Possible Mid Season Rotation

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by themistocles, Oct 31, 2013.

1. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +376
    Admittedly, I am just guessing at this point, but, assuming (and this is surely a false assumption), that by mid January, all 12 Gators who are theoretically on the scholarship roster (assuming C. Walker makes it) are fully functional, it seems to me that this may reflect the rotation depth chart (with, of course, a lot of flexibility due to the flexibility of so many of the players):

5 – Young, Harris, C. Walker, Yeguette
    4 – Yeguette, Harris, Prather/C. Walker, DFS
    3 – DFS, Prather/Frazier, C. Walker, D. Walker
    2 – Frazier, Carter/Wilbekin, D. Walker, Graham, Snake
    1 – Wilbekin, Hill, Carter/Graham, DFS, Billy Jr

Now, of course, this may be completely off base, and I really see C. Walker and perhaps Carter as the wild cards depending on how things work out with them. But, given the rather vast number of players available for each position, it certainly seems to me that probably the following three players would be better of personally if they redshirt: Carter, D. Walker, C. Walker.

Note, that I have C. Walker at center despite his light weight, because the 4 is the most difficult position to play on a Billy D. team particularly given his extremely limited time to work in the system. He may also play the 3, but he, like Prather, is not really known as a great 3-point shooter, and he certainly lacks the physical maturity of either DFS or Prather, so that is why I put him as and alternate #2/3 at SF.

As I noted, merely guesswork, and the probability of a Gator team without injuries given recent history approaches zero, but I just did this out of curiosity as I thought about all the players who "should" be available this year.
  2. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +93
    I think Carter will play in a lot of 3 guard lineups, BD has always liked that. The other two fellas would be ok as a redshirt. Only problem is early depth at guard with Wilby/Frazier/Carter/ etc injured.....sounds like D walker will play. I gotta believe C Walker gets to play some if he gets eligible. Should be interesting to see this team come together.
  3. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Well here is the way I see it with (minutes):

PG: Wilbekin (25), Hill (15)
    SG; Frazier (25), Graham (10), Hill (5)
    SF: Finney-Smith (24), D. Walker (10), Prather (6)
    PF: Harris (24), Yeguete (12), Prather (4)
    C: Young (24), C. Walker (16)

Maybe I need to take a few minutes from the bigs and allocate them to the guard for 3 guard lineups salting away a win with healthy margin and the other guys fouling.

My thought position by position:

PG: I may have Wilbekin too low. Donovan likes to play his PG 30ish minutes.
    SG: I sort of think eventually when everyone is back Carter or Graham may end up with a medical redshirt. Either that or maybe Hill and Wilbekin do not play that much together.
    SF: This will tell the tale on D.Walker. If he is ready contribute, then he will get minutes here and Prather will get more minutes at the 4.
    PF/C: I really consider the UF bigs interchangeable. So whether Yeguete or C.Walker are technically the 5 sometimes does not matter. Prather is of course a bit different as he can swing from the SF to PF.
  4. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +283
    Carter could be a star if he gets completely healthy and in shape. Devon Walker might be our starting 2-guard to start the season. If he plays well, he should be in the rotation thereafter. If everything works out, we could have 12 really good players this season.
  5. VTGator

VTGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    I know it is too easy to nitpick, but I see no way a healthy Yeguete plays 12 minutes and a senior Prather plays 10 minutes. I'd say at least 20 and 15 minutes respectively.
  6. themistocles

Ratings Received:
    +376
    Actually Insti, I also think your minutes are a bit off from what we will see.

Yes, Billy D likes to use his PG roughly 30-35 minutes per game. I think we will see Wilbekin at the 2 for a minimum of 5-10 minutes per game, which would give Hill at least 20 min per game.

I also see no way that either Yeguete or Prather play respectively 12 and 10 minutes per game. I think minutes will be spread much more evenly than you suggest.

I am going to record this thread, and look back at it when mid February rolls around.
  7. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +41
    I agree with all the criticism of my suggested minutes, but I am at a loss of how to distribute them otherwise. The principles that I operated under are:

1. Donovan plays bigs around 24ish minutes a game.

2. Donovan plays guards around 30 minutes a game.

3. Donovan plays McDonald's AA caliber recruits between 18 and 30+ minutes a game. (Young 17.8 min, Lee, 18.0 min, White, 20.5 min, Greene 19.1, Harvey 20.2 , Nelson 22.8 min establish the minimum)

4. At times in the Donovan era, some seniors, particularly senior non-starters, have seen their minutes eroded by talented underclass players.

