Phil Robertson

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by QGator2414, Dec 18, 2013.

1. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +945
    Paul used the Greek word arsenokoites to exclude rapers of boys from God’s Kingdom.
    guess it comes down to the translater.
    And why not use Christs' teachings as my moral gide. I just think it's odd that all of his teachings against wealth which way outnumber the times homosexuality is even mentioned in the bible as a whole, that homosexuality stands out so as the bane of all that is rightious and good. is it because many can't look beyond the sex act and actually see people in love with each other. i'm sure God is just as disappointed by some guy/girl one night standing as he is with casual homosexual hookups
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  2. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    Sure, but you don't hear adulterers being linked to bestiality in the same way...well, that is unless they cheated on a spouse with fido.

In any case, reducing it down to its core elements, it's about sexual morality and the hang up some Christians have about it given their adherence to the Bible. Again, not judging, just an observation.
  3. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,372

Worth a read:

4. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,481
    That's all pretty consistent with what I have said I think. My only additional thoughts on this thread, I believe, have been: that those who have tried to somehow wrangle free speech into this, or whined about why there are consequences to saying unpopular things, are being silly; and that it would probably be more productive to move to an outlet whose financial interests align more directly with what he wants to say rather than to try to force A&E to ignore their own financial pressures.
  5. FlyingGatorII

FlyingGatorII Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +763
    I would argue that A&E did ignore their financial pressures by giving in to the perpetually outraged members and supporters of GLAAD. Losing the #1 rated show in the history of cable television will cost them millions more in the long run then had they not gone PC and placated GLAAD by suspending Phil. They should have been smart enough to see how Chik Fil A actually increased their business by not giving in to those pressures GLAAD tried to bring.
  6. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    i was raised on KJV but i was brought up in a very conservative southern baptist church. i now attend a non denominational church(calvary chapel of st. pete) and have moved on to a NIV(easier to study with)snd it does state what you put but again left off was verse 10 NIV...nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God
    yet everyone puts the main focus on homosexuality, i don't get it.
  7. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    and i really don't think this is going to hurt anyone but us suckers blowing this up. there is already a season ready to roll, phil will be in it they are not going to re-edit an entire season to take him out. the right will buy up all their merch to prove us lefties wrong and as response we will continue to bitch about it. "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."-Oscar Wilde
  8. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,339
    No doubt about that. If there's one thing conservative Christians have proven, it's that they're willing to fight the difficult fight. I have no doubt that they'll tune into Duck Dynasty on it's new channel, while eating a Chick Fil A sandwich, and reading Rush Revere and the Brave Pilgrims to their children. It's a sacrifice, but when something this important is at stake, you do what you've got to do.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. agigator

agigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +85
    Is that the word he used in Romans 1:27?

First off, there are no "teachings against wealth" at least not in the sense that you mean it. There are teachings against greed. There are teachings not to get too attached to the things of this world but wealth itself is not preached against. If wealth, itself, were the problem then the Mr. Five talents should've been the villain in Matthew 25:14-30 instead of Mr. One talent. In fact, notice that the rich even got richer and the poor got poorer. Isn't it funny how the redistributionists always forget about this parable when citing the Bible's stance on wealth.

Secondly, you have a slightly valid point WRT homosexuality. It's an emotionally charged issue. So, maybe it does get more attention than it deserves. Romans 1 points out that homosexuality, is sin in itself, but it is also a symptom of Godlessness. That is the real core issue that Christians should be focused on. If the people of this nation once again acknowledge God's sovereignty then homosexuality will pretty much cease to be an issue. On the flip side, of course, the gay rights lobby won't allow people to just ignore them so there are times when Christians have to address the issue directly.
  10. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    Not to be flippant, but if gay sex was an issue thousands of years ago and is still an issue today, my bet would be it isn't ever going to stop happening. But wow, that Romans 1 is some pretty brutal stuff. To wit:

11. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    I'm not a Bible scholar, yes i am liberal, i without a doubt believe in Jesus as my savior, he has worked miracles in my life that were unattainable on my own. but i just don't feel homosexuality is a sin. and i do lean towards the more liberal interpretations of Christs' teachings. and just like many of you my feel, if i'm wrong i'll answer to God. and I feel i'm ready to do that if it's his will to take me in my sleep tonight. sorry for the hijacking

Luke 1:52-53 (NIV)
    52 He has brought down rulers from their thrones
    but has lifted up the humble.
    53 He has filled the hungry with good things
    but has sent the rich away empty.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. jimgata

jimgata Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,358
    All the PC in the country is really getting tiresome. Are people so damn insecure with their beliefs and actions they have to react to everything said? If one is comfortable with what they are, it makes no difference what is said about their lifestyle. Nobody really gives a damn anyway, just fodder for the internet and talk shows.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. agigator

agigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +85
    Kind of depends on what you mean by issue. Yes, people have practiced homosexuality almost since the day sin entered the world. But it hasn't always been an issue in the sense that people debate it's rightness or wrongness.

As for Romans 1, that's the bad news. The good news is that God has provided salvation from those things. Romans 8:1, Luke 4:16-20 and, since Christmas is almost here, Luke 2:8-14.
  14. agigator

agigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +85
    I'm not a Bible "scholar" either. I've just read it a few times. In the book of Acts, it's noted on a couple of occasions that the Apostles were ordinary men without any special learning. God doesn't give us all of the answers on day 1. The important thing is to keep learning and growing in him. I believe that if you are truly seeking him you will probably come around on this issue, at some point. The wealth stuff not as important in my view.

Ah, but if you look at the next two verses Mary says,
    Abraham and Israel(Jacob) were both quite wealthy by standards of their time.
  15. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    no need for "quotes" my not being a scholar was not meant as a jab at you. just that i only know what i was raised to believe by my parents and how it's evolved into what i believe now.
  16. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Christians clearly don't only adhere to the words Jesus spoke, you do know that, right? I'm assuming you do and you're just being facetious .
  17. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    I didn't say anything about it being against any rules. All I did was ask what exactly about it, within the context of this thread, makes it so interesting? That someone who once had a checkered past now stands for what he believes is righteous, er..?
  18. agigator

agigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +85
    I didn't take it as a jab. The idea I was trying to communicate is that title "biblical scholar" doesn't carry a whole lot of weight with me, though I don't completely disregard it. Acts 17:11
  19. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,372

Yeah, who does Phil Robertson think he is anyway ? A redeemed sinner or something ? The nerve.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    Fair enough.

No, just interesting in its own right. Didn't know anything about the guy before this thread.