Please Tampa, please draft Johnny football

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by msa3, Apr 11, 2014.

1. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +628
    I know he's kind of a jerk, and there are red flag everywhere. But honestly, how long has it been since the Bucs had an exciting quarterback. How about never (maybe Vinny. Maybe. And maybe Garcia. Maybe).

Lovie's offenses always stink. Manziel could make stuff happen out there -- just run around and throw the ball to someone who's busted free. He'll never be a Manning, but he could be fun to watch. He did well on the Wonderlic, and it would bring some real fun that the team has been missing since -- well, since forever.

He won't be perfect but he'll run around and stuff, and make the Bucs must-see TV for a while. And there's always the chance he'll be good.

So if he's there, please don't pass on him for another WR, or OL, or DT. Give us something to be excited about. Please.
  2. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I would love to see Manziel on a Florida pro team. I think this stuff about his character being an issue is a red herring/nonsense. Yeah, his emotions got the best of him at times, but there is no doubt he wanted to do all he could to win football games. The ONLY thing that will keep him from being a star imho is his slight build, but I think that is a very real concern. He was hurting at the end of last year, and I think he may have a short pro career. Look at RGIII, who know how long that kid is going to last.? He was ineffective for most of the year due to injuries he received in 2012, that never healed.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,636
    This is my concern. I think the Bucs picked up Josh McCown, so I don't think they go QB early in the draft, if at all. Let's hope he can play half as well as he did with all those Bears weapons. Will depend upon the OL and health of Doug Martin.
  4. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +628
    I think McCown is a stopgap at best, and I can't see anyone getting excited over him.

I'm not saying Manziel is perfect, but I've seen guys like Josh McCown a lot of times in the NFL, and they are never anything more than good backups. And often not even that. look at Orton, or Kolb or Quinn whoever the guy in Cleveland was -- they all look good for a few games, but they're limited.

I think Manziel would give folks a reason to go to games, a reason to watch. Like I said, I don't know if he's going to be great or not, but I think he can make things happen. And since Lovie's offenses have stunk, maybe just gov whim the ball and let him run around for a while. Can't hurt.
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,636
    For every stopgap backup who failed there are as many or more anticipated stars who have also failed. If you don't know whether Manziel is going to be great or not, why would you beg the Bucs to draft him?
  6. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    When you draft a QB high in the first round, you better be right and he has to be great. Otherwise it dooms your franchise to at least 4 or 5 more years of mediocre seasons. See Freeman, Josh as an example.

Lovie Smith isn't a "wing it" kind of coach, on offense or defense. He wants players who know what to do and do what their told, not improvise. Manziel was exciting in college, but if you study film on him (like Greg Cosell did) he was not very good at reading defenses and he often didn't see receivers who were wide open. Many of his exciting plays were made by scrambling around and throwing up a jump ball that his receivers would win. That won't work for long on Sundays.

Johnny Football, like RGIII, is going to have durability issues in the NFL. If the Bucs want excitement and something to energize the fan base (and sell tickets), they should bring in Tebow. It wouldn't even cost them a draft pick.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,345
    Tebow's better.... Lol... IMHO.

Once he feels his first safety de-cleater in the NFL... ole Johnny will be thinking about yesterday when he was sucking on his mommy's nipple for food.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  8. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +668
    I think he's an excellent QB but I think someone is going to break him very quickly in the NFL.

Egotist, headline-maker, talented... someone will relish the chance to snap him.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    Better to get the linebacker, wr, and oline they need and take a Murray or Mettenberger in a later round.

Murray is better in the pocket and JF won't be able to outrun NFL D's for long.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,386
    If the Bucs draft him, I'll once again be thankful I'm not a Bucs fan.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +402
    Too small to be an NFL QB with the way he plays. As a lifelong Bucs fan, I HOPE they pass.
  12. CitRain12

CitRain12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +229
    If Tampa wants the no. 1 pick in 2015 for Winston please sign Tebow. Manziel is going to be a stud. JM would bring every skill TT has but character and that doesn't win titles in the nfl.
  13. rpmGator

Ratings Received:
    +573
    Tebow is a winner with a low turnover game that helps a D stay fresh so if you want to lose take Orton.

JF hasn't even won a division title in the SEC, yet teams are all over his game.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +466
    The talking heads are too. We'll see.
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,745
    Manziel can play.

Similar skill set and physical characteristics as Russell Wilson. Probably a better runner, but probably not as far along reading defenses or as a team leader. He improved his throwing and his coverage recognition while at A&M and he is as competitive as it comes. He'll continue to work to improve. I don't see any reason why he can't play very well in the league.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +228
    This is the old thinking, before the latest CBA. This old logic no longer applies since the rookie caps were implemented. That is why you see ham and eggers like Ponder and Locker being drafted in the top 15 now. !st round QBs no longer saddle teams with large cap numbers and if they stink they can be disposed of easily. The new cap structure gives teams incentives to take chances on QBs in the 1st round.

If the Bucs want to take a step back into relevance the they need to trade up to #1 and grab Manziel. he will be the first QB off the board and I have no doubt that he will be very successful in the NFL. His ceiling is incredibly high and he will energize the fan base.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. rpmGator

Ratings Received:
    +573
    He is not like Wilson. Wilson got ran off before his senior year and rebounded by leading Wisconsin to the Rose Bowl. I watched him that year because of him getting run, and had him just behind Luck in that draft while many were on RG3. JF hasn't won anything but the popular vote so far.

We stopped JF in the second half and LSU stopped him also with speed and keeping him in the pocket. The NFL has even more speed.

He may not even be there when the Bucs draft but I prefer others late anyhow. But hey, it was Gannon that ran off both Wilson and Freeman. Some think he is better than both. The shame is that the Bucs have two QB's already and people act like they have none.
  18. tampagatorlawyer

tampagatorlawyer Member

Ratings Received:
    +61

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO.

Seriously though. I hate to say it, but I think Johnny Football's pro career will be very similar to Tebow's.
  19. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,745
    So, Wilson is a better QB because he won the Rose Bowl? I didn't know SEC folks usually gave it that much credit. ;)

We stopped Manziel... in his very first college game, and we had the best defense in college ball that year. LSU also stopped him the same way, but just a few games into his college career. And LSU had a nasty defense. And this is a team game, right?

Aside from that, Manziel was a much better QB last year than his first year. The guy is working on his game. He has much better recognition and can make more throws than he could his Heismann year.

I don't follow the Bucs and have no opinion on whether they should take him, but I am pretty sure Manziel will be successful in the right situation.
  20. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +228
    Nobody at all thinks Glennon is a starting QB in the NFL. He is a serviceable guy. Nothing more at this stage. The Bucs don't have a QB, they have a short term 36 year old journeyman. You better believe the Bucs are going to draft a QB if the coaches hope to keep their jobs. They will need to find a guy to start next season or the staff will be scrambling for another journeyman and on the hot seat.

Let be honest and not compare Manziel to Tebow. Manziel can win with his arms. He plays the game with great anticipation. He should be 1st QB of board unless somebody puckers and reaches for Bortles.
    • Agree Agree x 1