Play calling last 6 minutes of the game

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Vindibudd, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Vindibudd

Vindibudd Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +511
    Just got back home to Orlando from the game. Can someone explain to me what the hell I just saw? Never mind the taking 3 knees and PUNTING because apparently nobody on the staff understands MATH. Why can't somebody get it through their heads that calling low percentage run plays over and over with around half a quarter left just because you have a 2 score lead IS NOT SMART FOOTBALL? It seems to me like Muschamp has a real problem with playing to win the game. We're not talking about chucking a Hail Mary here with 10 seconds left and a 45 point lead. His "conservatism" almost bit us in the ass, and it is going to continue to be a problem when we start playing teams that know how to move the ball down the field.
  2. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +883
    I think the general consensus was that the play calling the last ten minutes or so was questionable at best.
  3. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I loved it. We did what was needed to win the game. We have the best D in the country and a back up QB make sure you win.
  4. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,372
    I have to agree because our secondary was vanishing before our eyes. We needed to be trying to get first downs.
  5. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +971
    When you turn it over 9 times in 8 quarters, odds are you're really concerned with that. Until we figure out why we're turning the ball over a LOT over the last 2 games, it's going to be hard to fault the coaches for being hyper conservative.

Also, Tennessee was dead in the water. They scored because of a pick 6 and 3 busted coverages (which we do need to shore up).
  6. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,372
    How would you be defending it now if we had lost the game because of it?
  7. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    If we lost it would be because our defense gave up a bunch of points in the 4th quarter and I would be pissed that they did that.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,496
    It was ugly, especially after three straight drives that worked and really didn't take that many risks.
  9. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    who cares?! were up big, our defense was lights out. i have no problem with us running down the clock and punting with 20 seconds left with a 14 pt lead. can you remind me the last time a team down 14 with 20 seconds came back and won? yeah you may have to go diggin pretty deep to find that one. you obviously just do not like muschamp and after a solid win with a backup qb and amazing defense, you find ways to come on here and be a debbie downer. get a life! go gators
    • Like Like x 2
  10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,359
    I thought the play calling was perfect and resulted in the desired outcomes. The coaches know exactly what the hell they are doing. They were running clock in order to lessen exposure of our thin defensive backfield. Posters in Swamp Gas lack often lack patience and think it's only about scoring.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. 619_Gator

619_Gator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +615
    This was smart football. Do you think David Shaw is a good football coach?
    I watched Stanford run the ball 50 times against Arizona State.
    They were up 14 and were pounding it in to 8 man fronts to close out the game late. It's what good football coaches do. Run clock.
    Or does David Shaw not know what he is doing?
    If Champ wasn't here would anyone here not take Shaw? Stanford's offense is way more conservative than ours.
  12. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Horseshit playcalling down the stretch. Anybody else but UT would have capitalized on the stupidity. Line 10 in the box because everyone knows we won't even run a play action pass. One that would easily get a much needed first down as our defense was a mash unit.

This coaching staff just does not have the killer instinct. We play not to lose which is never good.
  13. jaxgator1991

Ratings Received:
    +583
    foolish, you don't understand winning football. if you want points go watch big 12. we have the best D in the country. let the clock run down in 4th and get out when your 21/14 points
  14. 619_Gator

619_Gator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +615
    We should have thrown the ball late with our back up QB and risked a turnover.
    Football coaches have no clue what they are doing. Including the guy at Stanford.. Who many consider one of the best coaches in the country.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. jaxgator1991

Ratings Received:
    +583
    you are completely clueless about football. anyone with a half a brain knows that your take on this subject is absolutely idiotic and stupid
  16. 619_Gator

619_Gator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +615
    I was being sarcastic. See my post a above. The coaches did exactly what they should have done and what every other coach in the country would have done. We agree 100%.
    No reason to risk a turnover.
  17. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,186
    Damn I'm tired of this crap. Reference "Anybody else but UT would have capitalized on the stupidity". Holy shit, we were playing UT! Do you know who we were playing?

We ran the ball and won by 14. Throw and do other stuff that gets you and others off and we risk a game that we had won. I know you and others of your ilk think last year was just a fluke. It wasn't. You play percentages - Meyer did and Muschamp does. That's why they coach at premier div 1 programs.
  18. jaxgator1991

Ratings Received:
    +583
    sorry. 3 am here, long day tailgating... ya u get the picture. glad ur not stupid. cus im surprised how many people here are. go gators
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    benheb, you are wasting logic on those who care not for logic.

I know that some cannot grasp the concept of up by two touchdowns with seconds to play; the game is won if you don't do something crazy.

Either these folks just have to a congenital need to second guess the coaches, or they bet the spread. Maybe they will learn that Muschamp does not give a ratspatootie (I am on good behavior) about the spread. Bet the spread and Muschamp will break your heart. Look for 11 wins at the end of the year, and he will make you happy more often than not over the course of his career.

The Gators were walking wounded long before this game was over. They won anyway against an SEC opponent. I have seen Sainted coaches do worse against worse teams. Good job Coach.
  20. lizardface

lizardface Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    This is a thread for people who do not understand the game of football. Your philosophy of passing to gain more unnecessary points as opposed running and kneeling for a certain win is dumb. I wish there was a better word for it but there is not. You are wrong and this thread is an abomination. Let it never be spoken of again. May god have mercy on your soul.
    • Like Like x 1