Paul George...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by demosthenes, Aug 1, 2014.

1. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
  2. diamondted13

diamondted13 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    What a freak, disgusting injury! To think I was just watching a few minutes of this game during the first half. Then I put on ESPN an hour later and Coach K and Colangelo look like their at a funeral during a live press conference. I knew it would be gross, especially since the headline said "leg injury", as opposed to knee or ankle injury. I made the mistake of watching a replay. Do yourself a favor and don't watch it, unless you're just into stuff like that. I never thought I'd see anything worse than Kevin Ware, but this might be worse.
  3. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +874
    Gross, I feel like this thread title should come with a warning about that pic!!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,242
    they were interviewing one of the reporters who saw it and they said they put a blanket over it while they were tending to him because it was so tough to look at and people close could see it.
  5. co_gator89

co_gator89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,540
    Just hope he can come back and be something close to the player he is now. Prothro and Theismann never played again after that happened to them.

Also found this little gem from Dockett. Posted this in the other thread, but I'll put it here too.

6. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +701
    As long as we're giving the O-Dome an overhaul, this might be a good time to reconsider the placement of the goal stanchions. Nerlen Noel's injury a couple of years ago might have been avoided.

Jeremy? You reading?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. hoopstar

hoopstar Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    Nerlen's knee blew out as soon as he landed after chasing a FL player down the court after a FL steal. The position of the goal stanchion had nothing whatsoever to do with his knee collapsing on him. Injury's like this happen from time to time in basketball - very seldom though. Nerlen bumped into the stanchion after his knee gave way. Fla played a nbr home home games in the O-Dome that season and last and that was the only incident of that magnitude.
    IMO, the media tables on both sides of the court, cheerleaders & photographers pose more danger to a player than the goal stanchions as they are just a few feet off the court.
    Basketball is just plain hard on the knees & ankles. Gruesome injuries like Ware, George & Nerlen are the exception. I think if the truth be known, there may have been structural issues with the player leading up to injuries like these, maybe a hairline fracture or something. I witnessed first hand-up close- Nelen's injury and Ware & George on TV. All three injuries brought me to tears as it was very painful for me to see a young man suffer such a life changing injury. At the end of the day it's a risk all athlete's take playing any sport & unfortunately some experience. We can design the best arena's & minimize all the risk, but it will not prevent all the injuries from happening. A good example was our own Devon Walker who recently tore his ACL in the practice facility. His knee just buckled & gave way while planting to shoot. Crap just happens sometimes GatorPlanet without any explanation!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. RD_gator

RD_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +187
    An R-rated warning for all the ones here with child-like hearts!

Terrible looking injury, feel bad for Paul George. Did it occur like the Nerlins Noel injury (i.e the knee/leg hits the 'padded' goalpost but the leg gets broken upon impact of the ground)? If so then the design of the basketball goal post should be looked at to increase the safety of the players! Perhaps moving the support of the post back:

[​IMG]

Click on the pic to get a closer view of the goalpost!
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  9. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +701
    Hoopstar, I realize we can't make the game injury-free. However, we SHOULD do what we can to make it reasonably safe, especially when there are low-hanging fruit that can be picked. Installing a different stanchion with a longer neck on the upright is probably low-hanging fruit. Moving scorers' and media tables back a couple of feet might be low-hanging fruit, if we're redesigning the seating anyway.

I believe the nature of play at the goal makes it a riskier area for players than the sideline areas. When a player is finishing a fast-break, he tends to turn and look to see if he made the hoop. Paul did that and got hurt. Noel did that and got hurt. I did that and got hurt. My injury was just an ankle sprain, but the idea is the same.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +290
    Sad to see this happen but this same exact thing happened to me playing basketball in high school. I was playing a pick up game and broke my left tibia (left shin) in half!! It was a Kevin Ware type of landing for me however. I was in 4 different casts for 4 months and still have a titanium rod in my leg ( no I don't go off at the airport). I hope PG doesn't have a D. Rose type of body and makes a full recovery.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +874
    Nerlens Noel got hurt while trying to block Mike Rosario's layup attempt. He did not hit his knee or leg on the backstop of the hoop while trying to look back to see if he made a hoop, his knee blew as soon as he landed. He landed with his leg fully extended, resulting in a hyperextension and tearing of the collateral ligament. There is nothing that could have been done to avoid that injury, short of modifying human biomechanics or putting players in full knee braces like O-linemen in football.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,509
    Dayum. Feel for you, dude.

My wife is a doctor and she is pretty sure George and Ware both must have had some kind of underlying structural problem like a bone cyst or preexisting fracture, for the tibia to snap like that.

From personal experience was that a factor in your case? (if you feel like sharing)
  13. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +290

You are 100% correct sir! It is funny how things have come full circle because I am a hospital pharmacist now. In my case, during the time period of the broken tibia, I had a dull/achey pain (which is a cardinal signal for bone pain) in my leg when I would cut a certain way on the basketball court.

It was in the late spring, so I was running track for my high school team at the time. Each day after track practice, I would go home and train for basketball (my favorite sport). I reported the pain to my track coach who told me just to "duck" walk and I would be fine. However, the pain got worse over time. My mother finally made me go to the doctor to get it checked out. The doctor told me that I didn't have good arch support in my feet. He also said that I developed cracks in my bone that he termed stress fractures (most people call them shin splints). Of course, the best way to treat something like that is RICE (rest, ice crompression, elevation) therapy; which is what he recommended.

Unfortunantley, I didn't listen to that doctor. I was convinced that if I missed more than a couple of weeks of "training" that I wouldn't be able to achieve my goal of playing in the NBA. I wasn't tall (only 6 feet), so my thought was to outwork everybody else in order to have a chance. I had a natural ability to jump really high (I was getting really close to touching the top of the backboard..no lie) and could shoot pretty well for my age at the time. So I went back to training and playing pick-up basketball games. Well, about 3 weeks (it was the start of summer by this time) after the doctor told me to rest, I went to play a pick up game at the Kelly Recreation Center in Lakeland, Florida. During the game, I went up for a dunk, but this older/bigger guy came up to block it. In mid air his leg hit the exact spot of my stress fracture!! My bone snapped in half and I landed just like Ware did. After landing everybody on the court gathered around and told me not to look at my leg. Of course, that prompted me to look at my leg and that is when I went into a state of shock! I never lost conscious but the pain was so bad after I looked down at my leg, I wish I did lose it. There are no words to describe that kind of pain. I was rushed to the ER and was subsequently rushed to surgery.

Again, like I said before, they put a titanium rod in my leg and I had to wear four different casts for four months. The rehab was really tough and I could never jump as high as I did prior to breaking my leg. Afterwards, I focused on my grades instead of "training" for the NBA (I was able to make high enough SAT scores to get into UF!). I do feel however, if I did go back to training hard after rehab, I could've been back to 100% without a doubt.

I feel bad for players like Paul George, Kevin Ware and Sam Bowie because this type of injury is really though. With all that said, Paul George could come back stronger than ever if he works hard enough. He just has to put his mind to it. Luckily for me, I finally learned that there are other things to life than playing basketball. I also learned that God has a different plan for my life and I was going to be fine no matter what.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,509
    Helluva ride you went through. Thanks for sharing.
    • Agree Agree x 2