Pease

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gulfgator, Oct 13, 2013.

1. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 All Glory to Zarathustra VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,777
    BINGO
  2. GeomatGator

GeomatGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    Never gonna happen with Muschamp. I assure you he was perfectly satisfied with the way our offense "controlled the ball" yesterday. That's all he cares about, making his baby - the defense - look good.
  3. tomis_gator

tomis_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    His defense didn't look good yesterday...they were manhandled and LSU ran all over them.
  4. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,441
    Let's see how many teams hold them to 17 points before making that a final judgement.
  5. GeomatGator

GeomatGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    Exactly. The offense holding the ball and running clock held LSU to 17 points. Mission accomplished.
  6. tomis_gator

tomis_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Put down the stat sheet and use your eyes. LSU did what they wanted on offense...17 points is quite respectable when you consider 1) how long they had the ball and 2) how conservative their offensive game plan was.
  7. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,069
    Well maybe Pease inherited an offense at Boise that he couldn't develop himself? I find it too hard to believe we would bring a capable OC in and tell him not to do what made him successful, unless you(any person) wants to believe Coach Muschamp wants his defense to shine above the offense.
  8. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +166
    I don't know what plays any OC was supposed to have called yesterday when Murphy was under constant pressure and when the RBs almost never had much running room. I thought the OL's performance was abysmal (along with whoever was supposed to be picking up blitzes) and without an effective OL there isn't a whole lot any OC can do.

I do continue to be surprised that when we have the ball around the other team's 10-15 yard line we never seem to throw a pass into the end zone. Seems like a pass into the end zone on first down would come as such a shock to the other team's defense that it would be an easy TD.
  9. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,418
    Wasn't Bama interviewing Brent as well just before we hired him?

Interesting that the most successful College coach had interest in him. I can't believe everyone (including him) was duped, can you?
  10. tomis_gator

tomis_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Pease made some dumb calls yesterday but with that line it would have been impossible for any OC to be successful; they were absolutely terrible...I watched a lot of college football yesterday (fist time this season I watched more than two games) and our line was the absolute worst of anything I saw...it wasn't even close.
  11. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    I definitely have to agree that by the eye test, Florida's defense was handled pretty ably by LSU's offense. However, I still don't think that you can completely explain LSU's 17 points by TOP and conservative play calling.

LSU had 7 meaningful possessions against Florida: 2 TDs, 1 FG, 3 punts, 1 TO
    Against MSU, LSU had 12 meaningful possessions: 8 TDs, 1 FG, 2 punts, 1 TO
    Against Georgia, LSU had 10 meaningful possession: 5 TDs, 2 FG, 2 punts, 1 TO (downs)

Clearly Florida's defense wasn't perfect, but they didn't simply ride the TOP train either.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. UFLAW81

Ratings Received:
    +3,777
    I can't say if we scored 24 points LSU would not have scored 34.
    LSU played down to the level of our offense with the mindset if you don't make mistakes you will win.
    So I wonder, how good is our defense, really?
    We were gashed by Arkansas in the first half and gashed by LSU almost at will.
    Are we covering up our weakness on defense by holding the ball between plays on offense and running the clock down?
    Is WM simply defending his reputation as a defensive guru by keeping the ball away from opposing offenses? WWZD?
    Well, anyway, there is a season ahead to prove this right or wrong.
    If it is right, then the very best AD is world history better find a way to raise money to replace the loss of booster contributions.
  13. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,087
    You keep saying this often enough, it may even be true. Usually, when this is said, the poster (not saying you, per se) has a beef with the head coach. it was the same with Zook and Strong, even though Strong repeatedly denied it. But who blamed Meyer for micromanaging Mullen and Addazio (there was far more evidence to support that) or Spurrier over Jon Hoke, Bobby Pruitt and, yes, Ron Zook? Or his DCs at USCe?

In short:

* If you love Boom, you blame Pease;
    * If you do not love Boom, you say Pease is micromanged;
    * if you are neutral, you say it is a combination of playcalling, philosophy, execution and talent. Not to mention the quality of the opponent.
  14. tomis_gator

tomis_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Our defense clearly played better that Georgia's joke of a defense (watch how good they'll look against us) did against LSU.

Another explanation is that their defense didn't create any turnovers ( although they did drop 2-3 interceptions) and give their offense an extra possession or two.
  15. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    Clearly, we have no real way to know what Pease's level of control is, but it does feel weird that his offense looks the way it does, considering his BSU teams' style. Muschamp has publicly said that he doesn't limit Pease's play-calling, so we must believe that this is true. However, it wouldn't surprise me to find that the tone is a bit more like this: "You can run any play that you want Brent, but we better not turn it over in our own territory and fail to run the ball...or else." [followed by 12 minute long Muschamp stare]

Personally, it seems like we have an execution problem. Driskel, OLine, RBs, reveivers all seem like they could do a better job executing. If they did, our current play calls might lead to an excellent offense, without any other change.
  16. UFLAW81

Ratings Received:
    +3,777
    Six points.
    No TD's
    Really?
    It is philosophy.
    Are we back to the fifties?
  17. tomis_gator

tomis_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    And when so many different units are exhibiting the same problem, I think it's pretty clear that the coaching is at fault.
  18. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,087
    Didn't say he was HAPPY with the result, any more than Spurrier was happy with the six points he scored against Miss State in 1992 - his third year...
  19. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,387
    The westbrook play was beautifully designed. He was wide open for a TD. Oline missed two guys.

Now that could still be a coaching issue...but it was a great design and the right call.

Sent from my All knowing Android Device
  20. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    This assumes no other differences between teams. Which is a pretty dumb assumption, really.