Possible Mid Season Rotation

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by themistocles, Oct 31, 2013.

1. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    You raise a good point here, but as I said above Yeguete has not shown he can play a season without leg problems. Still lets look at what would be reasonable to conjecture:

PG: Wilbekin plays 30 minutes, Hill plays 10 minutes
    SG: Frazier plays 25 minutes, Hill plays 10 minutes
    SF: Finney-Smith plays 25 minutes
    Post: Young plays 24 minutes, Harris plays 24 minutes, Yeguete plays 20 minutes

That makes 6 players using up 168 out of 200 available minutes. That also leaves 5 minutes at the guard spots, 15 minutes at the SF or for going 3 guards and 12 minutes at the post spots for a total of 32 minutes.

At the guard/SF spots the candidates are Carter, Graham, D.Walker and Prather.
    At the posts spots the candidates are Prather, C.Walker.

Certainly if C.Walker gets into UF as projected now, he will use up at least the available post minutes and maybe cut into the minutes of other post players. So I expect, barring injury, a four man rotation at the post positions. My only real uncertainty is whether Harris can handle 24 minutes. Still UF has a 4 man post rotation.

At the guard/SF spots, it sure looks to me like a pretty crowded situation. I am not sure I see minutes available for everyone and one redshirt might be a good idea. Really to me the Wibekin/Hill minutes are set though people can believe Hill will be the ultimate PG starter or not, they will likely use up 50 to 60 minutes between them. Now if it is 50 minutes, then there are 10 guard minutes for Carter or Graham to play. I guess at the SF, the backup can be D.Walker for 10 minutes and Prather takes the other five minutes ready to fill in at the 4 if/when a big is in foul trouble or injured.

So I guess as in my first post in this thread, I have 10 to 11 guys playing double digit minutes. So as I said, maybe Donovan will play 10 players this time, but every time we have had this discussion in the last five years, he has ended up with a playing rotation of 7 or 8 guys.
  2. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +259
    I too think we may go Billyball (at least it is fun to consider):

Wilbekin (20) Hill (20)
    Frazier (18) Carter (17) Graham (5)
    Prather (15) DFS (15), D. Walker (5)
    Yeguete (20) C. Walker (20)
    Young (22) Harris (18)

These are minutes (not necessarily the sets of 5) but there will be some times when you see sets of 5 man substitutions. Man, that would be entertaining, not to mention allow each player to go all out all the time!

Unfortunately, with the depleted roster, we never see all guys healthy at a time.
  3. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,029
    This, it's roster driven
  4. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,822
    D Walker will get some minutes too. Graham may only play in garbage time. He could be a good player for us his Sr year but he seems to be a couple years away from significant pt
  5. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    When we're at full strength, I don't think either is going to get anything more than garbage time.
  6. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +867
    I'm glad someone else thought this. I know graham is injured but I have not seen any reason he should get any significant minutes. He's smart/has a great bball IQ but is about as athletic as me.
  7. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    Graham is very athletic. He had a bad shooting night and was playing hurt...
  8. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Wow are you actually watching UF's games? Graham is significantly more athletic than Frazier and was the most athletic of the Frosh last season. Whether or not D.Walker has passed him in athleticism remains to be seen this year. His problem is a two guard MUST knock down the open 3.

Also let me remind you that in last years exhibition Graham went 4-4 from the field, 2-2 from the arc and 2-2 from the line for 12 points in 19 minutes of play.

http://www.gatorzone.com/basketball/men/boxscore.php?gameid=10899

So after that game last year many UF fans probably thought Graham would be a great shooter for UF. So I would be careful about snapping to a judgement on him based on one exhibition game.

I will say this, if Graham were to get a medical redshirt this year while Carter plays, next year Carter would be a SR, Frazier a JR, Graham a Soph and Francis a FR. If Carter were to get a medical redshirt this year while Graham played, then next year Frazier, Graham and Carter would all be JRs and Francis a FR. I know which looks better to me as a fan, but of course this involves real people and that is up to Donovan to work out.
  9. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +598
    A few factual corrections.

- You forgot Carter.
    - Harris is a center.
    - C. Walker is a power forward.
  10. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +598
    It's all guesswork at this point, but that's part of what makes it fun.

It will be interesting to see not only who Donovan plays, but the lineups he deploys. He has a lot of options, so 8every game, we need to pay attention to who is on the court at any given time.

PG: Wilbekin (25), Hill (15)
    SG: Carter (20), Frazier (16), Hill (9), Graham (2)
    SF: Finney-Smith (24), Prather (8), D. Walker (2)
    PF: Yeguete (19), C. Walker (17), Prather (4)
    C: Young (24), Harris (16)

Note: total minutes at SG are more than 40 and at SF are less than 40 to reflect that we will sometimes go with a 3-guard offense.
  11. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +598
    I understand why people might be skeptical that we will give significant minutes to ten guys. We've only done that once in the Billy D era (2000).

But, I can't figure out who gets limited minutes out of the following.

- returning starters: Young, Wilbekin
    - transfers who started at high major programs: Harris, Finney-Smith, Carter
    - freshmen who were 5-star recruits: Hill, C. Walker
    - returning backups who received substantial minutes in 2013 or longer: Yeguete, Prather, Frazier

There needs to be an explanation why one or more of these guys is not going to get 10+ mins per game if he is available. I don't see it happening.
  12. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Had you read my post, you might have noticed:

- I had Carter or Graham likely to redshirt.
    - I believe Harris and Young will play together some of the time if not often and as I said I consider the two UF inside positions as quite similar.
    - C. Walker may be raw enough offensively that he will play closer to the basket as a frosh, so it is not yet FACTUAL where he will play at UF.
  13. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +619
    Supporting our thoughts on here, this is from the May SEC preview by Dan Hanner (of roster based prediction fame):

14. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,822
    I wonder if Dan Hanner knows Devon still plays for us?
  15. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Ok so can someone please answer me this. We're going into the first game, what's our starting lineup look like, and our depth with injuries and suspensions?
  16. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +363
    He shot horribly last year too. 1/10 from distance. It isn't just his ankle injury. He's an end of the bench, garbage time D-1 player.
  17. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +619
    You think that might push us up to #1 in his model? :)

I am assuming that Walker was thought to be transferring back in May, but I really don't remember his timeline.