Possible rule changes to college hoops

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by oneatatime, Apr 11, 2014.

1. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +271
  2. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +816
    I'm in favor of the shorter shot clock, but if they change the rule it's going to be weird when they arbitrarily revert back to 35 second clock in mid January like they did with the 'freedom of movement' rule.

OT but why are both Harrisons strechting and yawning in that picture?
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +751
    They all sound good to me. We lost points several times because continuation wasn't called correctly. Hopefully they just make it a point of emphasis and not like the nba.
  4. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +855
    Only thing I'm in favor of is the shorter shot clock to 30 seconds. Fewer timeouts is RIDICULOUS...the "length of the game" problem is not because of coaches, it's because of the $%@#!$%#!% commercial breaks every 4 minutes of play.

Also, what am I missing about this?
    I can't recall a single time I've seen a player called for charging and the basket still count. I don't understand what this is saying.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. g8rboy

g8rboy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +127
    actually, i thought if the shot went up before the charge they still counted the basket. terrible rule, of course.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    On the shot clock, why in the world would anyone want to take a game that is much superior to the NBA and try to make it more like the NBA?
    • Winner Winner x 5
  7. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Because the nation doesn't agree with that based on ratings I guess. CBB can't even get it's own video game now ;/. Can we start a petition to get NCAA March Madness back. I only own gaming consoles for sports games, and I want to be Florida and win 8 national titles in a row darnit!!##!#@@!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +271
    If they only make one change, please make it be the backcourt rule.

I find it absurd that a team in trouble in the backcourt calls a timeout and gets an additional 10 seconds to cross the midcourt line.
  9. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +594
    Agreed! This is one rule change that will benefit the Gators.
    I have mixed feelings about a shorter shot clock. I could go with 30 seconds, but no shorter. Don't care for the NBA 24-second clock...too many bad shots, too much one-on-one.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. BLING

BLING Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +89
    I think I vaguely remember seeing this at least once or twice. Not sure if it was a Gator game.

What happened was the player came down the lane, put up a "floater" in the lane, and then barreled through the defender for the charge. The rule was that the guy had taken the shot (ball left his hands) before he made contact, therefore it was 2 points and then basically a "loose ball foul". I just remember the circumstances, but I have no idea what teams or if it was a Gator game or someone else.

It must be incredibly rare call. I think this one must have been in a late game situation, because I remember the announcers going on about it and how they'd never seen it before.
  11. BLING

BLING Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +89
    The no timeouts thing is just stupid.

Sounds like the mess they made when they tried to "shorten the game" in football. But the problem has nothing to do with the rules of the game, it's the damn $$$ and tv commercials!!!

What they should do, is if a coach calls a timeout. Use that for a full commercial break. Then limit the "TV timeout" that follows to a shorter 30 second timeout at most (or just eliminate the TV timeout entirely if it's within 1 minute game time of the coach calling a TO). That way the game isn't interrupted by back to back full commercial breaks. Think they will do that? Nope.

Instead they consider trying to "shorten the game". Give me a break.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  12. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +816
    Nail on the head. I always get a kick out of the shorten the game attempts. Sure it shortens the actual game, but they're going to keep it in the same 2 hour window, it's just more commercial time they can sell. Same thing with the stupid idea of eliminating extra points in the nfl
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Bradass

Ratings Received:
    +855
    Yeah, this sounds like the only way that situation would ever occur, especially with the new emphasis on the defender having to be set when the offensive player begins his upward shooting movement. Has to be an extremely rare call
  14. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +428
    I agree with this. I don't like the NBA and love the different styles represented in the college game. Leave the shot clock alone.

On the timeout thing- they already have one "use it or lose it" TO in the first half. Why not do the same thing at the 2:00 mark of the 2nd half so both teams, at most, have 2 time outs once the clock hits 2:00. That will shorten the end of games.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,713
    It actually happened at least once in this tournament.
  16. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +716
    I can see the shorter shot clock and the backcourt rule helping the Gators significantly. Our press already has many teams setting up their offense with ~20 seconds remaining on the clock. Now we will have them with even less time.
  17. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +399
    This is closely related to my biggest pet peeve and deepest desire: if a coach calls a timeout after the 16, 12, 8 or 4-minute marks, but before the respective media timeout is triggered by a stoppage of play, THAT $&*@)*$)@( TIMEOUT NEEDS TO COUNT AS THE MEDIA TIMEOUT. None of this nonsense where a coach calls a full timeout at 7:56, we get a full commercial break, come back, get 10 seconds of play, there's a foul and then another full commercial break comes along. Just stop that.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Bradass

Ratings Received:
    +855
    To be fair, Billy D loves this move...but that's just him taking advantage of the rules as they exist.

OMG, did I just make an argument for Calipari being something other than a dirty rotten scoundrel? Nah...
  19. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +399
    Oh, it's a wonderful chance to get your guys some rest. It's not Billy's job to entertain me.
  20. Bradass

Ratings Received:
    +855
    FWIW my tongue was firmly positioned in my cheek when I was typing that :p