Peter King calls Ted Cruz a fraud

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by leogator, Sep 20, 2013.

1. AndyGator

AndyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +134
    By the way, I am not saying Reagan was not a good president. I am just curious why Republicans consider him to be a true conservative, considering his irresponsible fiscal policies.
  2. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Bull crap. Total bull crap. You know as much about Reagan as I do about Wendel Wilkie. Nothing.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,492
    Sounds like you have your mind made up about Reagan, and you're not going to let little things like what he actually did interfere with that opinion.
  4. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,088
    I voted for RR twice and still think of him as a good POTUS. I don't, however, see him as a true fiscal conservative.
  5. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Sounds to me like you are a life long liberal democrat who could not stand the fact that uber libs like Carter and Obama were/are such absolute train wrecks so you choose to tear down the best President/leader since WW 2.
  6. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,492
    I'm not criticizing, and the thread isn't about Carter or Obama. Why don't you try to explain why Reagan was a fiscal conservative considering that he greatly increased spending, the deficit and federal workforce while never once offering a balanced budget?
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    Rep.
  8. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +494
    Voted for Reagan three times, and he would now be called a Rino.

He never cut off his own hand to spite his elbow like this group does. Compromise and getting the other side to go along, was one of the things he did best.

Right now it is another round of conservative hold my breath until we get our way or we shut down the government.

Well shutting down costs a lot of money and kills the economy. It is a known cost to this nation, yet it is being used to fight a perhaps cost down the road which won't happen with the D's in power. Until the R's get the voting numbers to change things, stop hurting the damn economy... even the talk of doing it stops planning and has a direct economic cost to this nation.

Dumb as rocks is not the Reagan way.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Nobody has any intention of shutting down the government. The house votes on the budget. That budget will not pass the Senate. The Senate will pass it's own budget, which will be sent back to the House. They will then iron out a compromise. My guess, is the compromise will include a delay of funding for the individual mandate. Too many exemptions have been granted, too many delays have been granted. It is a train wreck therefor the compromise is to delay for one year.
  10. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +494
    During one of these past paid for tv events, private projects that we needed badly, could not get the gov to cosign the loan which all banks have to have before they will loan out the big bucks.

So a lot of money went away and projects never got done. Private money went back to Spain in one instance.

Even the talk is dumb as hell and bad for business over something that won't be accomplished. Stupid isn't a strong enough word for it...

Major cities are already spending money getting prepared for the possible shut down. Always great to waste money.
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    Yeah he spent 1 trillion dollars in debt and we went from a 5 trillion dollar economy to a 7.8 trillion dollar economy. Plus his policies set the stage for the U.S. to get to a 15 trillion dollar GDP.

I'll bet Obama has a net zero with inflation added to the GDP in five wasted years that he's been killing our country's economy. And with Europe in complete turmoil we should be adding millions of jobs and we should have increased our GDP substantially with a booming economy. But Obama's no economist, he's a community extortionist without a clue about job creation.
  12. AndyGator

Ratings Received:
    +134
    Ah yes. Debt does not matter. Spoken like a "true conservative". At least some of you were honest in admitting that Reagan was no true conservative.

http://zfacts.com/node/384

I have never been to this website before so I have no idea how accurate or nonpartisan it might be. But here is a different take on your assertions:

GDP is Gross Domestic Product — the value of everything "made in America" from pizza to the Blue Angels' air shows. So this is the best measure of how rich the country is just in terms of the economy.
    Now here's the case for comparing national debt to national GDP:
    It's the standard approach
    Originally I got most of the numbers right off Bush's White-House web site — pre-calculated.
    You can get them from any OMB budget or any Economic Report of the President.
    Both debt and GDP are measured in unadjusted dollars.
    When you divide, the dollars cancel out, so inflation has no effect, and cannot distort the answer.
    It's sheer lunacy to say $997 billion debt in 1980 was far bigger than the $269 billion debt in 1946, because in 1981 the economy was 13 times bigger when measured in dollars.
    What matters is how big your debt is compared with your income. A 12-year old with a $1000 debt is in deep trouble, but a 30-year old with a $200,000 mortgage and a $600,000 a year job is in no trouble at all. When Reagan said the 1981 debt was "out of control" at 31% of GDP, it was like saying someone with a $200k mortgage making $600,000 a year has an out-of-control debt. It was just plain nuts. Yet the press never figured this out, so he got away with it.
    In reality, Reagan started with the lowest debt (compared to our ability to pay) at any time in the last 50 years. And even in 1946, when the debt was at 121% of GDP, the country was in no trouble at all.

Here is a link to the graph:

http://zfacts.com/p/318.html
  13. ColoGator

ColoGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Lol!!!!! You've never been to zfacts before?! It is a liberal biased site. My progressive friends constantly refer to this site.

I don't know how old you are...I don't know if you are old enough to remember or have experienced how bad this country was economically in the mid 70's through 1981. I know this won't be popular with a lot of people on Too Hot, but we were in far worse shape in the late 70's than we were in 2008. Interest rates, out of control....unemployment and energy cost, out of control. Regan's policies turned our country around and we experienced a multi decade period of growth. The Bush clan to me are Democrat light, they never saw a bill they didn't like.
  14. AndyGator

Ratings Received:
    +134
    ^^^ Yes, I was around. What I keep hearing is that "true conservatives" are for fiscal responsibility - unless it's Reagan.

So that was my question. I kept hearing the phrase "there has not been a true conservative since Reagan". So "true conservative" here really means social conservative.
  15. AndyGator

Ratings Received:
    +134
    By the way, it seemed to me that Bush 1 mostly stayed with Reagan economic policies. Do you disagree with that?
  16. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +290

I believe the congress has figured out that debt really doesn't matter. Why else would we have 16 T worth of debt and counting. Seriously, why worry when you can just print and 'borrow' all the money you need.
  17. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,561
    Required reading for ColoGator: http://mises.org/daily/1544

(also it's from a libertarian site, not a liberal site)