Pipeline O' Dade

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by subtle_gator, Feb 8, 2014.

1. subtle_gator

subtle_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    Historically Dade has been one of the most talent rich counties not only in Fla but nationally and the Harris family and Booker T Washington are very influential in that area.

How does a successful starting QB career at UF for Treon impact our future with Dade county?
    IF it turns out like the Brissett situation and Treon transfers will that put a black eye on the pipeline?

We all agree the best man for the job but does Treon success at the helm have residual effects for UF's recruiting future?
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,859
    Let him compete, treat him fairly, be straight with him, and it will work out fine.

Aside from that, the way Roper uses two QBs (assuming he does what he did at Duke), I suspect Harris will get on the field this year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,933
    I'm sure the coaches will play the best QB at the time, and they will not be influenced by how it might look in recruiting. No coach worth their salt would ever do that.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. subtle_gator

subtle_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    It goes without saying that we, the coaches, and the players want the best guy for the job (i'm a little partial to Grier based on his strong commitment for over a year).

Now this thread may not be for the casual fan but those of you that understand the importance of the past-present-future relationship of the Dade pipeline should respond.

Would a successful Qb @ UF from Dade aid in this critically region, for example (and only example) Harris and family.
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +735
    Of course they'll put the best option they have on the field that gives us the best chance to win. Harris will get his shot, and he knows the deal.

I doubt both Grier and Harris remain on scholarship together for more than a couple of seasons, as they'll likely battle it out at some point for the starting spot, and it's very rare that the loser of a hotly-contested QB competition ever sticks around to sit on the bench. It'll will end up being a similar situation to what we had when we signed Brissett and Jeff; only Harris has the athletic ability to play and contribute at multiple positions, an option Brissett couldn't really give us. However, I doubt Harris would want to play a position other than QB if he's beaten out down the road.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +974
    I think that's a rather simplistic view of things. In reality, as we saw with Murphy, a lot of times, the difference between two athletes is minimal. No one is saying playing an obviously inferior quarterback. If Harris is talented and rots on the bench, what does that say about us? Most systems utilize the talent at hand and avoid the controversies that have plagued us for so long. These systems do so by rotating players or using certain QBs in certain situations. If you think about it, if we could keep Leak and Tebow both happy on the same roster, we should be able to play both Driskel and Harris.
  7. gator2641

gator2641 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +70
    Grier said he's OK with redshirt freshman year> I'd like to see Harris get some playing time in '14!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +907
    First off, I don't think we are talking Driskel and Harris but Grier and Harris. Secondly, it is always better to be able to establish ONE starting QB than go through the season juggling two. It's better for the team, it's better for the coaches and it's better for everyone involved. IF Harris does not end up as the starting QB, I doubt he "rots on the bench". He is way to talented an athlete to not end up on the field in some capacity.
  9. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,722
    I understand we're having an open competition at all positions, but there's no way Driskel - a red-shirt Junior, is going to be 3rd string QB behind two true freshman. It's just not happening.

EDIT: Oh hang, on, do you mean for back up? I might have got the wrong end of the stick - if so, apologies. I read your comment as defining the starter.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,500

Agree with your first paragraph, LG. Even with a new system, clearly JD has got to be considered the leader. Too many SEC reps, and SEC wins to ignore to put any other unproven person first.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +6,933
    I'd much rather get all the other position players out of Dade, but I understand your reason to keep the recruits happy down there.
  12. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +6,933
    It a simple question with a simple answer - do you, or do you not play the best player at any position. I'd love to keep a "pipeline" open to Dade county kids, but I'd much rather we get kids that know that if they're the best player they'll at least get a shot to play. Some people are thoroughly convinced that Murphy was the best player at QB last year, and that's fine. But the coaches didn't see it that way.

And two years ago they said the same thing about Brissett even though we went 11-2 with Driskel, and although I disagree, it's not up to me to decide who's the best player. This is why we have coaches doing the evaluation... This truly does make my "job" much more easy and "simplistic."
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +850
    I am sure that Harris has been told what his role is but wouldn't mind him redshirting this upcoming year and have some starting year(s).
  14. gatorinroswell

gatorinroswell Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    So if Grier reddshirts and Harris redsirts, who the heck is going to back up Driskell? Please don't say it......
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,859
    No way they both redshirt.

TBH, I'll be pleasantly surprised if one of them can redshirt.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,448
    I think it could depend on the defense we play that week dictates which qb gets more reps.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +953
    With our recent luck on injuries let's just assume all 3 will get an opportunity to play this year.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,448
    Let's just hope anyone on the team doesn't get mono again!
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1