Please don't miss the most important 1.5 minutes of your life!!!!

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by AustinGator1, Feb 22, 2014.

1. AustinGator1

AustinGator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +231
    Please spend a little over a minute for what could be THE MOST IMPORTANT MESSAGE OF YOUR LIFE!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,060
    That was awesome- thanks for sharing it
  3. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    And that's a big Amen..

Unfortunately a lot of swine on Too Hot, but ya never know!
  4. AustinGator1

Ratings Received:
    +231
    We are all God's Children. No swine that I know of.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,257
    After reading the thread title, I thought you had spoke with my wife.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +817
    Question: What did Jesus MEAN when he said we are not to cast our Pearls before Swine?

Answer: The scripture in question is in Matthew 7 verse 6:

"'Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces.' " (Matthew 7:6, NKJV throughout)

The word pearls above refers back to the word holy near the beginning of the verse and is a metaphor for godly wisdom and the kingdom of God.

God's wisdom, to which we should aspire, is likened to something very precious in another place in the book of Matthew:

"'Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant seeking beautiful pearls, who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had and bought it.' " (Matthew 13:45-46)

Of course, this is talking about the Kingdom of God and the wisdom one needs to enter that kingdom.

Methinks, Austin, this verse is appropriate in Too Hot considering the number of Godless posters. Not for me to judge finality though being an atheist until 44. Therein lies my hope for the lost.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  7. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +715
    Astro?
  8. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +817
    Oops. Thanks. Not only got the name wrong but misspelled the wrong name! Was thinking of Anstro's exchange with LD88 on another thread.
  9. AustinGator1

Ratings Received:
    +231
    MB. I take the pearls before swine as we should not try to argue someone into heaven for the very reasons you describe. We are all called to spread the Good News to all people and all nations. Much as Christ described in the parable of the farmer spreading the seeds, those words are going to fall on good soil and some will fall on bad soil. God knows how that will all turn out, not me. I merely try and do as I am asked and will let God do the rest. I will never hesitate to share the Good News on this board or anywhere else as I will never know who is reading it and what miracles God has in store for someone who may be reading it.

What I need to do a better job of is to quit debating the Truth with some of the acknowledged non believers on this board. I have a bad habit of trying to defend the Truth when no defense is needed. I have made more of an effort to merely state what Christ says and then walk away. However, there is still room for improvement on my part. :)

We are all God's Children and those that wish to be His should be given every opportunity to make the choice to say yes to being His.
  10. busigator96

busigator96 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +607
    Why can't Christians leave non believers alone? Why are there 33,820 denominations of Christianity in the world? Is that a matter of confusion or convenience? Maybe people don't believe because of the astounding level of hypocrisy of Christians and the "need" for countless interpretations of scripture? I believe "God's will" is just a convenient response for the unknown by man and I guess that makes me swine.

Too many Christians today treat their faith just like an insurance policy for "just in case" afterlife, and live life how they wish after they get saved. I am not saying all, but I would be willing to bet the majority default to this position over time whether they realize it or not. This just frustrates me.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. co_gator89

co_gator89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +484
    Didn't finish it.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +817
    We are in 100% agreement. My PBS comment was actually directed to the bolded above. We know who the non-believers are. Most are non-confrontational but then we also have a few mockers.

What we both hope & pray for are non-believers who are open-minded. Foe 41 years I was closed minded and for three open to discussion before finally bowing.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +817
    Busi, you might be surprised that I agree with most of your post. May I address some of it.

True Christian denominations agree on essential Christian Principles (Who Christ is and why He came). There is disagreement in non-essentials (Did God choose us or we Him, tongues, healings etc.). Chuck Colsen once wrote the toughest question for a Christian to answer is "Why should I become one when you guys can't get along?"

With regards to the "insuance card" I agree/disagree. Agree there are "insurance card Christians" but disagree that they are Christians. I am not a believer in "Cheap Grace".

There are two types of "repentance", contrition and attrition.

Contrition is a greatful heart that understands the sacrifice Jesus made for him/her and wants to please Him. not saved by works but works are the evidence, the fruit of a converted heart.

Attrition is like the kid caught with the hand in the cookie jar who is simply trying to avoid punishment, but no change of heart.

True and False Disciples
    21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
  14. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +817
    So my question for busi is "If you don't like hypocrites, why would you want to spend eternity with them?"
  15. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
  16. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +715
    What did Jesus mean by his 'don't cast pearls before swine' comment? He didn't mean it as license for his followers to go around judging and pronouncing certain others to be swine. I'm in Austin's camp with this one, MB. I don't know if you are familiar with Pastor Greg Boyd of Woodland Hills Church in St Paul area or not but he is a learned man (Princeton and Yale educated) and excellent Bible teacher. And orthodox (small o), too! ;) He was a theology professor at Bethel University for 16 years. I've listed to his sermons for years and found them wise and practical.

After reading your comment above about Too Hot swine, I remembered a sermon Boyd preached on judging some years back and thought you might benefit from listening to it. I know I did when I heard it. He taught on the subject at least twice. I looked for the one I heard originally but couldn't locate it. I found this one instead. It's almost as good as the one I originally heard on the subject and covers most of the points I remember. Let me know what you think after you listen to it.
    Link to sermon / teaching found on this page:
    http://whchurch.org/sermons-media/sermon/judgment-and-discernment
  17. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +715
    Austin, it's cute, catchy and up to the minute. And to play devil's advocate I'm going to paste a rebuttal (not written specifically for the above, I don't think) from former pastor turned atheist Dan Barker. In terms of bare bones fundamentalist dogma vs pure faith, the man has a point.

What would you say in response to Barker? What makes Christianity better than his cynical synopsis?
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  18. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +715
    Some Christians can't leave non believers alone because they feel compelled to fulfill what they believe is the Great Commission from Jesus - to go and make disciples of all men. It is works driven. Many of them believe Jesus will not return until the gospel has been preached to everyone on earth.

I tend to believe as you do that some (at least one posting on here for sure) views his/their salvation as an insurance policy. Some of the most ardent in proclaiming their salvation and the lordship and divinity of Jesus Christ have also displayed the most intolerance, contempt - even hatred - towards their political opponents. It is not the sort of witness that will ever draw a skeptic closer to Jesus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +715
    So, what is "the will of the Father" that must be done to enter the kingdom of heaven?
  20. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,788
    We are in a sinful, fallen state to begin with, so it's it's perfectly OK to make judgments about objective sin (recognize it) when you see (perceive) it, or are tempted by it.

In fact, we are called to not be deceived by any temptation to sin by commission or omission, and by the transforming of our minds by surrendering to Christ and through the teaching, leading, and presence of the Holy Spirit, to thus, recognize it and avoid it.

If you don't, you are just as likely to step in it - or continue stepping in it.