Possible solution to College Football!

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorkev_85, Oct 17, 2013.

1. gatorkev_85

gatorkev_85 Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    So I was talking to friends at work today and this is what i came up with. Once or if we ever go to four 16 team conferences, what do you think of this. Drop all cupcake games and force every team in the 4 conferences to play one team from each conference. Once you've played that team they do not come back to your schedule until you've played each team from that conference. So each team from the 4 conferences would play every team within 16 years.

To be fare to each team if you have a home game one year against that conference the next year would be an away game. The games would be picked by a ping pong like the lottery. When it's your time to have a home game you draw a ping pong to decide what team you play from each conference.

The 4 team playoff would consist of the 4 champions from each conference. Each year your schedule might be a little soft or in could be really tough, but all in all I think it would make things more entertaining and would make for a better football season.
    Thoughts?
  2. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    creative but not a good idea at all. your eliminating one of college footballs greatest aspects... rivalries. way to confusing with your ping pong stuff. home and away series between conferences is a bad idea also. overall this is a terrible solution and it would ruin college football. terrible
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    There's no way they're going to pare down to 64 teams. I think you're probably more likely to see 8 16-team conferences and expansion than 4.
  4. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +159
    OBOB....I agree it will be difficult if not impossible to pare the top tier teams down to 64, but its worth trying. I am absolutely positive that eight 16 team conferences would be far too many! I still think 64 teams broken up into 4 conferences with 2 divisions each would make for a good balance. We could have an 8 team playoff..... 4 conference champs and 4 wild cards (not necessarily the runners up in each conference. Do I really think it will happen? No....but its fun to dream!
  5. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,380
    So we only play FSU every 16 seasons? To native Floridians this game is too important.

I find that most people willing to let that game go, did not grow up watching it...and in my case rooting against...their dad...or sister...or mom...or brother...or best friend...etc

I've always said...do anything you want with the schedule....just don't mess with that game played thanksgiving weekend.

Sent from my All knowing Android Device
  6. phideltgator

phideltgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +466
    it aint broke
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    This is a solution looking for a problem.
  8. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +872
    64 teams is too few, and 16-team conferences are too big.

8 conferences with 12 teams each. The conference championship games are the first round of a 16 team playoff.

Problem solved.

If we really want to go all out, FCS (or whatever they call it now) gets reorganized into 8 conferences, each associated with a Div IA conference, and at the end of the season, the conference champ moves up into Div IA and the worst team in each IA conference moves down. This would keep interest going for teams at the bottom of the conference, and give the smaller schools something to work towards.
  9. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    That 12-team conference ship has sailed, sadly.

Which is actually fine, because 8 14-team conferences means we only have to dump 10 teams from FBS.