Perspective on Offense vs Kentucky

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by KrakowGator, Sep 30, 2013.

1. KrakowGator

KrakowGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    While I think that most agree the offense in the first half looked good and we certainly took the foot off the gas in the second, I was impressed when I look back and saw the Louisville only scored 27 on UK.

UL has been scoring 70+ this year (of course against weak competition) but we know first hand from the beat down we took last year that they have a very good offensive.

To think that we scored 3 less points against UK that than the UL offense which many rank as on of the top in country gives me a good feeling that we are moving in the right direction.

I for one think that we could have scored more if we kept with the same first half offensive, but we did run it well against 8-9 man fronts and kept a fair good UK offensive on the sideline.

I was as disappointed as most watching the second half that we backed off so much but in hindsight I think given the comparison to UL I think we should only be encouraged at this point.
  2. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +484
    Muschamp is a Saban disciple. If your team isn't good enough to stop a simple handoff, Saban will do it all game long. Muschamp is no different. Those second half handoffs were all going for 4 yards a pop. If they won't stop it, it's not our job to quit running it.
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,705
    We had the ball three times in the second half... the pick, the FG, and the victory formation, totaling over 19 minutes.

UK opened the second half with the ball and went three and out. Effectively, the game was over right there because the offense only let UK touch the ball twice more.

I know that's not an offensive show that most would want to see, but outside of the turn over, that's very effective offense with a comfortable lead.

Also, three long scoring drives for TDs and 253 yards of offense in the first half shows that this team can move and score the ball.

When is the last time we had three long scoring drives in one half?
  4. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    We ran the ball down their throats averaging 4.5 yards per carry in the 2nd half.

We never punted once.

The INT was in FG range.
  5. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    I think there is a little more involved than Muschamp being a Saban disciple.

When Muschamp arrived at UF, the previous year was one of the worst performing O's in recent memory.. Addazio tried his best, however the O was basically dysfunctional. We couldn't run the ball, and JBIV was fragile behind our O Line. JBIV might have been successful if initially he a real solid O Line, but things went south very quickly.

Muschamp's first year at UF, JBIV goes down and we have 2 true freshman backing him up, plus our 2 senior rb's were scatbacks, and our OLine was very porous.

Last year we spent time trying to get tougher, learning to run the ball with power, and going to JD who was basically a raw QB.

What I am getting to is there was nothing in our O the past couple of years, if I was coach, that would inspire any sort of confidence. If Muschamp has a proclivity to be conservative and run the ball, why would he have any reason to change that if he had seen how poorly our O was performing.

I maintain that as TM grows and progresses, Boom will let the reins out a little at a time, and I expect our O next year to continue to improve.

I think it's a slight bit more than Boom being just conservative.
  6. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +505
    You also want to protect your only competent QB as much as possible, so that's why he was handing off the ball so much with a big lead in the second half.
  7. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    You also need to get your very inexperienced QB some much needed game reps prior to our schedule really heating up.
  8. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Also Demarcus Robinson exploded for one reception...so there's that.
  9. swampbabe

swampbabe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +440
    His own defense is the toughest one he'll face :ninja:
  10. HayGator

HayGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    And by a long shot. A ton of D talent left the SEC for the NFL last year and it's showing on a lot of the teams. Just bad D being played by these "top" SEC teams.
  11. ArtDeco

Ratings Received:
    +484
    End of story. Some posters may wish to believe there's "more to it" or it's "more complicated" than that, but that's the bottom line. Why risk a pick 6 when the chumps can't stop a simple handoff?
  12. docspor

docspor Member

Ratings Received:
    +30
    Because we have to play next week. I would hope the KY game can be more useful than just notching a w.
  13. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    I know ... that's why it was great to get to work on the power running game with the oline and Matt Jones finally looking healthy ... that is certain to pay dividends next week and beyond ...
  14. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,566
    Very astute. I like how you put that.
  15. ArtDeco

Ratings Received:
    +484
    Would you rather run flea flickers, turn it over twice, and notch an 'L" ?
  16. ArtDeco

Ratings Received:
    +484
    Muschamp did use this as a practice- for Hardin on the long FG attempt. No way he makes that, hard for Sturgis to nail that one. Champ was basically putting him to a helluva test. Wanted him to know what an SEC game FG kick was like. Heck, if you remember, we even called a timeout to ice our own kicker!
  17. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,118
    Did the #2 QB take any snaps?
  18. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +230
    He actually took all the snaps. : )