camp last weekend. They trained and also helped out with HS ( & possibly younger) kids at the camp. They will also have additional training coming up.
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,984
    Fixed.
    • Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    on a scale of 1-10 how serious was this, because if this was serious it may go down as one of the worst posts ever. What kind of person wants to play an O/B game with 6 healthy lineman taking every snap for both teams?! Always good to see fans that have the teams best interest in mind, you are the number 1 fan because you love the O/B game so much that you don't care about the teams personnel. you sir, are the fan of the day!
    • Like Like x 2
  5. gatorlaw15

gatorlaw15 Member

Ratings Received:
    +63
    Yes

Yes.

No.

No.

Kick.
  6. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,259
    The #1 question for the off season should be: How can the staff limit the risk of injuries before opening kickoff?

This is my only concern right now and I sure hope the S&C staff to Muschamp have done everything in their power to strengthen this team, but not overdoing it. Let's please have an offseason that prepares us to come into week one relatively healthy. There are ways to limit the risk of injuries, it's not all just "luck".
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    Good thread topic.

My first question is how is rehab going for all of our injured players from last year? Will be interesting to see who is actually back for spring, who is a definite for start of fall camp, and who is sometime after that.

Second question is what will we see as shifts in primary roles on the offense and how often we expect them to be used. For instance, I fully expect to see an H-Back heavily utilized... but what percentage of the time and how often will we use more traditional TE and/or FB roles.

Who is developing as most likely back up at Buck, and SDE?

Any switches expected in LB positions?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. sevmonster

sevmonster Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +167
    Have they sent playbook to Harris?
  9. subtle_gator

subtle_gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    Demarcus Robinson

Since his suspension I have heard very little about Demarcus Robinson, little was known about what happened concerning his violating team rules infracntion and ultimate season suspension, as they should, UF staff keeps these matters private to protect/help the kid.

Demarcus is from Ft. Valley GA, FV is a small rural town of about ten thousand, with very few big box retailers and several home town mom and pops stores. The sort of town that reminds me of the old Cheers saying "where everybody knows your name", and they especially know the big time WR recruit that signed with UF. I had the oppurtunity to visit FV with a friend who has rental property there but is stationed in the next town at Robins AFB. Upon heading across the tracks reading the "Welcome to Fort Valley" sign the first thing that came to my Gator mind was "Demarcus Robinson is from here". Besides my friend's rental the two places we stopped (local hardware store and a local resturarnt) I asked a few locals what they knew/if they knew D. Rob. With resounding "Of courses" they all confirmed that Demarcus had gone through the rehabiltation process which ultimately got him suspsened.

I commend the coaching staff for getting him help over football, I pray he is on the right track to full health, wondering if any recent campus updates/sightings and looking forward to great things from him in the spring!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,984
    And you, sir, have officially hurt my feelings!

Seriously, though, I don't think my words should have generated a full-scale call to arms after the way things turned out last year. If I still thought that decision to not hold a game was really about the injuries and not actually about not wanting to showcase a (what is now obvious) complete lack of progress following the Louisville disaster, then I would take your point. After all, every single other program in the NCAA managed to find enough players to cobble together a Spring Game. That includes smaller schools with fewer scholarship athletes than UF.

And it was not about my right to entertainment as a fan or some such nonsense. When you're winning, keep the program as closed off as you want. I won't say a word. He's not winning. We need to see what's going on in that program.

But, hey, if last year was a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence, then there's next to no chance that Muschamp will cancel the Spring Game again, right? And if he does -- for whatever stated reasons -- maybe the scales will fall off of the eyes of Muschamp's few remaining apologists. And that, too, may be a positive and necessary step to getting us back on course.

Finally, I will reiterate that I hope I'm as wrong as wrong can be about our head coach and last year was the aberration, not 2012. But in the mean, I hope you'll forgive my complete lack of confidence given the state our beloved program is in.
  11. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,579
    I always like seeing the new roster w/ updated weights.

I'm hoping that Humphries puts on a few pounds (like 10-15), T. Brown loses a few (like 20+), some of the WR's put on weight (Thompson 167lbs, Bailey 185lbs, Fullwood 196lbs at 6'5), and some of the D-lineman (Sherit 247lbs, Cox 260lbs, Riles 287lbs). If Cox stays at DE he's probably good where he is, but would still like to see him over 270.
  12. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,151
    In all my time watching college football, I've never heard of a major program cancelling their spring game.

Ever. In 20 years of watching.

I realize the player health and safety is always an issue, but how many snaps will they really take in a spring game with a running clock and 10 minute quarters?

50 or 60? Maybe?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,579
    Looking at the current roster there are two (significantly undersized) walk-on OL's:

Nick Davis, 6'3 251lbs
    Matthew Fuchs, 6'2 246lbs

Relying on walk-ons obviously isn't a solution to our OL depth...but can help w/ scout teams and - in this case - a spring "game".

You'd think w/ 50,000 students we could find another half dozen OL's/DL's to come play on the scout team. Walk-on's are limited in spring & fall camp (I believe the spring & fall camp rosters can only be 105 players total; 85 scholarship + 20 walk-ons...until the first game week, then the roster can be expanded. Not sure of that rule exactly, but I'm certain the limit is 105 players in camps). But w/ the newly signed players not enrolled there should be room for plenty of walk-ons in the spring (and they can be added back once the season begins and the roster can expand beying 105).
  14. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,352
    Isn't every off season workout brutal? It's not like our guys are out of shape.

We'll be in trouble if every offensive player is not studying playbook and watching video of Duke every day. Hanging out and building connections. JD needs to be working on upper body and become a video fiend.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,392
    Yes. It's not as if they are "out of shape", but not in "football shape". They are doing a lot of running/conditioning and hitting the weights. For those that didn't atleast try to stay in shape, it's a brutal experience.

I talked to my brother yesterday and he's excited about the upcoming season. He's ready to get back out there.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    Have they changed the training program much in anticipation of more up tempo, or in any way for injury prevention? Changes in target weights?
    • Like Like x 2
  17. g8rfan22

Ratings Received:
    +1,392
    Sorry for the delayed response @OaktownGator.

Yes. They have changed their strength and conditioning up some. A lot more running and a faster pace in the weight room.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    So not so much the olympic style lifting like last year?
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    Makes sense - thanks.
  20. g8rfan22

Ratings Received:
    +1,392
    Some aspects are the same, but with a different approach. Seems like the emphasis on the bruising power has toned down for the changes in the offensive philosophy.
    • Informative Informative x 1