Perspective

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by G8trGr8t, Sep 3, 2013.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,829
    co-worker - 51, wife, kids in 6 and 9 grade, dropped dead of heart attack at gas pump today at lunch. i'm in shock. second 51 year old associate of mine dropped dead of heart attack in less than 3 months. my co-worker had lost almost 100 lbs over the last 18 months, weight had been stable the last 6 months, and was eating healthy and exercising.

for the dad's out there, what support systems would you have in place to provide a male presence in your kid's life in such a tragic situation? I have none so I am feeling a little upset that I have no such plan in place with the men that I know and respect that are somehow involved in our lives.

I look at the pictures of my kids and wonder how/what I can do better? Going to go home now and hug them a little tighter. then head for the gym. keep things in perspective and take care of your health people. do it for those that love you and depend on you, please.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,945
    Sorry to hear. Prayers for all.
  3. alphaomegator

alphaomegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,728
    Sorry, very tragic..Keep the faith...your advice is well taken..
  4. gatorjjh

gatorjjh BS Jm, UF Class of '69 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,672
    tragic situations like those that have happened in your life recently are hard to reconcile but they can have a positive impact if they make you think about your own life, as you clearly have AND if they cause you to act.
    If I were in your situations with youngsters in my home and wanted to look for potential positive role models I would look at structures that may or may not exist currently in your family life: Church youth groups, Sports & activity leagues/associations, Interest driven organizations that coincide with your kids interests, Scouts. All of these provided me with positive role models as a kid and would be the places I would look if I was in your shoes. Just some random thoughts to consider.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +855
    Terrible situation for that family. My dad died when I was 14 and it's impact affects me to this day. My thoughts and prayers to them.
  6. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,205
    Sorry to read about your co-workers. Just goes to show how life is so precious and how fast it can come to an end. I thank GOD daily for my family and health and for having the gift of life.

jjh has some good suggestions above whom I would rep but I'm shooting blanks again.

Someone please rep him for me.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gatorjjh

Ratings Received:
    +9,672
    thanks for the thought :) no need for the rep though just keep posting more Pictures of Alba, Berry, Zeta Jones, Lima and Mendes

:yes:
  8. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +836
    Quite often it takes events like this for people to evaluate their lives and value system. It always seems to bring people together at least in the short term. Unfortunately , I have attended too many services in the past yr. Most recently a 53 yr old and a 99 yr old.

As for role models for kids, the obvious ones are family, friends, church groups,sports coaches, teachers, etc. At least those are the ones that helped me along when me dad passed away when i was 2. Take heart, most kids are more resilient than parents think.

You can always set up contingencies thru a will, something I've always talked about but never done.
  9. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,829
    thanks. I know several other fathers that generally reflect the values we do through kids sports teams, work relationships, professional orhanizations, fishing, etc but have just never really discussed forming a pact with any of them in the event that something ever happened to one of us. With families being so spread out these days, they are not always a practical solution. I did 20 miles on the bike and then took the dog for a 3 mile walk this pm. got to get my blood sugar down. got a lot of things to be thankful for and more to look forward to.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. gatorjjh

Ratings Received:
    +9,672
    doing well, so smart to be proactive, this could be a good time to talk to the Dads you mentioned- they may not have had their wake up call yet
  11. mh2os

mh2os VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,989
    Sobering reality check when something like this happens to one close to you. The best reaction is one of introspection; to see what you have and truly value, and what one might need to change. God bless the family of your co-worker.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Swamplizard

Swamplizard VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    Exercising and dieting aren't enough trust me go to the Doctor regularly get your yearly physical have the work ups done to test for blockage, high cholesterol, high blood sugar and so on all these tests seem like a waste of time but trust me they aren't I thought I was doing good 6 years ago didn't know I had a hyper active thyroid suffered a thyroid storm while driving luckily I was near a hospital and spent the next 32 days recuperating if I would have not been within 2 miles of a hospital I would have left a Wife and 3 Children.

My friend who is a triathlete and in the best shape of anyone I know suffered a massive heart attack on the treadmill during a mild workout because he never went to the doctor not only did he have the heart attack but head injuries as well from the fall he would have left a Wife and 4 Children behind all because he thought he was in great shape

So go get those physicals and blood work regularly and keep yourself safe
    • Like Like x 1
  13. gatorjjh

Ratings Received:
    +9,672
    good advice