'Positive' outlook on the season

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Spleezy, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Spleezy

Spleezy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    We're not the worst team ever because we lost to Miami, we can still be a 9 or 8 win team this year or better if we clean some stuff up.

Tennessee looks like they always do before they play us 2-0 and like they finally made it over the hump but then they play a real team (this year Oregon) and come tumbling back down to Earth. I think we should win that one at home. (2-1)

Kentucky...do we even need to go there?? (3-1)

Arkansas it's in the Swamp, as horrible as some feel we are, Samford gave them a game. This new run heavy version of the Hogs shouldn't be a problem. (4-1)

LSU is going to be tough, not saying anything people don't know. I like how our defense matches up but we need to be healthy up front on offense to have chance. If we're not mistake free it's going to be a long night. At this point in the season I say it's a close lost unless our red zone offense improves (4-2)

Missouri is improved but looking at what our common opponent Toledo did against them (172 on the ground) I like our chances. (5-2)

Georgia is going to be another tough one but even if you are of the mind we lose to both LSU and UGA we're still 5-3 at this point. I think if South Carolina can rush for 226 on them and Clemson for 197 we can do enough to win. Last year with a better defense for UGA we were close after 6 turnovers. (6-2)

Vandy at home won't be a cake walk but we ran all over them last year and I don't see them changing that this year. If it turns into a shootout we could be in for a game but my bet is our defense keeps them in check at home. (7-2)

South Carolina is another tough game on the road. At worst we're 6-4 after this one in my opinion and that's only if you don't think we can upset UGA, LSU, South Carolina or some combination of the three. Again just my opinion. I think this one comes down to which defense plays an entire game and who limits mistakes. I think if Clowney takes one too many plays off (8-2) if the OBC pulls out some tricks (7-3) but after seeing him just let the clock run out against UGA and two assistants fighting on the sidelines, I'm going (8-2)

Georgia Southern forgive me if I don't think another Louisiana Lafayette happens (9-2)

Florida State they way they look so far and the way we look, I hate to say it but I give them the edge at the moment until I see more this season. I know it's early and I think Easley on senior day will be unstoppable but this is just where I am at this point in the season (9-3)

A lot of my picks can be disputed but I tried to be as fair as possible and I honestly see a 9 or 8 win season. I'm interested to see others picks and explanations.
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    We're not losing to FSU. And I'm not sold on LSU being all that great.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +326
    8-4 or 7-5. We had better get the turnovers like we did a year ago. This offense vs even an average SEC defense is going to struggle to SCORE POINTS driving more than 60 yards.
  4. mfpardnor2

mfpardnor2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,196
    FSU playing such an incredibly weak schedule does not create a great team Jameis Winston will be like a deer caught in the headlites against our D.
  5. G8RNTN

G8RNTN VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +842
    Everyone also said "we're not losing to Miami" as well...
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,515
    Anywhere from 8-3 to 11-1 is plausible, honestly. You're always in it with a great defense.
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    Becasue I did expect that many turnovers... No one does.
  8. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,790
    Until further notice, the final win tally will depend on the turnover margin for each game. We win them, we can win all of them. Brain fart games where the D can't match then I see losses.

What I can't fathom is the 2010 Miss State game where the other team knows we can't do anything on O. THAT would be a travesty. I hope we aren't heading in that direction.
  9. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    with some talent gaps on offense, winning 9 games will be a decent season for this team. Hopefully in 2014, they get the QB position settled, a much better Oline and some top receivers.
  10. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +326
    It is pretty obvious now teams are going to gang up on the line and stop the run and just say, "Jeff Driskel Beat us if you can".
  11. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,790
    Until further notice, the final win tally will depend on the turnover margin for each game. We win them, we can win all of them. Brain fart games where the D can't match then I see losses.

What I can't fathom is the 2010 Miss State game where the other team knows we can't do anything on O. THAT would be a travesty. I hope we aren't heading in that direction.
  12. sec1

sec1 VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +54
    Most everyone on here thought we would beat Miami easily ... I think we will get beat by LSU , Fsu , and UGA for sure ...
  13. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +330
    Without our self-destructing we do beat Miami easily. Honestly, there isn't a game on our schedule that I look at as not winnable. That's not to say we will win them all but I think we end up in contention if not winning the east. Georgia, USCe and LSU will be very tough; cannot make the mistakes we made last week and win any of those games. FSU is still an unknown and probably will be until they play Clemson but they will not face a defense anywhere near as good as ours.
    Some will call me a "sunshine pumper" or whatever but I refuse to be like the "negative nellies" either. I’m not even opening that “we could end up with a losing record” thread. The sky is not falling....good grief.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +188
    I would put it at anywhere from 7-5 to 11-1, we are capable of losing to a lot of teams. How will it actually work out? I'm more optimistic about our season than I was at this time last year, but I still have no idea what is going to happen this season.
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,817
    It's very difficult to dominate an opponent like we just did, and lose the game. I can seem maybe a couple more losses like that, but I have a difficult time seeing more than that. Not that we can't screw up more than a couple of games with mistakes... I just don't see us losing every game where we screw up. We' dominant enough on defense to win anyway.