Pease, Gators Not Measuring Success on Yards, Just Wins

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by TheGator, Sep 3, 2013.

1. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,830

http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=26162
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,358
    They want Spurrier's Florida teams. High flying passing offenses that averaged 500+ yards a game and half a hundred (in their minds). They want to be ENTERTAINED. Wins are no longer enough.
  3. scamgtr

scamgtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    Are you not ENTERTAINED?
  4. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,358
    Not really. But a win is a win, whether it is 17-3 or 44-20.

1984: Average score against AQ conference competition: 21-12
    1985: Average score against AQ conference competition: 26-15

Both teams went 9-1-1
  5. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +531
    I thought the game Saturday was great. Team looks much improved on offense, and I expect them to look even better against UM. Everyone else can pop in a Betamax of an old Spurrier-lead team, grab a jar of hand cream and entertain themselves all night long for all I care.
  6. gatorbrah

gatorbrah New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    This might be a bit outside the scope of this thread, but does anyone know Pease's gameday routine? Is he on the field during warm ups and in the locker room for the pre-game speech? When does he go up to the box and does he come down to the locker room for halftime?
  7. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +740
    Very, very true. Wins are a by-product of the entertainment value in some fan's eyes apparently. Which IMO--is utter horsechit. Some of these 'fans' have voiced their disgust with the offense to the point of a 900 post thread and counting, and can't accept wins as being successful. The game shouldn't even be played if we can't rack up 30 pts by halftime and amass 350 yds passing in the first half. Screw the end result--it damn sure ought to be exciting. If we win--hey, that's cool. If not--well we damn sure look great slinging that ball around didn't we. Unbelievable how so many 'fans' have crawled out from under some newbie rocks this year to be the most bellyaching, whining bunch of experts we have ever seen here in GC. Even years ago--before this site came to rest where it is now, and was on the other site....we never had the intensity of 'entertainment fetished fans' that we are seeing this year. Absolutely amazing what is happening in here lately.

I would much rather run the table throughout the season squeaking out wins each week by 3 point average, with the average score of 17-14, win the SEC 10-7, win the BCS 21-17..........than to average 48 pts/game....560 yds/game....and have a wonderful 9-3 record while watching UGA or USCe go to Atlanta while we end up playing in the Chic-fil-A bowl on Dec 31.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. coldsteel120

coldsteel120 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    84 team may be the best we ever had.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,345
    Ah, entertained in that analogy would be akin to us putting 85 or more points on our opponents.
  10. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,374
    Well he's right.
  11. gatorrocks

gatorrocks Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    I couldn't care less how we win. I loved what I saw on Saturday.
  12. kalaniocc

kalaniocc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +777
    here we are now, entertain us.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. GatorEst1992

GatorEst1992 Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    I love the hard nosed punch you in the mouth run game, I may be young but I'm an old school kinda guy can't wait to see what Matt Jones does on saturday, my FSU buddies don't believe me when I say Jones is a lot better running back than wilder
  14. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +167
    Muschamp's style may not be in vogue now, however it can be very effective. When Muschamp get's the talent and depth (we are very close) to where he wants it, we will be a very formidable team.

Here is an article on the 1990 Giants, who our current team seems to be mirroring.
    Parcell's defeated the Bills, who had much more offensive talent.

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/09000d5d80631278/article/parcells-1990-coaching-staff-was-ultimate-super-group

Enlightening on ball control and tough D.
  15. GATORDONE

GATORDONE New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    At the end of the day coaches are sales guys. unbelievable at spinning. Very good
  16. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +258
    You can't win 11 nail biters every year...eventually the ball doesn't bounce your way or refs make a bad call and you lose a game you shouldn't

I can appreciate the physical style of play...but we recruit the kind of guys that should be able to score points in bunches
  17. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Haha yeah that's what I thought when I read this headline from gator zone, the mouth piece of the program.
  18. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +167
    The better our O gets, the easier it should be to dominate. Anyway, it will be great to say we won National Championships with the Fun N Gun, the Spread, and Boom's power O. Let's hope Boom will be successful.
  19. Jrok79

Jrok79 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    Points in bunches will come, even if we keep running a lot. Just like Bama, because of the athletes we are getting , we will get sharper and pop bigger plays, because we execute better and have elite weapons. We are just seeing Showers, Burton and Dunbar look very comfortable, and we are just getting Fulwood & Drob. Patton's back and looking great ftmp, and we haven't seen Purifoy yet. We also have the Nigerian nightmare (Ajagbe), and the other tight ends will give us some things. Then we have Matt Jones aka WeaponX coming back, plus we have Brown, KT, and a very explosive surprise in Herndon that looks like he was shot out of a cannon. He's gonna pop a few later in games. Driskel also made pretty big improvements IMO, and I think we will have more scoring soon. This team is pretty damn loaded, and our defense is just ridiculous. Just think, Cook is coming to add the home run to our attack, and Grier and Lane will be fun to watch too. The future is bright. FSU loses Winston after next year, most likely and we will have Grier ready to go. He's a natural thrower and I think we would look more like Boise with Moore, than now with Driskel. Champ has recruited and developed talent at a incredible level, we are very lucky.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    It is coach speak.

Of course wins matter, but it is about setting up the infrastructure to create what is needed to produce wins.

You cannot simply say "I want wins" and then have wins magically appear.

Wins are a byproduct of how you play. Certain levels of play in certain aspects or combination of aspects of the game have been statistically proven to lead to wins. Doing those things well is the ONLY way to consistently win. Sure you can do all the important things poorly and still win occasionally, but it is not sustainable and you will ultimately lose.