PG CHRIS CHIOZZA is a Gator

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GATORAZ, May 14, 2013.

1. G8tr69

G8tr69 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    Welcome aboard Chris! :yes:
  2. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +329
    He can dunk.
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,691
    Just some gout and sciatica. Oh, and cataracts.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +273
    He'd be 6' 3" in Tallahassee....
    • Like Like x 1
  5. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Quicker than a charging alligator!

More elusive than a streaking pronghorn!

Able to leap tall newspapers in a single bound!

It's not a bird, it's not a plane, it's a Gator Point Guard.

May he have a good experience living in Gainesville.
  6. MJGator8104

MJGator8104 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    Welcome to Gator Country, Chris!
  7. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +376
    Got some concerns here but in Billy I trust. Please tell me what this kid does to get you so excited.?. I'm open for being educated.i thought this was a middle school game.
  8. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,290
    Pass the basketball like a pg should. Will be ranked as one of the top 50 players in the 2014 class soon.
  9. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +376
  10. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,691
    The kid has been tearing it up on the travel circuit. Rave reviews from every tourney. Quick off the bounce, pushes the ball in transition, passes unselfishly, can score at three levels (perimeter, mid range, and paint, though obviously the latter two will need a ton of work against high major size).
  11. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,081
    Got to admit we have had some good news as of lately. Great to see Chris commit to the Gators.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. don23lucia

don23lucia Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    From a hotbed for basketball recruiting, Chris Chiozza says that going public with the decision felt great and helped take a load off of his shoulders.
    “It felt good to just go ahead and let everyone know where I was playing,” Chiozza said. “I had great support from friends, family, and teammate. I was the first one from my school to do it, so I was a little nervous, but it went well.”

Gator assistant John Pelphrey was the point man on Chiozza’s recruitment and was ecstatic when Chiozza called to give him and head coach Billy Donovan the news.

“I called them last Friday,” he said. “I told Coach Pelphrey I was ready to be a Gator. Then I talked to Coach Donovan. They were definitely excited. They felt like they just got the best point guard in the nation and were happy to finally get someone out of Memphis and they told me that I was a perfect fit for everything.”

“I chose Florida because I really have a good relationship with Coach Pelphrey and Coach Donovan. They also have a great history of using guards and them doing well. ,p> “Pelphrey was huge in my recruitment. He was the first coach to contact me at Florida. He would use different ways to contact me every day and we built a great relationship. It helped a lot with the decision because I was comfortable with him and talked to him like a friend.”

Donovan also spelled it out for him. The Gators winningest coach in school history specializes in developing back court players and that was a big point of interest for Chiozza.

“He told me about how he doesn’t work as much with the big men, and more so with the guards,” Chiozza said. “He is always around the guards at practice and I am looking forward to that.”

As for his game, he said the staff never relayed to him who he plays the game like, but he says most people compare his game to star Missouri point guard Phil Pressey.

“The thing I have heard from most people is Phil Pressey,” he said. “It is about the size and the playing style. We are both fast and can do on the floor what we want to.”

Chiozza says he’s excited about the roster he is about to be a part of.

“The talent they have is a big part of it,” he said. “Knowing I can come in with another elite guard or two, depending on who is there. Their big guys are big and also athletic. The way they play as athletes makes it a lot easier doing the fast pace and getting up and down the floor.”

Chiozza is also known as one of the more likable players on the AAU tour and in high school basketball in general. He runs in high circles with some elite players and says he is ready to tackle the job of trying to bring some of those others into the fold as well. He mentioned three big time power forwards.

“Definitely,” he replied when asked if he was planning on helping recruit others to play at Florida with him. “I am trying to get two or three of my old teammates if they want to come. Leron Black and Riley Norris, I am also pretty good friends with Kevon Looney.”

This is the type of player that gravitates to Chiozza because of his playing style, of which he has a message for Gator fans.

“They should be ready for the show I am going to try and put on,” he said.
  13. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,453
    I, for one, am more than ready for the show!!! Welcome aboard young man! :yes:

Looks like he has that natural gift for seeing the passing angles (and delivering) ala Nash, Stockton, et al.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +268
    Does he remind anyone of the Baylor PG projected to go in the first round? Simalar size, quickness, shooting from outside-not so sure.
  15. gatordee

gatordee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,465
    Welcome aboard and thrilled that he will be in O&B!
    • Like Like x 1
  16. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,290
    http://247sports.com/Article/Under-Armour-Chris-Chiozza-Myles-Turner-Jared-Nickens-More-132161

DALLAS, Texas- His recruitment might be over but future Florida point guard Chris Chiozza isn't finished moving up the rankings.

Chris Chiozza is a dynamic playmaker.

After making a strong impression on 247Sports last summer on the 16-Under circuit, Chiozza snagged a four-star ranking. He is currently ranked No. 63 by 247Sports and has a No. 101 ranking in the 247Composite.

His game has only improved since last summer, and he has drawn rave reviews this spring. Last night at the Under Armour Invitational, Chiozza was the most impressive player of the night.

With a unique ability to play efficiently while playing with tremendous speed, Chiozza has the athleticism and body control to score around the rim at only 5-10. He also makes shots from behind the arc and in the midrange.

His ball handling is top notch, and he knows how to find teammates as well.

The only question about his game is his lack of size and how that will play out on the defensive end.

One thing for sure is that Team Thad needed Chiozza on the court last night. When he fouled out of the game on some controversial calls, the Las Vegas Prospects took over the game with an amazing 18-0 run to finish the game.

The Las Vegas Prospects, who play strong team ball, picked up a ringer free agent prospect in BYU commitment T.J. Haws, but one prospect who continues to impress for the Prospects is Diontae Jones. The 6-6 left hander slashes to the basket, defends, rebounds and serves as a secondary ball handler. He did a good job defending Leron Black and pulled down numerous rebounds in the game.

Wyoming and Santa Barbara recently offered, and he listed interest from Colrado State, Weber State, West Virginia, Texas A&M, Eastern Washington and Pepperdine.
  17. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,691
    I simply do not understand some of the hand wringing I've seen on various boards about Chiozza's height (other than it just being residual Erving Walker hate). If you compare the different sites, he is listed on average as three inches taller than Walker, an inch taller than Lucas (but 20 pounds heavier), and an inch shorter than Hodge. And Hodge played the two. Given this kid's handle, vision, quick hands, athleticism, unselfishness, and competitiveness, I can't imagine his size be a limitation at the collegiate level unless he faces an elite point guard with great size and strength, maybe a Lyle or Mudiay or maybe Matthews in then 2015 class. I don't see anyone like Harrison on the horizon for the next couple of years.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,290
    This might sound bad but I actually like the fact he is short. It means he wont be going to the nba anytime soon and we have an elite player for 4 years
    • Like Like x 1
  19. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +213
    I've thought about that too but never mentioned it.
  20. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +373
    Yeah. I mean, in an ideal world you'd get the really quick, athletic point guards with NBA level height and length. But there aren't a lot of 6'3-6'5 high school point guards running around the country, and the ones who exist all want to play for Kentucky, apparently. So when the great isn't available you happily settle for the "really good," and Chiozza apparently meets that standard.