Prather, Scotty, Yeguete?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by 108, May 15, 2014.

1. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,354
    I know Patric has been invited to the NBA combine, but anyone know what is going on with these 3 senior Gators?

Any chance of Prather or Scotty getting drafted? Europe?

Thanks
  2. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +227
    NBA summer league I think for all 3. They must prove themselves then.
  3. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,055
    For the life of me I don't see how aaron craft was invited but Scottie wasn't. For arguments sake they're equal defenders, Scottie is significantly better offensively, they're the same height and Scottie is 2 years younger. Scottie is the better player with greater upside, I don't get it.
    • Agree Agree x 9
  4. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +626
    Good points, all.

NBA teams will give Scottie a serious look. I suspect Casey and Will will make big money overseas. Look for 40% of the French National Team starting lineup to be ex-Gator.
  5. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +646
    I've been wrong before but I'd be surprised to see Prather or Will make the league. Scottie less so, but still surprised. There are just so many guards available every single year it seems. I think he ends up falling into the "very good college player" category and ends up making lots of money over seas. I just don't see what separates any of these guys enough relative to their competition. I did think Parsons would make it in the league, but not NEARLY as well as he has. So who knows.
  6. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663

name recognition.....not much other than that
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    in that vein....I can see Prather POTENTIALLY carving out an NBA career. His game most typically fits NBA standards. He is athletic and can play defense

the thing that I has me concerned is his outside game.....two years ago he had a nice three point shot from the corner.....his outside shooting has become less dependable but of course I believe that is the easiest of any player attribute to remedy. Especially if the fundamentals are in place, which I believe are with Casey.

anyway....in short, CP is the most likely pro.

and you know that I love SW for what he is and what he has done for Gator Nation. Just don't see an NBA player. Although he COULD become a quality (backup role player) in the mold of say Gary Neal (I know that Nela is 2-3 inches taller) but in that idea.

may take him a few years....but it could be there

Will Yeguette is an international player......GREAT GATOR, but never an NBA guy
  8. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    I think Prather, Young and Wilbekin have a chance to carve out NBA careers because of their defense

With regard to Will, I wonder if his microfracture surgery ultimately dooms his hope of a basketball career at any level. Will he recover enough over time that he could withstand a full pro season?
  9. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,055
    the only name recognition I associate with him is the guy bruce pearl screwed up his career for.
  10. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +384
    It's simple from my perspective, for both Wilbekin and Prather, go to Europe. Why play ball and be a backup in the NBA when you can be a starter and team leader in Europe, make a ton of money and have a lot of really hot women with terrific accents interested in you.

Yeguete appeared to be physically improving as the season wore on this year. Perhaps his body will allow him to play professional ball. Once again, Europe, South America, or perhaps even Asia. Of course, France would be a natural for him as Planet suggested.
  11. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +626
    Why?
    Some guys can actually make more overseas than in the NBA (see Calathes, Nick). But competitors want to prove themselves at the highest level, which is by far the NBA (see Calathes, Nick).
  12. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +626
    You may be right. Casey is a better pure athlete than 80% of the guys in the NBA. His skill set is his limiting factor at this point, but in the NBA, it's a year-round training and skills-development thing. Lots of guys improve dramatically when they enter that system.
  13. OhyeahIC

OhyeahIC Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    Most players that go to the NBA have been marketed for the NBA since high school. (Young) Sometimes other players break through but, most NBA players are the same players that were high school or college All Americans. I read an article a few years ago that broke down the percentages(one of the rating services, can't recall which one). Players should realize that there are a limited number of slots, and not get stuck on the NBA. Just because they were not one of the selected (marketed)players for the NBA does not mean they are not good enough to play in the NBA. I hope they all have a good basketball career where ever they play.
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,768
    I can see any/all of them ending up in Europe... or the NBA.

None of them will be immediate stars in the NBA, but that doesn't mean they can't play.

With SW, think John Stockton but a little quicker. Tough player, very good defender, shoots well when left alone and can get his own shot as well as assists. And he is still younger than most guys coming up.

With Casey, I think madgator and GatorPlanet had good takes.

WY can be a glue guy... defend, get rebounds and loose balls. Convert garbage buckets when you have the chances. Work harder and smarter than the other guys out there. Many teams are in need of guys like that.

For any of them, I think it's a matter of getting the right fit, and making the most of it. But regardless of the NBA, they can certainly play in Europe and do very well for themselves.
  15. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +646
    As a general rule, its probably not surprising who does well in the NBA when you go back and look at recruiting rankings (even though there are lots of exceptions we could all name). But are you attributing this to causation instead of correlation? Marketing sure may influence who gets combine invites or even who is drafted where to a degree, but I don't agree that marketing is as determining a factor as you're suggesting.
  16. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Will has about zero chance. He is a great glue guy in college but he has no real qualities for an NBA roster tbh.
    Scottie I'm puzzled on why Craft is there and he isn't but who knows. He should be in the summer leagues

Prather is a little different. I think he has real potential. He is athletic, he drives and scores at the rim well, he has a decent mid range shot. He needs to work on his outside game, but he has some tools I would think the NBA would love. His ability to finish at the rim was better than any SF besides Wiggins last year and the stats say he was actually better, and the NBA is all about getting in the lane and drawing contact now. I think he ends up on a roster and becomes a decent bench player.