PG CHRIS CHIOZZA is a Gator

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GATORAZ, May 14, 2013.

1. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +355
    Please do Hall. If I am wrong I will just stick with baseball although I don't know much about that either.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
    I certainly hope NOT. This board needs more variety in opinions not less. I have been write plenty of times, but wrong from time to time about various issues.

For example though I had not message board to post it on, I had a similar view of DuPay wondering how he would ever play meaningful minutes, but I was wrong. On the other hand, I knew as soon as Hill committed that Ogbueze was probably in a bad spot for him.
  3. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    Well, you're dead wrong. I mean, it's fair to have some reservations about him due to his size, but to insist that he's a "PE star" and that he'll play in "junior college if at all" isn't fair whatsoever.

For the record, he had plenty of offers. Just about the whole SEC had offered. Memphis offered. Butler as well. We were the first big time program to offer him, but offers from UConn and Ohio State followed shortly, and Kansas probably would have offered eventually had we not closed the deal.

Size isn't everything. We were more than fine with Erving Walker at the point, and we'll be more than fine with Chiozza (who is a few inches taller than Walker anyways).

Chiozza is a great talent. There's a reason that scouts and recruiting services (people who actually are paid to evaluate talent) have been raving about him all spring. He has great court vision (he's the definition of a true point guard), is quick enough to penetrate, can shoot from all levels, and is a feisty and competitive defender.

This isn't a matter of wearing O&B glasses or being a "Pom-Pom" kind of person. You're just about the only one who questions his ability to play at the D1 level. I wouldn't risk my posting eligibility on a position that no one else holds if I were you.
  4. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,876
    Just messing with you. (-:
  5. wingtee

Ratings Received:
    +355

I know Hall ... have a great day. I just want to WIN ... BIG !!!
  6. g8rboy

g8rboy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +108
    so, taller than erving walker. better overall offensive game than walker. maybe the same defensive issues as walker. but not expected to get any meaningful minutes? hmmmm
  7. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    Can we assume that you predicted that Bobby Hurley would never be better than a college intramural player?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. wingtee

Ratings Received:
    +355
    Thanks Insti.. I am a guy that sees the glass half empty. I love the Gators but because of my age I am very cautious from past scars. I just don't think everything is all wonderful in the world of Gator athletics. I do make controversial comments that rub folks wrong but I am just speaking what I think, which is what we should do. If people knew me they would know I am all Gators .

Yes I am a bit of an azz... But fellow Gators I am your azz.. Deal with it.:devil:
  9. wingtee

Ratings Received:
    +355
    Walker played 4 years at a high level D 1 .. don't try and compare.
  10. wingtee

Ratings Received:
    +355
    Hurley played for probably the best HS coach in America , and was on the best team in America. No, he was destined to be great. Your answer is no...Don't be silly TJ
  11. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +369
    Yes, but you only know NOW that Walker played four years at a high-level D1 school. The point is that, using the logic you've displayed in this thread, there's no way Walker could have done that. No one would have predicted that before Walker started school. Again, using your logic.
  12. wingtee

Ratings Received:
    +355
    Thats is very true Maddux.. fair enough
  13. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    Hurley and Chiozza were both highly skilled scrawny little high school kids. Chiozza's skill set should translate well at the college level, and he likely will get a lot stronger after he gets to college. Chiozza's passing ability looks quite similar to former Gator, Jason Williams. How could you not look forward to that?
  14. wingtee

Ratings Received:
    +355
    I don't know. Like I said I hope I am dead wrong. You know as well as I it really takes "great " guards to get past the next level that we have been. Nothing wrong with 3 elite 8"s but I know you were looking for more this year.
  15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +126
    I still haven't seen any actual reasons for saying he can't succeed at UF.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,617
    Donovan's time at Florida has shown the exact opposite: none of the guards who ever started or were even in the rotation during our three deepest runs in the NCAAs (2000, 2006, 2007) sniffed the NBA: Hamilton, Nelson, Dupay, Weeks, Green, Humphrey, and Hodge. None of them. As a matter of fact, the only McD AAs in that group were Nelson and Dupay, and neither of them scored in double digits for that 2000 team. Now, talk bigs and you can see why those teams were so good.

In my opinion, it has less to do with a guard's ceiling than it does with how he fits in our system, especially at the one, which either maximizes a kid's skill or exposes him. So the question I would ask is not whether Chiozza is a pro prospect or comparable to Kasey Hill, but rather if he can execute our offense: Can he run our high ball screen action, especially late in the clock? Can he square his shoulders and hit that jumper when defenses don't hedge or switch on our screens? Can he penetrate off the bounce or pass to the slipping screener when they do? Can he push the ball in transition and hit pull-up or spot-up threes when the lane is defended? Can he defend his spot well enough to let us switch our schemes on that end of the court?

I don't begrudge you questioning whether Chiozza can do those things, but it seems a little silly to suggest he can't based upon those videos, all recorded at the same camps which led numerous collegiate coaches to offer him and tons of recruiting analysts to rave about him and promise a bump into the top-50 (at minimum).
    • Like Like x 1
  17. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    Excellent analysis.
  18. wingtee

Ratings Received:
    +355
    Good point on the way guards fit into the system. UF requires distribution and operating the offense. I would love to have a big point who will be that go to guy. We severely lacked this yet participated in 3 elites.i also know we have also had guards who played out of the system and got us in trouble. Maybe Calethes, Williams even Walker . Looking for a go to guy. Can Hill do it.?
  19. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,617
    Again, we have been more than successful without an elite point guard. At times, a guy like that can hurt us because the ball stops in his hands. For our offense, I would rather have a balanced group of five with diverse skills than, say, a couple of elite players (not that you can't have both, mind you).

If Chiozza needs to dominate the ball in order to be effective, then he will have problems. If he can get everyone else involved and still hit his shots when the defense and circumstance dictate, he will be more then fine.

To your question, it remains to be seen with Hill. The biggest concern I've had about him (and Wilbekin) is their ability to hit the three of that high ball screen because it is--in my opinion--the single most effective shot in our system. Do that and everything else opens up. We couldn't last year. That's why seeing Hill hit a smooth three off that same ball screen in the McD game made me raise an eyebrow. So did the recent Sun story about how hard Hill has worked on his shooting lately.
  20. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,279