PG CHRIS CHIOZZA is a Gator

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GATORAZ, May 14, 2013.

1. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,853
    %^#%*&%$^&$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,578

Is Brandone expected to accept Louisville's offer?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,161
    great point
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,853
    Pitino recently hired Mike Balado, a South Florida guy with great DR connections (http://www.gocards.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/042613aab.html). We've been on Francis the longest and he seems to like us best, but for whatever reason ACD isn't on the same page with us and the fact that Louisville has someone like Balado puts us in a tight spot. Not out of it by any stretch, but not the slam dunk we were a month or two ago.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,527
    Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247 6m
    #Florida pg commit Chris Chiozza strongly reminds me of former Miami pg Shane Larkin. #top100camp
  6. interrygator

interrygator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +210
    Why does Billy seemingly always go after undersized point guards? Aren't theses guys a liability defensively? Not a basketball expert, so just asking for those who are students of the game.
  7. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,527
    Chris Chiozza

The small but athletic point guard who is committed to Florida was tremendous during the first session. He finishes against contact with either hand and is a good shooter from deep off the dribble. Chiozza also knows how to find shooters and can be a pest defensively. His game strongly reminds me of former Miami point guard Shane Larki
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2013
  8. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,865
    Not an "expert" but I will try to give my spin on things. You need to score 1 point more than your opponent on any given night. That is all.

If your PG gets you to that place better than a tall player with turnover issues or can't get the offense set up properly or that the other team doesn't respect their scoring skills then you go with the player that gets you to your goals easier.

But my take has been that Billy has been looking for...Billy for a LONG time and that player - small in stature but can shoot the 3 and is poised - hasn't shown up yet (Taurean Green excluded, sort of). I hope he realizes that those guys aren't out there just to pick up whenever he wants and he decides to get some size at PG, just for the D. JMHO
  9. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,853
    I think the premise is wrong. He doesn't really go after small point guards; he goes after kids who can run our system. Some of those have been bigger (6'3" Brett Nelson, 6'6" Calathes), some have been small like Chiozza, others have been combo guards who either played with or were recruited to play alongside bigger point guards who could defend the two yet run the offense while the smaller guy played off the ball (that was the case with Dupay, Lucas, and Walker next to Hamilton and Calathes). Lots of different variables.

At this level of recruiting, however, no one really recruits undersized point guards: they recruit the best players who fit the system and who are interested in playing at the school. Now, if you were to invert the question and ask why undersized point guards might want to play at Florida, then I think the reason is because Donovan runs a system takes advantage of their skill set better. He gives them freedom to get out in transition where they can use their quickness to get easier scorers or to use their skills to contribute in a variety of ways offensively in the half-court, whether through dribble penetration, shooting off screens or in spot up situations, creating for others in the lane, etc., rather than running the ball through iso plays on the wing or through post ups on the blocks. In the latter cases, the point guard makes a pass and gets out of the way, which kills a small point guard because he can't hit the offensive glass or shoot over longer closing defenders or score in the paint off backdoor cuts and the like. But our system puts the ball in his hands, where most skilled undersized point guards tend to make their money.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +277
    Chiozza might be so good that the only thing that will keep him at UF for 4 years is his diminutive stature. Here's to hoping that Chiozza doesn't have a growth spurt.
  11. gatorkarl

gatorkarl VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +40
    Great post rserina, that was as good of an answer as I have ever read on any thread.
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,853
    Thanks, Karl. I appreciate it.
  13. interrygator

interrygator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +210
    Thanks rserina for the thoughtful reply. But what about defense?
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,853
    I would say there is more to defense that size. Some critics of Walker used the defensive improvement of last year's team as an opportunity to put the blame on him and his size for the defensive problems of the previous years. That was unfair, in my opinion. For one thing, Wilbekin is a phenomenal perimeter defender, probably our best since Brewer, so he would have been an improvement over any number of point guards on that front, including taller guys like Calathes and Nelson. Part of Walker's problem was size, but I would attribute it far more to his lack of endurance (hard for a guy like him who was fairly stout and short-legged) and all the demands we put on him offensively. He was our best shooter all three seasons he started at the one and was also expected to get the ball up the court, initiate our offense, and execute our high ball screen at the end of the clock. To do all of that, plus defend well given his physical limitations was a reach.

I would compare Chiozza far more to Walter Hodge defensively. Yes, Hodge was very undersized for his position (about an inch taller than Chiozza, but a full-time two guard), yet no one ever complained about his defense. He was competitive, strong, and aggressive. That's what I would expect out of Chiozza. He is quicker than Walker, stronger than Lucas (even at this stage), and more natural of a point guard than either, but he hopefully will have the benefit of Carter and Francis (fingers crossed) for a year or two to help him shoulder the offensive load in the backcourt.
  15. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +388
    Not to expand on or disagree with anything rserina has said, because he's pretty much nailed it, but perhaps just to put this simply:

You can't get everything in every recruit. It would be nice to get a 6-5 point guard with elite athleticism, vision and work ethic. But there aren't a lot of those guys out there. And they like to go to Kentucky.

So once the near-perfect guys are gone, you start working on the really good players with flaws. And you prioritize. I'm sure there are some 6'1, 6'2 PGs out there who would love a UF offer. But they don't bring Chiozza's speed, athleticism, shooting ability and passing skills.

And then you have to decide what's more important to you as a coach and as a team. Considering that we ended up going to two straight Elite Eights, three straight tournaments and won a conference title with a point guard who is smaller as a 23-year-old than Chiozza is as a high school senior, it seems difficult to argue that a smaller point guard is death to a team's chances.
  16. interrygator

interrygator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +210
    Thanks for the input
  17. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,161
    This.
  18. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,527
  19. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +172
    LOVE the way Chris passes the ball. Effortlessly, on target. And he has a little bit of flair...a little bit of Jason Williams before he became White Chocolate.

I will say he looks like a 15 year old playing with grown men out thereon the court. But wow can he play
  20. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,853
    Those NBAPA highlights are far by far his best yet. He isn't just playing on the travel circuit, but against invitees only. The kid is playing with unbelievable confidence right now: baseball passes, behind the back passes, floaters in the lane, catch and shoot threes, pull up threes, just about everything you could want from a point guard.