Police shoot unarmed black man in own driveway

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by leogator, Aug 1, 2013.

1. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,082
    Makes sense. So are you saying "the other side" in bad or good way? Or professionally?
  2. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,695
    It should worry all of us if the police are willing to open fire at the drop of a hat. Doesn't matter the color of the person who is being shot at. I understand that cops are naturally nervous when approaching someone they think is a criminal and if that person doesn't obey their instructions it compounds the problem. Still you can't just have them shooting people willy-nilly.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. wargunfan

wargunfan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    The next time he goes fishing for a cigarette it will be in his brand new Escalade. I hope he scores big time and that these two cops lose their jobs. Quick draw cowboys like these two have no business wearing a badge and firearm.
  4. 1329gator

1329gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Waiting for the usual suspects to put their usual ''spin'' on this one...:ninja:
  5. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,082
    Split second syndrome and its unfortunate consequences.

Police practice/are trained to be hyper-vigilant for their safety. And while it's always disturbing to see/read about them shooting unarmed citizens, sometimes it's just a result of bad training or just bad decision making under some rough circumstances (not saying that was what happened here).

That said, when the do screw up, the state must pay up.
  6. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +224
    The neighbor probably didn't recognize him because it was 2:40 am. Why would the cops run the plates? The neighbor called it in because he thought his neighbor's car was being broken into. The cops were in the wrong but it wasn't because they didn't run the plates.

In your other post you said "definitely waiting to see the identity of the caller". Are you implying the caller did something wrong? What should the caller have done?
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,680
    By looking each other as individuals instead of the stereotype.

Not sure how else to approach it.

Hopefully if enough of us do that, from all backgrounds, that starts to be how people expect to interact with each other, instead of by stereotype.

The other side of this is that we just need to expect more from cops. It's one thing if you or I mistake an innocent person for a criminal, and call the police... might not feel good, but nobody's really hurt, as long as the police do their job.

When the police mistake innocent person for a criminal and start firing on first movement with no warning? That's crazy and they need to be held accountable.
  8. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +127
    He/she should have called out to the neighbor and said, "Hey, how you doin'? It's pretty late, just wanted to make sure everything was okay out here, wasn't sure, just checking." Or "Hey, what you doin' in my neighbor's car?!"

Or, when calling the cops, should have honestly said, "Not sure what's going on, could just be the neighbor getting something out of their car but thought I'd call just in case."

Instead of, "There's someone going into the car next door, looks suspicious."
    "Can you describe them?"
    "Yeah, black male, not sure what age, he's just digging around in the car and I've never seen him before and it's pretty late."

Now... before any of that happened, he/she should have rang the doorbell at noon on a Saturday and said, "I live a few doors down, we haven't met before, just thought I'd introduce myself, we're neighbors after all."

Not blaming, just trying to understand how this stuff happens. In the end, the neighbor who made the call could be black himself, who knows. The lack of neighborliness and trigger happy cops could be all there is to this. Will wait for more facts.
  9. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +939
    I don't have a specific cite with me but I believe cops on average miss 9 out of 10 times firing their weapons. These Fifes were below average if true.
  10. kygator

Ratings Received:
    +224
    All of the options you listed were perfectly legitimate. I guess the only point we really disagree on is that I think calling 911 and letting the police handle it was also a legitimiate option if the person didn't feel comfortable getting involved at 2:40 am.

At this point there isn't any reason to believe that he didn't know his neighbor. I'm not sure if I would recognize my best friend if they were across the street on a dark night.

I also don't know if it is beneficial to have the identity of the 911 caller to be made public. If the caller is white, there will be assumptions of racism by some where racism may not exist. It has happened before and may cause people to just not get involved at all in future incidents.
  11. akaijenkins1

Ratings Received:
    +127
    Good points all and I see where you're coming from. Definitely gave me something to think about, now I'm DAMN curious if the neighbors knew each other.
  12. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    Professionally speaking... they bring the civil cases we defend.
  13. kygator

Ratings Received:
    +224
    Does Hallmark make a "sorry about getting you shot" card? :grin:
  14. ursidman

ursidman Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,192
    There is a middle ground between "Hello" and the use of deadly force. The police need to find it.

I started this thread a couple of days ago but it was first merged with another and then deleted entirely for reasons I am unable to fathom.
  15. tideh8rGator

tideh8rGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +369
    Wonder how many marches and protests will be made on behalf of this man?

THIS should be 100X bigger than Zimmerman.

He was unarmed and was NOT attacking anyone at all. The police were not firing in self-defense. They were just stupid and perhaps in this case, racist.

Make a big deal over THIS one guys.

I will be on the the victim's side all the way. I must confess, I am prejudiced against a color here, and the color is Blue.
  16. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Setting a great example for all the other paranoid trigger happy gun owners. I get it, you're all in fear constantly and paranoid beyond belief. Someone reaching for a tic tac is worth shooting because the scaredy cat is fearful. Grow some sack people. Stop shooting at shadows. Call the police, hang with your armed gun inside. WAIT for help. Yes, wait. You'll live I promise.
  17. kygator

Ratings Received:
    +224
    Did you read the story? There was no trigger happy gun owner. Someone called the police. The police were the ones that shot the unarmed man in his own driveway.
  18. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +825
    Caller was a white male neighbor. He's siding with the victim. That being said, I'm not introducing myself to any neighbors in thet neighborhood. Did you miss the part about the victim's son beung in jail for murder? That's par for that course errrr part of town..
  19. akaijenkins1

Ratings Received:
    +127
    Gotcha gotcha, 'preciate the info, know nothing about that area. One of the articles mentioned it as a "quiet neighborhood" thought maybe the son could've just been a bad apple?

Buddy of mine had a son get into a fistfight at a party, quiet kid but built like a tank, killed the kid in the fight and did time for manslaughter. It happens.
  20. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,680
    Agree with that. This is a serious issue all of us should be worried about an not just from a race angle. Out of control LEOs make life dangerous for us, and much more difficult for each other.

And after knowing all the facts about Zimmerman, there shouldn't have been murder charges filed.

But at the time Zimmerman first blew up, Sanford PD appeared to be letting something slide like had just recently happened there with a black homeless man who was blind side assaulted on the street by a white guy, and the Sanford PD didn't even arrest him. Caught on video, and posted on youtube.

And in my day living in Florida, Sanford had a heavy duty racist reputation. Not sure how much that's changed since then.

So there was a background in Sanford for why the Zimmerman case blew up, even if the DA was technically correct in not filing charges in that particular case.

None of this stuff occurs in isolation. People in Oakland are still fired up about the Zimmerman case, because it resonates with problems here with LEO, including the inexplicable BART shooting.

All that said, I wish media was more responsible in reporting, and leaders like Sharpton and JJ used some discretion with which cases they pushed, to make sure they were legit.