Positive Effects On Offensive Lineman From Roper's System

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by DeBigLeezard, Feb 6, 2014.

1. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +278
    Without getting into too much length... I have heard that Roper's system at being a no huddle, up-tempo style of play will be a benefit to our offensive linemen. Let me throw out some items that have come to me lately.
    (This may be why Muschamp has gone out and gotten over a dozen linemen over the last two recruiting cycles.)

1. There will be an increased number of plays per scoreboard minute. Similar to what Auburn does by not having a huddle and standing a couple of yards from the ball. The players simply turn around and get lined up.
    2. The system is based upon speed and quickness and getting playmakers in space.
    No more trying to run up the gut when the defense is putting 20 guys in the box.
    3. Getting the ball out of the quarterback's hand quickly.
    4. Getting the ball into the hand of the running back quickly... or timed... based upon what certain defensive linemen do. And/or... linebackers blitzing or defensive ends rushing in... or droping off to cover the flats.
    5. What all of this leads up to is: Offensive linemen will not have to hold their blocks as long as compared to the typical Pro-Style system. The whole play happens much quicker...and is based upon surprise and deception. Counters... angles, crossing patterns, etc.
    This makes it easier on our offensive linemen. Much less grinding the feet and holding blocks for an extended period of time.
    The whole effect is score the most points in the smallest time available.
    Another benefit is that there may be a higer rotation of offensive linemen. (This is a guess based upon my information) But this higer rotation of lineman will keep all the OL guys fresh and give many who are second stringers more playing time... which makes everyone happy. And this is why Muschamp and Summers want to recruit a higher number of offensive linemen each year.

(Come on down Ivy!)

How does this affect an offensive lineman over a three to four year period? He does not play as many plays as one would find in the normal Pro-Style system. Thus, he does not expose himself to fatige and thus...injury to his knees.
    Pro scouts really don't want to know how many plays a college senior lineman has played. When they see talent, they want to know what kind of condition that talent is in.
    Any knee injuries and surgeries?
    Most injuries to an offensive lineman occur while a man is trying to "move the pile" and... on extended blocks.
    The lineman's cleats are dug into the sod...the sustained flexed knee gets twisted... and there goes an ACL, etc.
    This is exactly what happened to me.

Roper's system will hopefully cut down on that.
    Once again... I am not claiming this to be "Gospel"... but only what I have heard.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 6
  2. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +366
    Don't know about the system, but I do know that UF can't lose 4 of its top 5 OL to injuries like last year.

Roper needs to coach up Driskel to play QB better, utilize the WRs better, and the OL coach has to get a solid starting 5 out of the grab bag of JUCOs, transfers and underclassmen that make up UF's OL.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,606
    Defense has to work much harder than offense too, so once we pick up a couple of first downs, the OL starts to get a physical advantage as long as they are in good condition.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RD_gator

RD_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +80
    That's what I noticed too. Picking up that first 1st down (no matter how long it takes) is usually the key before going to a hurry up on a particular scoring drive.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor x 1
  5. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +253
    I wonder what the implication here is for the development of an offensive lineman in the weightroom. I would have to figure that a guy like DJ Humphries would really benefit from this
  6. slayerxing

slayerxing Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +509
    It'll be interesting to see how the system changes with Muschamp's philosophy on a power running game.
  7. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    for the past 4 years our offensive line play has been at times average at best and dismal at worst. I don't know if Ropers system will help improve this but this is something that has to improve one way or another
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +642
    WM knows that this is a line of scrimmage league. He has done very well on the D side of the ball but I'm not sure how many top OL we have scooped up. I think we get 1 really good OL recruit each year but not sure on the quality of the others. I'm hoping this has changed.
    One thing for sure, our OL never seemed to develop or the rift between the OL coach and OC certainly didn't help. I know JD gets a lot of criticism and some well deserved, but my goodness, so many times he was under pressure from a turnstile OL. This past super bowl, how well did Peyton do when defenders were in his face? Yes, JD needs to improve, and hopefully he has a coach that can show him how. I'm not so sure Peace did that.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Agree....but that's why we have a new OL coach.

Last year was a problem due to a combination of things, but injuries and apparently (as reported/rumored) the OC & OL coach not being on the same page were a big part of it. Not sure if lack of talent was an issue, but these OL's need better coaching to "develop". We keep hearing about a lack of player development on the O side of the ball. IMO, this all starts w/ the OL. If those guys aren't blocking it doesn't matter how much improvement JD makes...or the WR's....or the RB's. They can't do anything if the OL isn't doing it's job.

Personally, I would have liked to see the TE coach replaced... There's no excuse for 2 AA TE's to be sitting on the bench in their 2nd year in the program....AND none of the other TE's doing zip either. The TE position last year was an embarrassment. But who is that on? The OC, the TE coach, the QBs, the OL....or the TEs themselves?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,273

Are they moving "Ivy" to the offensive side of the ball?
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  11. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +613
    Martez Ivey from Apopka. 2015 bluechip OL recruit.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,273
    Lol... Okay, that makes sense..
  13. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +278
    Yea... I misspelled his name....
    From what we hear, he is leaning our way.
  14. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +448
    I have alwys wondered why RB recruits want to play in the sec if their objective is to play in the nfl. SEC play has to effect your longevity in the NFL.
  15. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,794
    I think that philosophy has gone out the window. We still want to have that option but it's no longer the focus.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. GatorMets

GatorMets Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    So, if we go to a no-huddle offense, does that mean that we aren't going to recruit the top of the line defensive recruits.
    I seem to remember that Boom at one time said that a d player would be crazy to go play for a team with that approach!
    Strange how he would change his opinion when your job is on the line!
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  17. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +756
    Roper's offense sounds way too complicated and fast-paced for any of our players on offense to handle. It will be a couple of years before Grier is ready for SEC play. I do think we could jump up to a top-90 offense, though, so I am optimistic. :)
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. GatorMets

GatorMets Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    I do agree that the no-huddle would be the best approach.
  19. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    Leezard,
    The good news is, I believe we have better talent on hand than Malzahn did at Auburn.
    I mean, Kelvin Taylor, Lane, Fulwood, DMarc, Driskel on O,
    Fowler, Hargreaves, Maye, Gorman, Morrison, Poole, et al on D....
    The bad news is.. do we have a thinker like a Spurrier or a Malzahn to utilize that talent?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +325
    This will help our OL more than anything else...and I believe Jeff too! I never understood why Pease didn't work on this more with Jeff. The majority of our sacks and hits on our QB's was from them holding onto the ball too long.