Pease

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gulfgator, Oct 13, 2013.

1. gulfgator

gulfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +196
    I always wonder why most of the offensive coaching issues are focused on CWM.
    Sure, he's the head coach and is a big influence on the style of O, but the actual play calling falls on Pease, who really is at best a pedestrian O coordinator. His only real success at scoring points, was when Petersen coached the offense at Boise.

I like the guy, but I have serious doubts if UF can take the next step with him calling and designing the playbook.

CWM is a great defensive coach, if he gets a better play caller, the Gators would be playing for it all, pretty soon, imo.
  2. gatorlaw71

gatorlaw71 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    Play calling is just one part of offense.

Play design is only part of it.

Offensive formations are only a part of it.

Recruiting players and then putting them in the best positions to use their ability are only part of it.

Strength and conditioning are only part of it.

Teaching skills and practicing them over and over is a big part of it. You can see it in the games that we don't practice passing game skills enough. That includes pass blocking, route running, receiver skills, QB skills, audibles adjusting to different defensive alignments at the line of scrimmage, and timing basics.

A coach's philosophy towards offense may be the most fundamental part of it. It's where all the other parts of good offense start. If a coach thinks dominating time of possession is more important than moving the football and scoring points, then that coach does not understand, or respect, all the skills and parts of a good offense. No only will he not be good at teaching those skills, he won't even be aware that there are skills he's supposed to be teaching.

It follows as sure as night follows day that the coach's team will be deficient in all the other parts of offense.

And we are.
  3. gator1gear

gator1gear Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +226
    I don't believe Pease has complete control of the offense. I can't imagine any OC would add this offense to his resume willingly.
  4. ces1948

ces1948 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +303
    I would almost guarantee that if through some strange occurrence Pease became the head coach today the offense would change dramatically by the next game.
  5. g0ggles

g0ggles Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    For me, playcalling is not the issue. Burton was open off the corner route was wide open, but pressure forced Murphy off his read. The bootleg to Westbrook in the 4th that murphy missed due to 2 players missing a block. There was other play in the 2nd qtr that murphy missed a wide open receiver also. Make one of those plays, the outcome of the game may have turned out differently.
  6. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    i used to think that but changed my mind. If this is true, then he should resign because why would you sign your name on to this unless it really is yours. If he leaves involuntarily, his career as an OC is over.
  7. GATORDONE

GATORDONE New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    He hired him and he is ultimately responsible. End of story
  8. barfow

barfow New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    When the head coach claims that you can't recruit the best defensive players with a fast paced offense, doesn't it follow that you won't recruit the best offensive players when the offense is designed to shorten the game. Watching this offensive scheme is like watching paint dry. There has to be some compromise because Willy ball is hard to watch on offense. We don't have the running backs like Alabama does and they are still capable of passing when they need to. As I remember, we still had some pretty good defenses when the Fun and Gun was averaging 40+ points a game. Bring back some excitement instead of hoping to win with 17 points.
  9. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +159
    This ^^^ is right on the money! We had 2 plays that would have been TDs had someone just blocked their man! Nobody covered Westbrook at all. He was standing all alone in the end zone watching Murphy get hammered! The other play would have been to Burton for almost a sure TD since the safety had blitzed and the corner followed our WR. Both time Murphy didn't even have a prayer of a chance to throw the pass. The O-line needs to stand up and admit they blew this game. Murphy was trying to take the heat in the press conference, which just shows what a class act he is.
  10. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    Most of the top offensive players don't want to play in a boring 3 yards & a cloud of dust offense
  11. BigSlick

BigSlick Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    We were calling the plays during the game I'm sure les knows more than we do
  12. gators8

gators8 Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
    Hard to believe we have gone from the Fun' & Gun and the and whatever you want to call the offense that Meyer had to what we have now......like watching weeds grow.
  13. GeomatGator

GeomatGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    Watch Boise's offense under Pease and then watch ours. It is not the same. Not even close. Pease is clearly limited by Muschamp's philosophy.

....and no, we will not be playing for it all under Muschamp soon.
  14. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    Wow, I think Kerwin would have been a lot better answer in that he would know at least what would work and not. Pease doesn't know if he wants to run or if he wants to pass. But his line of scrimmage or behind it passing game, someone should tell him, this doesn't work in the SEC. Of course Will doesn't know offense so he can't help.

Our second possession I knew we gave them the game at this point, great field position, run first down, pass at the line of scrimmage, stop for no gain, third down run, no first down. Clearly LSU knew at this time, we would continue this insanity for the rest of the game with worse field position, they were in the drivers seat with the momentum now. Basically, we said, ya'll keep trying to score because we ain't!

For those who say we should have run more, that's funny.

As for coaching, we coach not to fail, not coaching to win. For this you have to score TD's.
  15. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    On defense. With this offense, we need to score tds on defense.
  16. hendu24

hendu24 Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    WM had said multiple times in his PC that he tells Pease to just run the ball. He has way to much influence into the game plan/play calling, he's handcuffing BP IMO.. I agree with other people if WM was fired and BP took over this offense would look totally different
  17. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    This is laughable look at the two resumes and tell me who you would hire.
  18. GeomatGator

GeomatGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    Pease is a better hire than Kerwin. But Kerwin left alone to run the offense is better than Pease handcuffed by Muschamp.
  19. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,407
    He's coaching a backup QB, who is trying his best, and a weak Oline. His best blocking back was injured. Receivers are getting open, just not in time. He's letting Murph check down to the short pass, but everybody and his brother knows that is coming and we get 0 or 1 yards from those.

He's got a talent dilemma right now.
  20. gulfgator

gulfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +196
    CWM is clearly one of the best defensive coaches in the game. That is a bigger piece of the puzzle for winning championships, than a good offense, imo. Look at how many weak to mediocre teams can play a little offense. very few can play defense.

There are some personnel issues on offense no doubt, but I contend UF has plenty of talent to be a decent offense. It's time for this staff to have an epiphany and blow up the STAT SHEET, which appears to be hanging around UF's offensive game planning like a albatross.