Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

POLL -American Pride? Proud to be An American?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by RayGator, Jul 7, 2018.

Are You Proud To Be An American?

1. YES. Republican.

21 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. NO. Republican.

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. YES. Democrats.

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. NO. Democrats.

3 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. YES. Independents.

22 vote(s)
    36.7%
  6. NO. Independents.

7 vote(s)
    11.7%
  1. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I can be proud to be an American but not proud of all Americans at the same time

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007

in the same vein, I find it odd that immigrants (from all countries and throughout history) that have come to this country while having more pride in the $hithole that they came from rather than the country that they wanted to come to better their lives.

The paternal side of family made it very clear to me why they came here from germany in the late 1920's...….post-war Germany was a $hithole. My great grandfather used to tell a story about the best meal he ever ate in his life was of a dead dog on the side of the road that he and his brother found. This after eating whatever turnips they could forage every day for several years, any meat was a welcome addition.

That side of the family was always proud of their heritage but were never proud of the country itself......they left for a reason

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    30 yes votes
    8 no votes fight now

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Make sure your facts are correct before you post. Michelle Obama made her remarks about being proud of "her country" while Obama was still a candidate, 9 months before the election.

www.truthorfiction.com/michelle-obama/

"Questions About Michelle Obama

It was during speeches in Milwaukee and Madison, Wisconsin on February 18, 2008.

In Milwaukee she said, “People in this country are ready for change and hungry for a different kind of politics and … for the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country because it feels like hope is finally making a comeback.”

In Madison, she said, ““For the first time in my adult lifetime, I’m really proud of my country … not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change. I have been desperate to see our country moving in that direction and just not feeling so alone in my frustration and disappointment.""

5. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Uh, isn't that what he said?

6. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    No.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rocinante

Rocinante GC Legend

May 28, 2013
    I voted no, this country became exactly what we attempted to reject in our motherland, England. We treated anyone who wasn’t white, Christian and male for almost 200 years like the Brits did with anyone who wasn’t white, Protestant and male. We treated the Indians like they did the Scotts and the Irish. We ultimately created a caste system and a system of birth right. In fact we currently look very much like the corporate run country we said f/u to in 1776. Corporations run our government, the East India Company ran England. Workers rights are actually better in England today than here. I don’t see that we improved much from where we started.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
  8. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    Geeez........:ninja2:

• Like Like x 1
  9. mutz87

mutz87 Famishus Vulgarus VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Pride only hurts, it never helps. You fight through that s***.
    'Cause a year from now, when you kicking it in the Caribbean, you gonna say to yourself, "Marcellus Wallace was right."

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    What a great hat

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    America, Imagine the World Without Her

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Jbarrett1359

Jbarrett1359 VIP Member

Oct 27, 2008
    I dont understand why we cant be proud to be American. You dont go around telling people they cant be proud to be Mexican, or Irish, or Canadian do you?

Lets run down the things you are NOT allowed to be proud of... being American, Male, or White. So far I think that's the list, but please let me know if there is anything else I am no longer allowed to be proud of.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    When I read a post like this, one completely misconstruing and misstating the point of a previously made post, I wonder why the person is compelled to argue a strawman. @Jbarrett1359 doesn't strike me as being obtuse, so I am left to conclude it is deliberate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

May 31, 2007
    yeah, It's so bad here that no one is even trying to get in...
    ...oh wait.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Of course you can use other words to create the same meaning. That just makes my point.

Pride can be both good and bad.

Pretty simple to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    I'm proud of this thread.....it rocks!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    At the risk of heating up this too hot thread, I would totally be proud to be an American, if I was from another country and became a citizen here. That’s a serious task. And a choice.

As it is now, I was granted citizenship by luck of being born to Americans.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't think the words I substituted for yours do mean the same. I think you - and others who also declare they are proud of something - are most times mistaking satisfaction and being pleased or grateful, for pride.

You further mentioned "the pride of self worth, arrogance." I don't think of those attitudes as being a pride, but rather the outcome of unchecked pride. This is why in many verses the Bible warns against it. A healthy sense of self worth is realized through one's self respect along with a healthy dose of grateful humility. Basing self worth solely on one's achievements engenders pride.

Judaism calls pride "the root of all evil." In the stories of Genesis is the sin behind the first temptation of the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge and the reason Cain killed Abel. In Matthew 5:3 Jesus declared those without it, "the poor in spirit," were blessed and the kingdom of heaven was theirs.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Jbarrett1359

Jbarrett1359 VIP Member

Oct 27, 2008
    What exactly am I misconstruing or misstating? Some people, you included, say we shouldn't be proud be American. Simply because we were not alive when it was founded. Thats BS. People contribute to America all the time. We have power to guide the country via elections or military or government service. Does being proud to be American mean we think we are better then people from other countries? For some maybe, but I would think not for the majority. You dont want to be proud of your country and your part in it, that's your right. Just like it is my right to find that idea stupid.

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    I replied you misconstrued, misstated my post and raised a strawman. You responded:
    I did not tell you - or anyone else - you or "they can't be proud..." or were "not allowed to be proud to be an American." My post did not list anything you are "no longer allowed to be proud of."

Rather, it contrasted and compared the differences between pride and gratitude, satisfaction, or being pleased with one's circumstances. It explained why pride should be avoided from a biblical perspective. You raised a strawman in your contention that you "are not allowed to be proud" or that you were being told you "can't be proud to be an American." That you selected to challenge a strawman rather than address the potential ugliness of pride is on you, not me.

• Agree Agree x 1