The problem right now is that UF has too many guards, but I think one will redshirt. Given their recent history, I wonder if Prather and Yeguete should not be thought of as guys unlikely to go an entire season without missing some time.
  8. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,976
    Nope....give me:

Hill/Wilbekin PG
    Prather/Carter SG
    DFS/Frazier/Harris SF
    Walker/Yeguete PF
    Young/Walker/Harris C
  9. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +519
    There will be three-guard line-ups as well, with Scottie, Hill and Frazier on the floor together. I think Devon Walker and DoDo can also be used as guard in that line-up, which is a huge advantage.
  10. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    Prather will never play a minute of SG for UF, ever
  11. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    When everyone is back, I'll go:

Wilbekin (20), Hill (20)
    Frazier (15), Carter (15), Wilbekin (5), Graham (5)
    DFS (20), Prather (10), Frazier (5), D. Walker (5)
    Yeguete (20) C. Walker (15), Prather (5)
    Young (22), Harris (13), C. Walker (5)

We'll be soooo deep.
  12. themistocles

Ratings Received:
    +376
    I see your logic Insti, but I wouldn't necessarily think that history determines the future. I think it helps "predict" but things can vary quite a bit.

For everyone:
    Regarding C. Walker, you may recall that Billy D said he was going to get a very small package to learn due to the lack of time. Usually, by December 15, the young guys have been on Campus since July, learning from the older, and as I mentioned, Billy D's 4 is the most complicated position to learn, that's why I had him at the 5 some, and he might play 3 some, but barring injury, with DFS, Prather and Frazier likely to play there, there aren't many minutes.

Yes, Prather and Yeguete are likely to miss some time based on history.

GatorsGators, although I agree that Prather is not likely to see time at the 2 (I think DFS is perhaps more likely), I also can't see C Walker beating out Yeguete for the starting PF spot.

It always interests me that so many posters to this board simply haven't understood just how good Wilbekin, Yeguete and Prather are. During the past two years I have seen similar statements about all three of them from various people: "Their time will be down below 10 minutes a game." I realized their qualities early in their Freshmen seasons.

Now, at least, after last season, most appear to understand that Wilbekin is an incredible contributor to the team. But absolutely the same is true for Yeguete and only a little less so for Prather.

Those three are all outstanding players, and they will get their time. Only Prather is likely to be pushed out of a starting spot, barring injury.
  13. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +41
    I added the numbers to comment on these two parts and omitted the rest:

1. I agree the past is not completely predictive, though it still Donovan making the decisions. I do it can vary quite a bit particularly in cases like Boynton where UF has a great need at a freshman's position.

2. I completely agree with what you are saying about Wilbekin, Yeguete and Prather.
    They have been huge contributors. I really only included it to emphasize what you said.

Gatorsgators: UF is very deep, but by the time late February or March rolls around, coach start limiting their rotation. Usually a coach settles on 7 or if they have them 8 players in a pretty tight rotation.
  14. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +519
    Billy also has a history of playing 10 guys -- the 2000 team was deep and in the tourney a lot of people played a lot of minutes. Our bench was strong. This year, depending on how Harris, Carter, DoDo, Devon Walker and Chris Walker play, we can do that again.

Excited. Go Gators.
  15. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +41
    It is 2013. Donovan does NOT have a history of playing 10 guys. Donovan played 10 guys early in his coaching career a decade and a half ago.

A history of playing 10 guys would be if he had played 10 guys regularly during his coaching career at UF. He could not play 10 guys every year for example 2006-07 UF was not that deep, but other years when he did have 10 guys like last year for example, he did not regularly play 10 guys.

That said, has in the past played 10 guys and could revert to his coaching style of his early career this year. So I am not saying it is impossible, I just do not see it as likely based on Donovan's recent history.
  16. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +595
    Definitely. If this team gets everybody healthy, and they are all ready to contribute, it will be interesting to see if Donovan decides to bring back "Billyball".
  17. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +283
    Assuming we get our full complement of players and all are healthy, this will be the first time since 2000 that we are deep enough to play 10 guys. In such case, I would be very surprised if Billy did not play at least 10 guys. For those folks who think that Billy would not play ten guys, please tell us who among the following players would not play: Wilbekin, Hill, Carter, Frazier, Prather, Finney-Smith, Chris Walker, Yeguete, Harris, Young.
  18. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +595
    Looking at this list, I can't find any name that I would keep off the court, if I didn't have to. Wait a minute, "if I didn't have to". That's it! I know the reasons for all the suspensions, illnesses, and injuries. Billy has too many players, so he's pruning the available lineup so he doesn't have to go 10 deep!
  19. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +283
    :wave:
    :wave:
  20. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,976
    Never is a long time.