Pre-season All SEC team

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by InstiGATOR1, Oct 10, 2013.

1. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    I guess we shall see, but I doubt it. Wilbekin is a top flight defender, was second in the SEC in assists etc. He is an excellent all around player. I doubt a true frosh will be better, but I guess we shall see if Wilbekin does not mess up again.
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    He plays like he fears the free throw line.
  3. jmac83

jmac83 Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    Guys who haven't learned to assert themselves on offense by the time they're seniors usually don't assume a new persona that last year, either, in my experience. I have a feeling Pat's legacy will be as a solid defender on the low block (except for trying to take a charge from small guards too often rather than making them pay for driving into the key), a great representative of his program and school, and unrealized potential on offense.
  4. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Do you realize what smoking does for your lungs and your ability to get up and down the court?
  5. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    And on top of that Pat is a fine human being. Everyone that I know what has met him loves the big man. His smile is infectious.
  6. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +823
    What about Chandler Parsons?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +823
  8. jmac83

jmac83 Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    Chandler's offensive production actually took the substantial jump in his junior year. Some of his key offensive stats actually dipped a bit in his senior year, but he did so many things well (and it was a favorable year for him competition-wise) that he was SEC POY anyway.
  9. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    1. Good point on Parsons JR v. SR seasons.

2. A possible difference with Young might be that the three players UF lost from last year were players that used up offensive possessions. For example, Boynton, Murphya and Rosario made 48.85% of UF field goals last season, 15.1%, 17.08% and 16.67% respectively. So someone else will have to be making a number of shots this season. One argument it will be Young is that UF at least to start does not have great depth at PF/C. An argument against him he made 15.94% of UF's shoots last year and as you said, it is hard to believe that is going way up as a SR.

3. One more bit of data is that Vernon Macklin jumped from 17.53% of UFs made field goals as a JR to 19.73% as a SR. I sort of view the latter figure as the maximum number for Young or anyone on a UF team and that jump of 2% of field what one might hope for with Young this year. That is I could see the division of the top players as something like Young 18% of made FGs, Wilbekin 13%, Frazier 15%, Finney-Smith 15% and Harris 14% for a total of 75% of the made FGs. Last year the starters made 76.87% of UF FGs.
  10. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +823
    I'd like to know what your definition of "offensive production" is, because Chandler put up more points per game, more rebounds per game, and more assists per game as a senior than he did as a junior. Not only that, his three point percentage went up dramatically from his junior year 34%) to his senior year (44%) on double the attempts. He wasn't a consistent outside threat as a junior, nor was he on anyone's radar for SEC POY. What doesn't show up in the stats is that he grew up and became the team leader as a senior and played with confidence in all aspects of his game, which a lot of people thought he was incapable of doing based on his career to up to that point (CP's problems were frequently said to be between the ears, and if the light ever came on, watch out...much like the comments on Young now)

Young's sophomore & junior stats are nearly identical. 10.2 ppg, 6.4 reb per game.

Compare that to two lottery picks and NBA All Stars, Horford as a Soph (11.3 ppg, 7.6 rpg) and Noah as a junior (12 ppg, 8 rpg), and Young is not dramatically "under performing" by comparison. He's within reach of having a very good year statistically, and with more weapons to create floor spacing this season and with the addition of Hill, who will create a lot of easy scoring opportunities for Young, he could become a 12/8 player as a senior.
  11. jmac83

jmac83 Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    Stats I saw showed that for the season, his points (11.3 vs. 12.4), shooting percentage (.480 vs. .493) and ree thrown percentage (.557 vs. .662) dipped in his senior year. You're correct, his rebound and assist numbers gained nicely, three-point shooting up only a hair (.368 vs. .358). Maybe you were citing league play stats only? In any case, several of those stats jumped substantially from sophomore to junior years. Agree with you on intangible leadership capabilities arising in his senior year.
  12. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +823
    Well it was in reference to him winning SEC Player of the Year, so yes those were SEC stats. That just goes to show you that Chandler was putting up rather pedestrian numbers prior to league play in his senior year, and the switch flipped once we got into his last season of SEC games.
  13. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +646

Yeah, I agree. Sometimes I'm reminded of Rondo when I watch Hill. Both smaller but extremely athletic. Hill can dunk with ease. He's going to be great, only question in my mind is whether that's this year, next or both. Also how he blends with Wilbekin and how PT works this year. Okay, thats more than one question I guess. I don't doubt Billy will have a good plan for this.
  14. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +774
    I think WCS is very good player. I'm a bit surprised they are choosing him over Young, if for no other reason than the experience factor. For better or worse, when two players are similar, it seems these ratings usually tend toward the experienced upper class player.

That said, Florida does the most remarkable job of balancing stat sheets in such a way that usually eliminates it's players for too many individual honors. Our only SEC POY averaged something like 11 ppg. This is all fine with me. I want to win games and championships, not individual awards. I just hope we can do some of the former.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,334
    I know this is basketball and not football, so individual skillsets can be discerned more accurately. But I have a problem any pre-season poll that has a player who has never stepped foot on a college court picked on a first-team ballot. I don't have any problem picking UK as the pre-season favorite to win the SEC with a bunch of freshmen but there is a reason that the NBA has the O-A-D rule. Looks can be deceiving when it comes to HS basketball players.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    Maybe it is just me, but I was pretty impressed with WCS when he went head to head against PY last year. Oddly, I think both players make a similar jump this year. Barring injury, I think PY has a great year.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +420
    It was impossible not to notice the difference in Kentucky with Cauley-Stein off the court in our game at Lexington. When he played, we couldn't get anything in the paint. When we got him into foul trouble and he sat, we romped.

Not much of an offensive game beyond "bull my way to the basket and dunk," but he was a force defensively, at least in that one game.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,881
    It's not just you. WCS was a very impressive presence on the court late last season after looking like a stiff (to me) earlier in the year when Noel was still playing. I was very surprised by how well he started playing when they really needed him.
    • Like Like x 1