Penalties!

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gator07, Sep 28, 2013.

1. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    After 10 penalties in each of the first two games we've only had 11 in the past two for a total of about 75 yards. Glad to see some improvement in this area. Maybe we burned some timeouts earlier than we should have to avoid some penalties, but nonetheless hopefully we can maintain that pace. Overall the offense seems to run a bit more smoothly now and hopefully that will help keep our penalties down.

Credit where credit is due.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  2. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,044
    Serious question: why are we always so penalized? Spurrier, zook, Meyer.... Different coach, same results. Strange.
  3. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    SWAG U
  4. gator07

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Its a great question. I think Hungary had a good thread a while back showing that no matter who our coach was, or even how good our team was, statistically we almost always lead the league in penalties. Something has to be going on with that.

I know I've seen other threads that show how many more times we've been on Gameday or been on CBS versus other teams. Maybe we play in more scrutinized games than anyone so we have more penalties?? Who knows.
  5. raycgator

raycgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +101
    I said it before in the game thread, but I think with Murphy getting rid of the ball quicker has eliminated a lot of offensive holding calls the past two games
  6. gator865

gator865 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +21
    Good improvement. Need to keep it up. Go Gators.
  7. gator07

Ratings Received:
    +703
    That plus I bet we have less procedure-type penalties. Even though we are not super-potent on offense we seem to be a little smoother running it at least.
  8. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +744
    I went back and researched and for as far back as I could find stats, we were always first or second in penalties in the conference, almost 20 years. Alabama fluctuated until about a decade ago when they suddenly stayed at 1st or 2nd least penalized.
  9. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +161
    The thing about penalties is when you look at our game day opponents they typically even out. Take last year for example: the teams we were playing were penalized as much as or more than us. Head to head match- ups are really the concern. If the zebras call it even during the game there isn't much to gripe about.
  10. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Referees are human. If you bite their head off, they call more penalties against you.

Muschamp has backed off quite a bit but still paying for his aggression at the refs imo.
  11. 06GATORS08

06GATORS08 Member

Ratings Received:
    +58
    Murphy's Law :) Put in your backup and watch the penalties drop.
  12. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +98
    With Murphy at QB the plays are developing faster. A good part of this is due to Murphy's decision making is very fast and accurate.
    As a result the opposing D is having to slow down their charge across the LOS. The defensive ends and tackles have to stay in their lanes, the D backs have to play further away from the LOS. These two items makes it easier for the team to execute their blocking assignments. In the past three years our QB and O line play was making us very one dimensional offense. At the beginning of this season we got the improvements at RB and the O line. Driscoll (who I like) does not have the command of the game like Murphy does.

The play that I liked most last night was the lazar like shot from Murphy at the UK goal line. The Gator O-line gave Murphy excellent protection, the UK defense had no idea where the play was going, Murphy, quickly recognized the opportunity, Murphy quickly released the ball, the pass appeared to be blur, it was right in target. The receiver (Burton?) did a great job of pulling it in.