Pictures

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8trGr8t, Aug 9, 2013.

1. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,395
    You are right. I forgot that private enterprises never like greenspace and always instantly pave it and that there is no money to be made on privating exactly the kind of environment that people go to national parks to enjoy. Also, I totally forgot how anybody even considered the idea at the time.
  2. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Yes and families taking vacations in the wilderness was really popular in TR's day and the great profits to be made would have won out over mining, trapping, and timber rights.

No doubt.

Are you doing a parody of deeply felt Libertarian beliefs, because that's what I'm doing. Just so we're on the same page.
  3. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,606
    It takes special talent to capture those images. Well done.

It takes something much less to turn this into a partisan bitchfest. Nice going.
  4. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,417
    for the bypass tunnels and for the dam terminal ends and abse there would be damage to the original rock structure. the rest of the miles and miles of valley should nat have been disturbed from what I have read. It would probably take decades to restore but it would be an interesting project, especially if they could get a sequoia forest started.
  5. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    The OP included his political belief system in the OP, which I then responded too briefly before then going onto praise his photos and express my envy for his trips. I was happy to leave it there. But I'm also happy to respond further if called upon by highlighting the incongruity of Libertarians taking advantage of - which they should as citizens - the preserved beauty of these lands which would not still exist in their almost pristine state without a rather massive - in scope if nothing else - federal program. I think a Libertarian could easily say "This is one of the areas I want the government involved in" without therefore signing on for the Clinton 2016 campaign or giving up their Party membership. It's a measure of the rigidity and deeply felt - as opposed to well thought out - beliefs of some that they can't accept this violation of purist doctrine. It reminds one of Marxist rigidity in an earlier, not so long ago day, when some had to see everything through that lens. Rather limiting vision I would think, unlike gr8t's beautiful photos.
  6. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,606
    Ok.
  7. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,395
    So private conservation for speculative recreational use is absurd, but government conservation against speculative development is genius. Logistical realities were the same for everyone.
  8. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +978
    I wonder if the high water mark on the granite has leeched into the rock. I had assumed the fertile soil would still be in the valley floor.
  9. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Despite your imaginative attempt at establishing equivalency between private endeavors and the system, the National Parks are a text book example of the superiority of government action in certain situations. Private enterprise is limited in scope and often imagination because of the need for timely profits to keep an enterprise afloat and particularly in this case the vast geographic areas involved. Additionally, to think that private enterprise wouldn't have gone right to mineral and timber is not as unbelievable as thinking that any attempts to profit off of tourists wouldn't involve wild west shows and bear baiting rather than long trails and primitive camp grounds. But, dream on. I'm sorry to have woken you, though I wonder about your addiction to a one shoe fits all solution to every problem. It doesn't fit, a result so obvious that I wonder how you don't see it. You can still think Libertarian ideas work in many situations without thinking they have to work everywhere.
  10. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,082
    Great pics, g8rgr8t! Thanks for posting.

Row, would rep you if I could. Terrific response.
  11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,417
    flickr link with others is below if anybody wanted to see more. still trying to create a best of collection so add to it when I get a chance. threw up a few more in the pub thread too

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85268984@N02/
    • Like Like x 1
  12. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,082
    Actually great is an understatement. Stunning is more like it. Very cool.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,417
    Hetch Hetchy with 200 - 300 feet of water

[​IMG]

Yosemite without the water

[​IMG]

lack of topsoil on the slopes and perches would seem to be the biggest challenge if Hetch Hetchy dam was removed and storage moved downstream
  14. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,647
    Question: On the pub thread you said that you could get better lenses for the camera you took these awesome pics with? Are you considering that option in the near future?
  15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,417
    thinking about getting better camera than the now 6 year old camera I have now. i said that lenses seem to be more important than camera so I kept the old camera and bought a couple of canon L series lenses past time I got some freelance enginnering work. now pinching/spending pennies enjoying travels with kids so more camera gear is far down priority list right now since it is just a hobby to preserve the memories for the family and not a profession.

note that some of these were taken with 10 year old tech and lower quality lenses. the nature makes the pictures, i was just lucky enough to be there to capture a few of them.
  16. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    Hard to beat that first good view of Yosemite, also partial to Bryce Canyon, both are breathtaking.
  17. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +978
    Amateur speculation here but i believe there should be top soil in the reservoir still. Reservoirs actually gather silt/minerals, etc. because water borne debris settles out of water when it slows. So long as they drain the reservoir slowly it should remain mostly intact.
  18. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,728
    If they are going to let the water out I would think doing it in a slow, controlled, manner would help reduce runoff from the soil underneath.
  19. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,586
    See? This is what happens when you post in Too Hot! You really should've kept this thread in the Pub :laugh:
  20. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,417
    you have to keep in touch with both sides of the family though, even if their is some trailer park in the genetic pool somewhere.