Pedestrian Passing Game #1 Problem

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by GatorDad, Sep 8, 2013.

1. GatorDad

GatorDad New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    The primary problem we have on offense is a pedestrian passing game. It is not able to stretch the field, or hit receivers in stride. I put this all on the coaches and JD. Most every pass we complete has the receiver reaching back, or standing still waiting for the ball. Opposing defenses don't worry about us hitting big plays because the passing game doesn't seem to threaten it. Now why does this problem persist. Clearly it is because either we don't practice it, the coaches are afraid to run these plays in a game, or Driskel can't make the plays consistently. When you don't allow the offense to run aggressive pass plays in games against lesser competition, how do you expect them to all of sudden become a confident well-oiled passing team when you need it.

I'm afraid that Muschamp has already taken the wind out of UF's sails. We have too long a history of exciting innovative offenses for the fan base to accept this type of football. I'm bored with it, as are many fans. If we have freshman that can make plays, we need to play them and try to energize the offense. Dunbar, Patton and Burton are merely serviceable at WR, as are Jones/Brown at RB. Many teams get great play of freshman at skill positions, we need to try getting the ball to Robinson, Fullwood and Taylor and see what they can do.

Not ready to call Muschamp Zook redux, but it starting to look that way from the stands.
  2. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +459
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. JD is a good QB, but he's not the answer. He makes some good throws, but there are just too many "not good" ones in between. It just seems like he's a second behind where he needs to be. The throw to Patton ended up good, but it really wasn't a good throw... It's really frustrating to me, I really want him to finally "click".
  3. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +162
    Driskel will never be a touch QB in this program, where we don't practice timing routes. Our timing routes are banging up the middle with a RB. When he throws it down the field and someone is open, good things happen. When he throws into 3 man coverage of the receiver he wants to hit, bad things happen. I have always said, when we get up two TD's then we can be conservative. We now are conservative from the start of the game to the end to where it is only in desperation do we throw the ball. How does this hire look now!
  4. Hill_Raiser

Hill_Raiser Member

Ratings Received:
    +84
    I'd take Zook. He could beat Georgia.
  5. Gatorphenom

Gatorphenom New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Meanwhile players like James Winston and J Football are killing it.......
  6. IH8REFS

IH8REFS Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    The WRs and RBs are fine. JD is not. He has trouble with the things this offense asks him to do. It's up to Pease to realize this and play to his strengths. Simplify. Give him true/false instead of multiple choice. It's the only chance this offense has.
  7. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Right. We rarely make big plays and score points from the passing game because we rarely hit receivers in stride vertically. We hit Patton a couple of times yesterday, missed Dunbar. We can hit the Crossing routes in stride but those just barely get us across the sticks.
  8. jisgator

jisgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    22/33 for 291 yards. But yeah you're right, there's no hope at all.
  9. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,631
    Spread the OL and offense out and just let Pease call it his way on down and distance and field position. Give Driskel more of a comfort zone to run a little more at times and let him improvise, and it's when he's at his best.

That's my .02.
  10. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +564
    Two awful picks and a fumble by Driskel cost us a minimum of 13 points. That was the game.
  11. 619_Gator

619_Gator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +404
    It's Driskel. I sat up in the stands yesterday and watch receivers get separation and run open all day. He wouldn't throw to them. Plus... We threw the ball 33 times. How many throws does it take to be non-pedestrian? 291 yard. The turnovers killed us. It was not due to the design or style of offense. We left a ton on points on the field due to poor execution and turnovers by an average QB.
  12. jisgator

jisgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    You're right and I would add to that the 10 penalties. I didn't say he played a perfect game. What was saying was that his numbers don't point to a pedestrian passing game or that he hasn't shown improvement from last season. He clearly has improved and there are signs that he can be successful. As I stated in another thread, we must as a team find a way to stop self destructing, which includes those picks and fumble, AND that missed throw for a sure touchdown down the left seam. But there is hope.
  13. TampaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +564
    Driskel often looks like he's in over his head. He won't even sniff the NFL the way he is playing.
  14. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +531
    We have no tight end, an inconsistent Oline, a qb who makes a lot of mistakes. We aren't there now. We need more and better recruiting and player development.

Muschamp is fine. He understands this game far more than zook ever did. He is recruiting well. He needs time period.
  15. TampaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +564
    Ah, yes, penalties...we seem to excel at beating ourselves... :beat:
  16. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,584
    I mentioned this type of thing after the win against LSU this year.
    JD would see an open receiver but held on to the ball.
    I think his nature is to scramble and run and lacks confidence to throw the ball in tight space.
    He has had a year under his belt, another spring and fall and I just don't think he will get much better.
  17. GatorDad

GatorDad New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Pedestrian in that it is barely serviceable. 33 throws for 291 is not that exciting with 5 yard pass completions are on 3rd and 8. Anyone can see the passing game is not in attack mode, it is in a safe/scared mode.
  18. jisgator

jisgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perfectly stated!
  19. jisgator

jisgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    That's 8.8 yards per attempt. And 13.2 yards per completion. Barely serviceable? What the heck do you want?
  20. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    Let JD sling it all over the years place, he'll never feel comfortable throwing the ball if only does it in high pressure situations.