Prather for SECPOY?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by rserina, Jan 24, 2014.

1. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,846
    I know, I know, the award has to go to Randle, but if we were a league coach and Florida won the league outright while Prather continued at his pace of 17 and 6 at over 60% from the floor, I would be hard pressed to ignore him. Taking a look at the advanced stats right now and it is remarkable how effective Prather has been scoring the ball for a team that has needed it, despite doing so from the wing without a three-point shot, rather than parked in the line at the post:

Efficiency rating: Randle, 27.2; Prather, 28.6
    True shooting %: Randle, 61; Prather, 64
    Effective shooting %: Randle, 55; Prather, 61
    Usage rate: Randle, 27.7; 27.5
    Offensive rating: Randle, 119; 125.7
    Offensive win shares: Randle, 1.9; Prather, 2.0

None of that tells me Prather is a superior player (obviously) to Randle, or even that he is a better player, but you can't really make a statistical argument that Randle has been better than Prather, at least offensively. He deserves to be in conversation and, in my opinion, if we do win the league and he is playing reasonably similar to the way he has been, I think he can win POY.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +585
    You make a very good case for Prather.

The award doesn't necessarily have to go to the guy with the greatest pro potential (Randle), or even the best player. The award should go to the guy who matters most to his team's success and the race for the SEC regular season title. But I guess the voters (or whoever decides) will have their own criteria. By my criteria, I could make a case for either Prather or Wilbekin as the top players on the top team...but there's a lot of basketball yet to be played.
  3. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,857
    Well, if the votes go to the best player on the best team then why not?
  4. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    Its going to Randle. He is on Kentucky and is getting covered out the wazoo.
  5. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +598
    I wish voters would just agree on how these awards were to be voted on. Define the award. Is it literally the player of the year? Or should we combine this with the notion of value (like an MVP)? The reality is, some voters will go with one and some will go with the other. My personal opinion is that the award goes to the best player. Sounds simple, I know. But if every player were available in a pre-SEC season draft, just for that year, what player would most coaches take first based on this year's data? When I look back on past SECPOY winners, hypothetically, I want to see a list of the best player that was in the league each year. I don't want see a list of the best player on the best team. If Auburn had a Kobe Bryant on their team, but somehow managed to finish middle of the pack, then I'd still want to see Kobe as POY if his play dwarfed other players in the league. IMO, best player on the best team is arbitrary and can take away from the accomplishment of a "team." Maybe the best team was the best because of how well coached they were or how well the pieces worked together, how well they executed, etc. That's all great and that's why we keep track of who the best team was as well! I just don't necessarily care who the best player on THAT team was!

All that being said, I don't see how its obvious that Randle should get it. If it were just about points/rebounds/assists, then he'd have a slight edge. But I like, and barely understand, advanced stats and think they're valuable. Rserina didn't even mention that Prather has twice as good an assist to turnover ratio than Randle does (who has been a TO machine).

I think it'll end up being neck and neck between those two. I think we're seeing less of Randle, although still a lot, in UK's offense as the guards start to improve. Teams are also adjusting to his few post tricks also. Its also fair to say Randle benefits from more exposure and probably has a flashier highlight package outside Prather's occasional HUGE dunk. I'd also hesitate to say that someone other than Scottie is Florida's best player.
  6. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +572
    Not to discount Casey's performance this year, but I think I'd probably favor Randle at this point, if I were a voter. He is such a load that requires attention on every possession, and really attacks the offensive glass. That said, it is impressive how Casey's eFG% is higher than his, even without the three ball. He's being smartly opportunistic, which is great for the team. Less so for his chances at the SEC player award.
  7. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,846
    The real rub is who votes, and I don't quite understand the breakdown. I know is the coaches and the media, but what proportion of which? Coaches who play Florida will I think see the value of Prather--just as they did the value of Parsons. But will the beat writers, who--like Brockway--often pay far less attention to the intricacies of the game than they do box scores and highlights?
  8. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +385
    The SEC POY is whomever the voters vote for. It is not necessarily the best player in the league. It is not necessarily the best player on the best team.

It is actually kind of silly and just a nice thing for whomever wins it.

Who won in 2007? (I know but I ain't saying.) It wasn't Horford or Noah.
  9. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +572
    I actually kind of like that Florida players don't win this award, and the titles are a great example of why. They are balanced cooperative teams.

As for the 2007 question...I'd probably guess that really good shooter that Tennessee had (though I don't even remember if he was there in 2007). Chris something? Lofton. That's what I'd guess.
  10. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Chris Lofton definitely won it during one of his 7 years at UT.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    Defense factors into this award as well right? That should favor Prather pretty strongly.
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,846
    Without cheating, was it one of the Vandy kids? Or was it Lofton?
  13. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +598

Defense better factor into it. Prather has 6 more steals and Randle has 3 more blocks. I don't see either as being a game changer on that end.
  14. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    It was Lofton in 07. I was pretty sure of this and then looked it up. And it made me wonder...what ever happened to Marcus Thornton? He's the LSU guy that won it in 09.
  15. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +385
    Half credit.

There was no single POY, but instead co-POY's in 2007. Lofton was one of them.

Added in edit: I misspoke. Lofton was the AP Writers selection. The SEC coaches picked someone else.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  16. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Prather is a better defender right now...tossing that out.
  17. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,846
    That's fair. Prather has been solid, but nothing like Wilbekin, for instance (though I actually think Wilbekin has fallen off a bit from last year).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +714
    And to be honest in 2007 Chris Lofton deserved it. He was the best player in the SEC and I sure as heck was happy when he graduated. He didn't have the game for the NBA but he was tailor made to be a college star. Noah/Horford were better players in terms of potential skill set but they didn't get to showcase it because we had such a balanced team. Lofton was the team for UT.

Thornton is a high quality NBA player for the Kings.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat <font color=blue>Respected Rival</font>

Ratings Received:
    +606
    Who votes for the SEC player of the year? Is it the media or the coaches? I hope it is the coaches.

I have to say what Donovan and staff has done with Casey gas been damn impressive and I don't see how anyone could disagree. Donovan loves those TN players!

Jeff
  20. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,846
    I still have nightmares about that guy taking--and making--contested threes from 22+ feet. It was just unreal. I wonder what would have become of him had someone given him the Curry treatment. He isn't as athletic as Curry, but his shot was just as pure.