Phil Robertson

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by QGator2414, Dec 18, 2013.

1. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,001
    As an outsider of sorts, it just seems to me that something that humans did (gay sex) during biblical times and still do today, would still be an issue long into the future. Wasn't trying to be funny, just recognizing the rather enduring nature of gay sex throughout history. But to be frank, I was struck by the harshness of Romans 1. I'll check out the others too. Thanks!
  2. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,075
    Didn't mean any hostility, jdr, just was curious. I didn't know a whole lot about him either, have never even watched a full episode of the show. Just not my thing.

Also, did you know there's a "jdgator" also posting on here? I often see his posts without your Wiley Coyote handle and I'm always a little confused, his posts(no offense to him, if he reads this) seem to lack the succinctness of yours, however.
  3. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,603
    STupid and petty, is it even legal?

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/12/21/3098591/sheriff-retaliates-suspending-duck-dynasty-star/
  4. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,001
    I actually didn't think you did. Thanks all the same. I just thought you were questioning in debating kind of way. He's definitely got a pretty colorful background, something which actually endeared me more to him. I can see though in the context of the thread why it might look like I might have been trying to ham it in there :)

Yeah, I've seen the jdgator around. Some folks have gotten us confused--more than once I've been blamed for saying things I didn't say. I can get in enough trouble on my own, thanks lol.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  5. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +686
    The Parable of the 5 talents is about a Master who is planning to go on a long journey and before he departs dispenses talents (a sum, measure or weight of money) to his servants for their use while he is gone. It is a continuation of the theme preceding it in chapter 24 about being ready for the difficult times to come and the 10 virgins awaiting the bridegroom.

This story of the dispensation of talents (money) is a metaphorical teaching from Jesus about how he expects his disciples to utilize or invest the measure of faith and resources bestowed upon them until he returns. It's not about increasing wealth. It's about expanding the measure of faith each is allotted, letting their light shine rather than hiding their it under a basket. Matthew 5:14-16
  6. agigator

agigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    I agree the moral of the story isn't go and become rich like Bill Gates. The point I was making is that the Bible doesn't teach against wealth. It teaches against materialism and idolatry(letting money rule your heart). If wealth itself were inherently a problem then Jesus wouldn't have used it as a metaphor.
  7. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +1,603
    So what's the difference between liberals blasting Robertson and conservatives blasting the Dixie Chicks?
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  8. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +657
    http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/12/21/cracker-barrel-pulls-duck-dynasty-merchandise/

Cracker Barrel pulls 'Duck Dynasty' merchandise
    The full statement read:
    “Cracker Barrel’s mission is Pleasing People. We operate within the ideals of fairness, mutual respect and equal treatment of all people. These ideals are the core of our corporate culture. We continue to offer Duck Commander products in our stores. We removed selected products which we were concerned might offend some of our guests while we evaluate the situation. We continually evaluate the products we offer and will continue to do so.”

9. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +646
    walgreens had all of their duck dynasty merchandise in a big box half off yesterday at the register. lol.
  10. FlyingGatorII

FlyingGatorII Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +522
    Not sure what you mean here? If you meant the difference between liberals blasting Robertson and conservatives blasting Maines then there is no difference nor did I ever imply one. I don't have a problem with individuals or even groups refusing to financially support those they strongly disagree with either or voicing there opposition to those ndividuals. I have a problem with what A&E did in this instance which was punish an employee for expressing his belief outside of the work environment. That is something that Maines employers never did to her. Had they done that I would have felt the same.
  11. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,075

So they pull some merchandise, but actually keep other merchandise?
  12. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,631

In other words, they kept the Duck Dynasty pro-gay merchandise.

Wonder what that was ?
  13. FlyingGatorII

FlyingGatorII Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +522
    Meanwhile, the principled A&E will run Duck Dynasty marathons all week, prominently featuring Phil, to make as much money as they can off him before his suspension starts next season. Typical liberal hypocritical BS. (I know..that was a redundant statement.) He's either too offensive to be on their network or he isn't.
  14. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +1,603
    yeah, I screwed that up. liberals blasting Robertson, conservatives blasting Dixie Chicks. So we agree that individuals criticizing is the same in each instance, and the current claim of PC, thought police and everything else is bogus, considering conservatives did the same thing.
    As far as results, radio stations quit playing the Chicks after listeners demanded it. Lipton, which has sponsored the band, dropped them after conservatives complained and threatened a boycott.
  15. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,988
    I did find the decision by A&E to run a Duck Dynasty marathon puzzling. Did they make the scheduling decision before or after the suspension? If the answer is before what difference does it make if it is a rerun or a new show? If the answer is after the suspension then their motive is purely financial.
  16. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,191

I would think that was their motive all along.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979
    River. The difference between the two events has already been pointed out to you, several times. We get it. You disagree, but don't strut around here as if they were never pointed out.

In the Chicks event, the listeners made the choice. In this instance, the viewers are not given the chance to decide. The network made the decision. Your comparison would only be valid IF it was the record label who decided not to release any more Dixie Chicks music.

The two events are simply not the same.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +872
    they still have a full season coming up w/him. the two parties at large are going to make money off of this.
  19. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,631

So maybe it is all a mass marketing, ratings game, publicity stunt . . . by A&E ?
  20. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979

In which case, GLAAD was played like a well used... Ummm... What's that thing they put in their mouth and blow?

Flute?