Pedestrian Passing Game #1 Problem

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorDad, Sep 8, 2013.

1. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Don't say that they'll chastise you.
  2. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +885
    Honestly, more than that. I still think UM's Defense isn't really that good.

I want a QB that will sense pressure better and throw the ball away, or scramble. Not take the sack/fumble or throw a pick.

I want a QB that makes the easy throws and leads receivers correctly every time (note, I said "easy" throws).

I want a QB that will consistently throw it down field when there are open receivers down field. The one long pass of the game was a good play by Patton, not a good throw by JD.
  3. jisgator

jisgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +114
    And as I have said. I don't believe that we have the players in place with enough skill, experience and confidence for that yet. Remember. Driskel wasn't Muschamp's recruit. And any receivers that were are all only true or redshirt freshmen or sophomores. I have never said that I think we're running a great offense, we're not. But as I have also said, I find it very hard to believe that WM hired Pease from Boise State to to run a boring, pedestrian offense. Obviously the coaches don't think that their players are yet capable of running a more wide open system.
  4. jisgator

Ratings Received:
    +114
    But 22/33 for 291 is hardly non serviceable.
  5. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +885
    And this is where I disagree with you. If we had a quarterback that could do all of those things that I listed, I think that the rest of our offense wouldn't seem as unskilled, inexperienced or untalented.

If we took Teddy Bridgewater's OL and receivers and put them on our team with Driskel, I would expect similar results from Driskel.

I know it's not fair to compare JD to TB, just sayin'.
  6. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +588
    I'm sure we have enough skill around JD. Or maybe Miami just had a habit of leaving at least one of them open almost every play. JD has pizz poor awareness and decision making ability.
  7. jisgator

Ratings Received:
    +114
    Ok, let's for the sake of discussion agree that Driskel has reached his ceiling. Well remember, he wasn't a Muschamp recruit. Meyer brought him in. So everyone need to chill out and back off of Muschamp and Pease until they have their guy in place.

Maybe a lot of people don't know this but we already have a commitment for next year from a QB named Will Grier. As a junior last season, he threw for 5,785 yards and 69 td's. In a playoff game last year, he threw for 837 yds and 10 td's in just that 1 game.

When he comes in, if our offense still struggles to score points then i'll start questioning Muschamp.
  8. raquetclub

raquetclub Member

Ratings Received:
    +63
    JD's skill set doesn't really match with the manager role he gets sometimes. We need him rolling out often, limited to 1 or 2 reads, not thinking too much, getting a lot of reps, being a constant run threat on passing plays.

With this ball control philosophy, he is just playing scared and overthinking things, and he just doesn't protect the ball well enough or make decisions well enough to be that guy.

Gotta just unleash him and try to get some value out of his tools, and take the good with the bad.
  9. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,065
    I don't understand why Driskel can't give up on a play at this point. Freshman thrown into the grinder at LSU, sure. But at this stage he should be able to do it automatically. Three reads and scrambling, that's throw away 90% of the time. In the red zone, quick read, not there, throw away. Don't take a sack with 30 seconds left, check.

I was in a QB camp in HS where the coaches literally made me throw the ball away like 10 times in a row because I wanted to make the play every time. They set it up that all my reads (you know, in my case, like one or on really elaborate plays, two) weren't available. After that, I got it.

Now obviously the scale and scope (and talent) in this case are quite different. But the general concept isn't. I knew that sometimes trying to do the spectacular was acceptable, but usually not. Our RB would probably bust a move on the next play so long as there was a next play. Or the next play we'd get someone wide open or at least one on one. Throwing late in the middle and into crowds were benchable offenses.

JD is reluctant to throw deep into moderate coverage but he'll sling one after mayhem has broken a play into napkin routes. Clearly I don't know what goes on in practice, but coaching has to get a mention here.
  10. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +166
    If there was no other stat or factors for the passing game except that one things would be great. But there are other stats and other factors - like turnovers, throwing over the head of a wide-open receiver in the end zone, not seeing another wide open receiver 40 yards down field, etc.
  11. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    I just don't think hes got it upstairs football wise. Seems JD has talent but hasn't taken that final step. Hes in his third year starting. Not sure that this is pretty much his ceiling.
  12. TyWilliamsGator

TyWilliamsGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    We moved the ball. We had 415 yards of offense. We doubled there T.O.P. we actually threw the ball decently well. WORK ON THE RED ZONE. Our offense is not "great" or "explosive" but it won't be. We can't afford to give the ball away after driving to inside there 25
  13. jisgator

Ratings Received:
    +114
    Sigh..... Just for the record he did throw downfield. You don't have a 13.2 yards per attempt with just screens and flat passes. However, you obviously haven't seen my other comments about our self destructive nature. I said there is hope not that his play was or is perfect.